• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Multiplier fly reels

More parts=more weight. I think I will stick to my Schooley reels, nothing is lighter. If I have to fish really deep (rare for me) I will just use a small spinning reel. the heavier jig needed to get deep fast shouldn't have to much spin issues wink

I have a feeling 13 Fishing will have a limited stash themselves if they are selling at the ice shows?

Talked to one of the owners last week and they will be bringing some up to give to their buyers like Reeds and Thorne Bros at the big dance. If you get there early Friday you might have a shot through one of those booths. Would suspect you might have to know someone though. Sheels and Gander will also be carrying them eventually, and would think the non metro stores would offer a better opportunity for preorder. In my neck of the woods, both had plenty of 241's and original black betty's stocked, and had no clue about the new 13 offering, which hints to me, you could still get on the list, since there really was not one yet as far as I could tell from the relatively clueless youngsters. I ended up picking up one of the original black betty's. It was 10 bucks more than the 241, only offerings were combos, and felt the rods and reels were just far superior in quality. and the added "benefits" and savings of the 241 did not seem justified. Still don't know if I would drop a hundo on a reel on just talk though..... a more traditional drag would be nice.....better gear ratio would also, but not often in a situation where i cant chalk up a lost fish to a "quick release" and just go catch another one .....over 99 percent of the time was going to let it go anyway smile

Rick - Those have been around for a long time. Built like a tank! Problem is they are heavy like a tank... close to 10 ounces...

Alot of guys run em for trib fishing salmon out this way on 8-10wt fly rods. That little handle has busted alot of knuckles when a fish takes off. grin

Here is a spot you could get a reel that is similar, more well known as "raft reels".

Raft Reels

A bit of difference though, on the 13 reel, they extended the foot of the reel a bit. Which, is a good thing. But, either way, these types of reels have been around for a little while.

This reel was a HUGE let down...

I've been using an an old martin multiplier for years and prefer that over this reel...the 13 fishing multiplier reel is garbage in my books

straight out of the box the spool won't retrieve when i turn the handle and I can hear things rattling inside, open it up and 5 pieces fall out from the spool side of the assembly...no biggie, put it together, spool some line and start playing with it

the first thing is I can't over how sloppy the reel feels...

second thing - when I turn the handle forward, the spool revolves counter clockwise/backwards, even with the longer reel foot it's impossible to fish with gloves, the line catches so close to your fingers...judging from the quality assembly of my reel I'm assuming something is flipped internally and can be corrected

third thing - after I free spool and turn the handle to engage, it only engages about a 1/3 of the time...on hooksets it disengages randomly...I'm assuming something is over greased or too thick grease, if I give the reel a good tap against my palm it will engage....but I lost fish on the hookset today

for the price I'd prefer any shimano 500-1000 size reel or a martin multiplier fly reel

I heard so many good things about this prototype, and I know that first batch production runs always tend to have issues but I am seriously disappointed with how much i paid for this thing....

Esox_Magnum - when I hold my reel horizontal, spool face down, the spool drops 3-4mm and won't retrieve

I have to angle my hand out when holding the rod to be able to reel in

I've emailed 13 fishing but no reply yet

I bought it from reeds outdoors, from a link on this forum I think....i paid 99 plus 38 shipping....you want another one? I'll sell you mine for 110 (100 for the reel and a few bucks to help with the shipping)

unless they want to exchange a new reel for me, I don't want this thing...(even with a new reel I'd be doubtful after this experience)

does nobody else have a problem with their reel? maybe I got stuck with the lemon...