• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best boots for hard water

MNCPRGUY

On the top of my list of "must haves" for the upcoming season are new boots. I'm looking for something that will keep my feet warm while resting on the ice in my porty, but not be overly big and bulky. I would like to get something that I could run errands around town in and then spend a couple hours sitting on a pail without changing.

Thanks in advance for your input!

P.S. Planning to attend the porty mod event tomorrow. Can't wait to get the season started!!!

I picked up a pair of Cabela's Inferno boots a couple years ago and love 'em. My feet haven't been cold since I got them and I don't need to change when I get back to town. Depending on what you drive they could be a bit on the big side when driving.

I currently run Lacrosse Alpha Burly 1000 rubber boots. Yes they are actually warm and I have worn them past -30 below. There is a trick to wearing them though and staying warm. 1. is to make sure you only wear one pair of merino wool socks. (That goes for any boot you wear. Never wear two pairs of socks) 2. I dry them after every use with boot dryers. 3. leave them on and don't take off until your home and allow the heat to stay in.

The best part about them is when you have slushy conditions my feet are never wet no matter what.

I use Cabalas 6 point with no insulation, unlike others I will then wear one pair on dry wicks topped with a pair of wool socks. I have hunted and fished in all conditions for many hours over the last 10 years and have been very happy with how this works for me. I do think that it is a good idea to have a set of slip on ice cleats, I had a bad fall last year that ended the year early for me. Good luck with your hunt for the right boot.

I currently run Lacrosse Alpha Burly 1000 rubber boots. Yes they are actually warm and I have worn them past -30 below. There is a trick to wearing them though and staying warm. 1. is to make sure you only wear one pair of merino wool socks. (That goes for any boot you wear. Never wear two pairs of socks) 2. I dry them after every use with boot dryers. 3. leave them on and don't take off until your home and allow the heat to stay in.

The best part about them is when you have slushy conditions my feet are never wet no matter what.

I bought the Cabela's white tail gore tex boots, and they are a bit bulky, but super warm. I always use ice cleats on them to avoid falling down on the ice.

I've found putting the boots on in van before heading out into the cold is the best way to go. I put the socks in the boots, and that way I know they are not wet. I also have had a lot better luck with 1 pair of fox river synthetic wool sock over all the rest i've tried. Someone also recommended spraying your feet with spray on anti perspirant to keep them from sweating.

Been wearing Columbia Titanium Bugaboo's for the last several years and extremely happy with them, if they ever wear out I'll get another pair...I do wear Patigonia sockes with them every day at work or on the ice and yet to have cold feet and my feet have been frostbit years ago and always had a hard time keeping them warm...

I picked up a pair of Baffin boots last winter. They are by far the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. Sounds funny but when wearing them it is like you are walking on pillows. Because last winter was so warm, I really haven't tested them out in the extreme cold yet.

I have some Irish Setter Ice Claws and my feet have never been cold. The have extra thick insulated soles. Otherwise I wore white bunnies for quite a few years and never had cold feet. I would not ever hesitate to go back to the bunnies if my Ice Claws were wet or not available.

mw

I want to throw in my two cents. currently I work up by Prudhoe bay Alaska doing inspections for the pipeline. They issue everyone a pair of insulated "NEOS OVERSHOES" for the arctic weather. Specifically the Explorer STABILicers Mid, Black They go on and off fast and easy. Warm as hell over your normal insulated work or hunting boot, and have screw in stabilizers for the ice. I have a pair of Cabela's Saskatchewan Pac Boots that stay in the closet now because they are difficult to drive in and switching boots to drive stinks cause after a day on the hard water who wants to put on cold driving shoes. Check it out, and hope this info helps at least one person...

After years of getting sick of cold feet and wearing big boots that wore me out; with advice from a friend I purchased the Camuk Extremes. The best hunting and ice fishing boot I've ever worn. It's so incredibly lightweight and warm you wouldn't believe it until you tried it.

I must have the worst luck with boots, I was only able to get 10 months out of my set Alpha Burly 1000 before the sun got to them and cracked, I just siliconed them up and I only got two years out of the Irish Setter Snow Claw XT Boots before they started leaking from the soul. I will admit, I like the rubber style over the traditional pack boot style. They are lighter, dryer boot.

I'm going to give the new Kamik IceTrekker Boots a run this season, I'll let you guys know how they hold up. The specs are promising and price is pretty good at $85~

Removable 15mm Zylex® 2F liners and 11mm Zylex insoles are comfort-rated for -75ºF! Lightweight rubber uppers are waterproof, as are the 1,000-denier adjustable nylon collars, keeping the elements from sneaking over the tops. Moisture-wicking linings keep feet dry, while Loyalty Rubber outsoles with self-cleaning lugs keep muck outside. Imported.

Height: 16".

Average weight: 5.7 lbs./pair.

Men’s whole sizes: 7-13.

Color: Dark Green.