• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can I damage my truck by doing this??

BLACKJACK

Question

Bought something called a 'Critter Getter', its a heat resistant hose that attachs to your tailpipe, the other end goes down into a gopher mound that you've opened up, you let it run for about 10 minutes, the carbon monoxide is supposed to gas them. It attaches to your tailpipe via a hose clamp, the other end narrows down to a 1 1/2 inch piece of pvc that you stick down in the gopher hole, will that restricting hurt the engine of my truck??

17 answers to this question

My uncle did something similar with his jeep and it worked fine without any damage to the vehicle. He had live trapped a skunk that made a home out of his garage. He lived in city limits and didn't want to shoot it and freak out the neighbors. So he took the trap, skunk and all, and put it into a plastic garbage bag and then duct taped a hose to his tail pipe and ran it into the garbage bag. Didn't take long and the skunk was taking a nice long (permanent) nap. Of course in the process the skunk managed to spray my uncle which was great comedy for the rest of us.

My uncle did something similar with his jeep and it worked fine without any damage to the vehicle. He had live trapped a skunk that made a home out of his garage. He lived in city limits and didn't want to shoot it and freak out the neighbors. So he took the trap, skunk and all, and put it into a plastic garbage bag and then duct taped a hose to his tail pipe and ran it into the garbage bag. Didn't take long and the skunk was taking a nice long (permanent) nap. Of course in the process the skunk managed to spray my uncle which was great comedy for the rest of us.

sounds like a lot more work than a garbage can full of water

He thought about that method as well but opted for the other route.

During this process he told me a story of his brother trying to drown a skunk he caught in a live trap. He brought it down to his dock and threw it in the lake thinking it would sink in a couple feet of water. Apparently the skunk knew how to float and was struggling to float/swim with the live trap. Instead of watching the freaked out skunk struggle he grabbed the trap and held it under the water. Well during the drowning process the skunk sprayed under water so all those nasty oils floated to the top where his arms were holding the trap down. Now being sprayed I guess is bad but not nearly as bad as letting your arms soak in a bath of concentrated skunk juice. It might seem obvious to just tie something heavy to the trap instead but if you met these guys you would quickly realize that nothing is really obvious to them. But they do make for some good stories.

It might seem obvious to just tie something heavy to the trap instead but if you met these guys you would quickly realize that nothing is really obvious to them. But they do make for some good stories.
As males "obvious" is not an option. That is an awesome story.

I think modern cars with catalytic converters have very low output of carbon monoxide. Might not do the job. Got a tractor or something?

Looked up the emission standards but couldn't translate grams per mile into PPM without more work than I wanted to do.

I think modern cars with catalytic converters have very low output of carbon monoxide. Might not do the job. Got a tractor or something?

The jury is still out on whether it works. Did a series of mounds on Tuesday night, came back last night, he had dug a couple more, so I opened up one of the new ones and gave him another shot. Will check again this weekend. Been giving them 10 minutes of exhaust time plus I try to open up another hole in the series and get some air flow, I can actually smell the exhaust coming out.

This is a big series of mounds, he might have too many crevaces to get away in, if he digs some more, going to go for the old fashion way and set a couple of traps. Was thinking this exhaust thing would be a time saver over trapping but at this rate...

Did a different series of mounds, only 4-5, lucky him, when I drove up, the hole was open, we'll see whether it works on a smaller complex.

What I'd really like to have is one of those units that shoots a mixture of oxygen and propane down the hole, then you ignite it, killing Mr. Gopher and collapsing the runway. Do a search on 'rodenator' for some neat videos. Kill gophers and have fun doing it!!!