• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer "dragger"

Born2Fish

I am going to purchase a new harness type deer drag this year and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of what they thought was maybe the best one, or one they would personally suggest I get. I have thought about buying a deer cart, but it just does not seem logical where I hunt. Last year I used one where the actual cord that attaches to the deer seemed very flimsy and stretched a LOT. Price really is not a factor, so anything goes.

I have a buddy that walks in a few miles and he takes a rolled up plastic sled. Ties his deer onto it and drags am out. Works really good of course with snow but also works suprisingly well with just leaves, dirt...

I have used a shoulder harness that works really well. Just lean into it and start walking. I also use it for early ice and pull my ice house the same way.

grin

I have the orange shoulder strap with rope tied to it. Works much better than grabbing a leg and pulling the deer, or by the antlers. You might pay $5 for it. Extremely portable, so i usually have it along when hunting - unless i'm in an area where i can drive the truck up to a dead deer.

Also use it for pulling the ice fishing sled.

I am interested in the roll up sled. I bet that does help some.

I have a buddy that walks in a few miles and he takes a rolled up plastic sled. Ties his deer onto it and drags am out. Works really good of course with snow but also works suprisingly well with just leaves, dirt...
We used those for pulling out Deer and Bear. Word of caution! eek

Watch those antlers on the down hills or load them head back!

It's a pain in the back of the legs to learn that! cry

Watch those antlers on the down hills or load them head back!

It's a pain in the back of the legs to learn that!

They also have a tendency to catch on everything when your dragging them out. So definately load head to the rear.

Anyone ever try attaching a rope to your safety harness and using that to help drag deer? Seems like you'd be able to attach a rope up by your shoulders and then just walk/pull. I suppose it would depend somewhat on what harness you have but it might be a way to use a piece of gear to do double duty. I might have to look at my harness and see what I can come up with.

Anyone ever try attaching a rope to your safety harness and using that to help drag deer? Seems like you'd be able to attach a rope up by your shoulders and then just walk/pull. I suppose it would depend somewhat on what harness you have but it might be a way to use a piece of gear to do double duty. I might have to look at my harness and see what I can come up with.

Yes my new hybrid harness has a loop on the bottom and comes with a tension relief strap/drag strap. Needless to say I want to try it out wink

A high sided ice fishing sled(Otter or similar) is part of my must-have gear for deer hunting. It makes it easier to drag the deer. To get the deer into the vehicle I have a 2x6 that serves as a ramp and just push the deer and sled up that and into the vehicle. One person can comfortably load a full sized deer. The sled catches the blood from the deer in both the vehicle and in the garage. After the deer is cleaned, the sled is used to haul away the bones and scraps.

No joke, the "drag buddy" product is pretty great.. basically lets you attach a couple handles to a deer's head. Now you can get a firm grip on something solid rather than trying to move a 150lb sack of potatoes (seriously, if you've never had to move heavy sacks of potatoes, you're lucky). It's a great addition to a harness or sled, I just dragged my deer by hand.

Sled I've found to be the best for manually humping them out. It doesn't really matter what brand just as long as its big enough to contain the entire deer. I made a shoulder harness out of one of the chintsy fall harnesses that come with your stand. Works good, but don't expect to not break a sweat. smile