• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Multiplier fly reels

By now some of you have heard 13 Fishing multiplier fly reel (not the Black Betty). Rumor is very low production and unless your lucky enough to find a dealer or pre-order chances are you wont be seeing one this ice season. The other one available which has seemed to garnered little attention so far is Frabill's 241 which should be widely available currently. Both reels will likely offer an unprecedent experience unlike the typical fly reels. Both reels are said to free spool so the line could fall freely.

Last ice season, about 70% of the time when I was fishing pannies, perch & slabs it was on a fly reel. It really shined on the finicky fish bite. Some wont fish a fly reel type over 15 fow, but for me in 20-30 fow it works just fine when tipped with my favorite tungsten jig or spoon. I wouldnt be hesitant to get my hands on one of these reels this season and use it for bigger fish such as walleyes. I may just go the whole hardwater season without using a spinning reel.

Pictures below were from google image search:

13 Fishing prototype reel:

syo61j.jpg

Frabill's 241

241-2-551x600.jpg

I own one of the Frabill 241 reels and can say that my initial impression of the reel is not that great. I don't want to be too harsh since I've yet to fish with it but it seems a bit sloppy for my taste.

The Frabill reel does have a drag system but I have not put line on it yet so I can't say how smooth it is. Maybee I'll do that this afternoon and get back to you. The Frabill costs $60. I heard rumors of the 13 Fishing reel being about $100. We'll have to see. My goal is to get my hands on one ASAP.

So here's my question: Why are some hesitant to use fly-style reels in deeper water?

That's my question also, what is the benefit for these reels? Yeah, you can reel in faster at a better ratio than 1:1, but for putting you line back down the hole it is still 1:1 and you can't open spool it to drop it down faster. I don't think you gain much by being able to reel in faster?

Also, does the drag on these reels slip while reeling in or do you have to let go of the handle to allow the spool to slip?

I own one of the Frabill 241 reels and can say that my initial impression of the reel is not that great. I don't want to be too harsh since I've yet to fish with it but it seems a bit sloppy for my taste.

The Frabill reel does have a drag system but I have not put line on it yet so I can't say how smooth it is. Maybee I'll do that this afternoon and get back to you. The Frabill costs $60. I heard rumors of the 13 Fishing reel being about $100. We'll have to see. My goal is to get my hands on one ASAP.

$100... blush They will continue to flood the market with these beautiful new overpriced toys every year and the American people will continue to foolishly drool at the mouth.

I love beautiful new overpriced toys. I was able to get my name on the list at a local tackle store. The owner did confirm that each retailer would be given an alotment of these reels and by the time the St. Paul ice show is over these reels will be gone for the season. He did also confirm that the price would be $100 or so. Now I just have to wait until the end of November. I'm on pins and needles.

I'd like to know a little more about that 13 Fishing reel. How does the free spool work? Is it like a baitcaster? Does it have line guide or does the line just pile up on itself?

Would love to preorder one, but I might wait to see some reviews before dropping a Benjamin. I know it might be too late by then.....geez maybe I should just order one. smile

I don't have an issue paying for what I think is or will be a quality product. The prices of decent spinning reels and nice fly reels most are already paying hundreds of dollars.

With all the rumors flying on the 13 Fishing's multiplier fly reel we don't know that the prototype unit we saw is the actual finish product or how many of these reels will be made available to dealers. Heck we dont even have a confirmed product name.

I have a feeling 13 Fishing will have a limited stash themselves if they are selling at the ice shows? If there were pre-orders they are likely all filled by now. Frabills reel may not look purity but what is more important is function. Those of you who do have the 241 reel can you give a thorough review of it features?

Andy and all, clue me in on this. What features does these to reels have over other fly reels? If it's just faster pickup then does the drag slip while reeling? If not I would assume it would break two pound pretty easy. Thanks for any info.

Cant say for sure cause its all just been that, just rumors as far as the 13 Fishing reel. Those who really know are being tight lipped or sworn to secrecy. Feed from searched sites or google provides the detail:

Black Betty 6061

Gearing: 3:1

spool disengages, free-spool when letting out line

drag uses a carbon fiber braking system

spool has a bait clicker

As for the Frabill 241 here are the listed specs straight from Frabill themselves:

Lightweight composite construction for strength and durability, but doesn't feel cold to the skin in frigid temperatures

2:4:1 reel ratio with super smooth drag

2 Plus 1 ball bearing reel

Line feeds straight off of balanced spool, eliminating line coiling and spinning tackle

Over-sized reel handle for ultimate control

Ambidextrous reel for left and right handed anglers

Now if someone who has or owns a 241 can actually chime in on its features on here it be nice. Is it actual free spooling? Are we still pulling lines here or does the line free fall? Does the drag slip when reeling?

What could posdibly be far fetched? I don't think anyone has made any outrageous claims..

You could preorder them several days ago so it cant be too much of a secret smile

DTro, I wasn't implying that any of the speculations on HSO were far fetched, but with all the hype and rumors going around regarding this, some of the specifics on this reel have been and are continuing to become far off from the finished product. I was given information from the head engineer on the details associated with the final product as well as the work detailed within the each prototype. Keep in mind, this wasn't even supposted to be realeased this season. The intentions were to have this on the market in late 2013, but with all of the interest, they are doing their best to get this on shelves before the ice season starts.

Like I said, they are planning on announcing full details real soon.