• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Storing Fish for Weekend

amateurfishing

if you go out for weekend trip and limit out within first day what do u do with the fish rest of weekend if no place to store if staying at resort? will resort clean it? keep whole fish on ice in cooler for 2 days? what are choices if staying at resort but using own boat?

I assume most resorts will get your fish cleaned if you don't know how or don't want to. I wouldn't do anything but clean fish (no whole fish for walleye/northern, panfish) and then decide:

1. freeze in freezer

2. keep in fridge in zip locks

3. keep in cooler/ice in zip locks

4. eat a few have a meal for heaven's sake at resort, if you eat two fish from a "limit" you can then keep two more from the next day.

Remember at a minimum a 1" square patch of skin must be on each fillet that will be transported home and if frozen the fish must be frozen in a manner where they can be counted. Don't "blob" together in a bag and freeze in a fashion where they can't be counted unless thawed.

Quote:
Remember at a minimum a 1" square patch of skin must be on each fillet that will be transported home and if frozen the fish must be frozen in a manner where they can be counted.

This law here is the main reason we always had fish fries while fishing. The fish cleaner (me) never could remember to leave that section on the filet. The down side was, we had to have fish fries every day smile

There is a way that you add salt to the ice to get it colder but I can't remember how to do it at the moment.

I would just keep the ones I'm going to eat and put the rest back. Now what are you going to do if you gill hook a fish and it bleeds out? I do find that fish keep much longer when they are swimming around in the lake. Plus it costs less.

Think it through before you put the fish in the live well.

since I am always the fish cleaner I leave the whole skin on walleyes for my buddies. I just tell them it's easier for them to take the whole thing off rather than a patch. Makes my job easier as well. They never complain because they don't want to clean fish. I like it usually.

Something to be careful of if you're staying on a lake with a slot limit is that you can't fillet a fish on the lake. I'm not sure if this applies if you're at a resort but when we camp on Rainy we bring a coolor of ice and just gill and gut our walleyes and fillet them when we get home. I saw a guy get ticketed at the landing for filleting his fish at camp. The big thing is that they need to be able to measure the fish.

What? You caught fish you didn't have to release because of the crazy slot reg's. wink I had thought fillet as normal but do not remove skin. When at LOTW we leave backbone in the show which is sauger or walleye. Sometimes easier to clean them the same as a trout.