• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Check your equipment!

This is a general reminder to everyone that I experienced the hardest way possible:

Check your equipment - especially your bow - during the season. Shoot it as often as you can to make sure you're hitting where you think you are.

The rest of the story: Last night I missed the 170"+ NT that I have been chasing for several years at 22 yards, in a perfect slightly quartering away position with no obstructions in sight. It was a "can't make it up dream situation". I couldn't figure out what happened until this morning when I again shot my bow before work. I hadn't found time to shoot in about two weeks. It turns out my groups are still "arrow touching tight" at that distance, however, they are now 6" low. What a painful reminder about doing the "little things" correctly in order to be successful.

Ouch! Good advise from a hard earned lesson. I take my block target with me on most hunts and try to fling a few arrows before heading to stand.

Hope you get another crack at that bad boy.

Ouch! Good advise from a hard earned lesson. I take my block target with me on most hunts and try to fling a few arrows before heading to stand.

Hope you get another crack at that bad boy.

Yep, exactly as DonBo said. That is a painful lesson and one I bet you won't forget anytime soon. But... that's bowhunting and it's part of why we love this sport and part of why it drives us completely bonkers sometimes. I hope you get another crack at him and I bet the end result is different if you do. Good luck!

Ouch! ya thats going to be a tough one to forget! Who knows, 2nd chances DO HAPPEN! grinwink

Do you suppose your sights got bumped? Screw loosened?

I am sure it has been bumped due to the amount of travel that has occurred with the bow on board (edit/note - the bow was "loose" in the hard case somehow when I got to my location yesterday, and the case was in the pickup box - this is just one opportunity something could have happened). Like I mentioned, I have practiced/shot leading up to, and during the season, however, do to life happening, I haven't had a chance to shoot in the past 10ish days - but I have hunted during that period (mainly leaving from work and going directly to the stand). Stuff happens, but this one hurts.

Sorry to hear. Has to smart. I missed a buck once do to misjudging the distance in an open cornfield. I have since bought a rangefinder. I heard a tip once that once you get your bow dialed in that you should take a sharpie marker and draw appropriate lines to note the site and pin positions in case they do get nocked loose so that you can quickly make an adjustment in the field. A good reason to always have an allen wrench set in your pack. I liek the one that is like a swiss army knife. Good luck and go get em the next time.

"you should take a sharpie marker and draw appropriate lines"

I started doing this last year - You would be suprised how much those Pins get knocked around in the truck- I also bring the Block with me and try to shoot when I get to my destination if possible -Sorry to hear about your experience Northwoods- It does Hurt

Sorry to hear that, bummer. Hope you get to take another whack at him soon!

Question from a newb: I keep my bow in my soft-sided case in the garage. Would there be any negative affects in keeping it there once the temps start to fall? Any negative reaction from the strings or arrows being cold?

Question from a newb: I keep my bow in my soft-sided case in the garage. Would there be any negative affects in keeping it there once the temps start to fall? Any negative reaction from the strings or arrows being cold?

Not a concern to the bow, but the heavier clothes and gloves needed as it gets colder could make a world of difference. Be sure to practice with all your hunting clothes on.

Not a concern to the bow, but the heavier clothes and gloves needed as it gets colder could make a world of difference. Be sure to practice with all your hunting clothes on.

It's a little early for this reminder but in the same vein as practicing with your cold weather gear on: Be sure your gear is cold weather compatible. Example: I usually wear a mesh or net face mask when bow hunting. It's been good to keep cooler and keep the bugs away in warmer weather plus I hear better (I think) wearing them. Late season, zero degrees, the shot presents itself but when I went to anchor on the draw my face mask had frozen from my breath while on stand. I still got the deer but it was not a good shot. I just couldn't feel if I was anchored correctly.

ITNW, sorry to hear the lost opportunity! Best of luck getting another chance!

I hear you. I arrowed a big mature doe at dusk on Dec. 15 in -14 degree weather two years ago. It took me a while to get anchored while wearing my goose hunting parka and overalls. I also felt like I was about to pull my arm out of my socket drawing back 70 pounds. Now I have it dialed back to 60 pounds. And even that much draw weight probably isnt necessary.

Like the others I always try and take a shot or 2 before heading to the stand and always carry a feild tip and if I think something is wrong I will take a shot out if the stand when I get there. I also have everything marked like my peep my limb bolts and the cam's on each side of the limb.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Hope you get another crack at the one you have been chasing.

I also shoot out of my stand with a field point every time out. Bad thing there is if I find something wrong I usually can't fix it out there.

After this my target is going into the truck.

Another possibility that I haven't heard mentioned yet is the peep sight moving, especially if everything else was solid and only the height of your shots changed. Since peeps are rarely 100% secure I've seen this happen many times and most people don't detect a difference while drawing back because they tend not to notice the change with an animal in front of them.

Another possibility that I haven't heard mentioned yet is the peep sight moving, especially if everything else was solid and only the height of your shots changed. Since peeps are rarely 100% secure I've seen this happen many times and most people don't detect a difference while drawing back because they tend not to notice the change with an animal in front of them.

I started thinking about this last night as well. I haven't had a chance to check things out yet due to the sleet/snow and 30+ mph winds up here. Hopefully today.

That's why I mentioned I have my peep marked,I check it constantlly. It is normally the culprit.

How do you mark your peep? I'd be curious, as I've always wanted a good way of doing this. I do have my sights marked for quick referece, but don't have my rest, loop, or peep marked on this bow.

Honestly with work, a young child, and a pregnant wife, I admit my preparation time has taken a serious hit, and on this occaision I was simply happy to get into my stand before deer started coming out (work til about 5 p.m., 30 miles to the hunting land, .5 mile walk).

Overall, lots of good suggestions for folks out there to remember. In my case, it was simply me resting on my laurels and past of not having any such troubles, and having it burn me for the first time at the worst time.

I'll certainly try to learn from this mistake, and probably won't repeat it the exact same way again, but I'm sure I'll screw up again at some point... It only makes the fire burn hotter.

...but I'm sure I'll screw up again at some point...

eek yep, just like the "Don't you hate it when..." thread. We all do it one way or another. Fun to read of others mistakes and issues, this one just happens to be educational as well.

Sharpie trick is a good idea, never heard of that before.

I learned the early and the hard way about practicing with heavy gear on. When I was a wee tike my jacket was so tight in the shoulder that I couldn't get a full draw...