• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to deer hunting

Well not new, but getting back into deer hunting. I use to be in slug zone. Now I go with a friend in rifle zone. I used his extra rifle, but now I want my own. Since you guys will know a lot more than I do, Whats a good starter rifle? Would like to stay in the $400 range. Any ideas? Thanks.

I think the wisest is to get the same as your friend. If either of you run out of ammo, you can borrow from each other. I'm from a large hunting camp, and I use a 338, but it's the only one around. Most use 3006, and that would be my recommendation. There are many different reasons for others, but check price of ammo, before you buy a 338. I couldn't afford to shoot it except, my son gets me ammo at a good price from his work. Good luck in whatever you choose.

huskie, welcome back to a great sport. My opinion is savage makes some of the best and very accurate rifles at the lower end. I was looking a few years ago to buy a cheap varmit rifle and went with the stevens model 200(savages cheap line then).223 it shoots very accurate, bolts smooth, and never fails. I agree with spike on the 30-06 it offers a lot of ammo options. Good luck hunting.

Both are great guns but you won't find a new one for that price! Count on dropping at least $800 for rifle and optics. If you want some optics that'll last at least $1000. Buying used doesn't save ya much and you never know what kinda problems yer buying into. As mentioned, savages are awesome for the $ and you can get a combo for close to that price. The scope will be junk after a couple years but that'll give you a chance to save some more $ for better optics.

I was planning on 30.06. I was looking at remington 700 or weatherby vanguard. What do you guys think? Good bad? Thanks for replies

You will not be disapointed in the Weatherby I have one in 30-06 and I love it. One of the smoothest actions on a rifle I have ever used.

I purchased a marlin xl7 in .270 a few years back. They are great guns and an even better price. I think it's still in your range. Some say the quality went down after being purchased by remington. I can't say one way or another on that.

You would still need to add a scope. I think these rifles are in the mid $300's these days.

Deer and Deer hunting magazine just had an article recently that talked about good budget rifles. I will see if I can find it.

Well not new, but getting back into deer hunting. I use to be in slug zone. Now I go with a friend in rifle zone. I used his extra rifle, but now I want my own. Since you guys will know a lot more than I do, Whats a good starter rifle? Would like to stay in the $400 range. Any ideas? Thanks.

Well, lets be honest. You don't need an '06 to shoot Minnesota deer. Look for a 308 or one of the other 30 cal or even 25 cal rifles that will shoot a 150 gr bullet. You don't need a new, high end whiz-bang rifle either.

Hit the used gun racks. Find a nice Rem, Win, Marlin, or other well made bolt action rifle with or without a scope. Then go shoot,shoot, shoot until you can routinely and easily smack a softball at 100 yards.

You'll find out if optics are okay and if rifle is dependable. It there are problems have them fixed and still be out less than a new outfit.

THEN go deer hunting.

I couldn't agree with Ufatz more, given your budget. And I also agree with Ufatz that you have to shoot, shoot shoot. Don't head into the woods opening day having only shot the rifle a couple times.

I'll put in a plug for my gun club, the Elk River Sportsman's Club. Every Saturday and Sunday in the month of October the public can shoot at 25, 50 or 100 yards. You bring your own ammo, pay $5 per gun (if it's the same as last year) and you can shoot as much as you want. I believe there are other clubs that do a similar thing.

Good luck this fall!

Ive shotover 100 rounds through my buddies gun. Hes got a Rem. 700. Thats why I was leaning towards that gun. I am an avid trapshooter, pheasant and occasional duck hunter. I have shot many guns. I was just seeing if there was another quality gun to look at. You guys are wealth of knowledge, I really do appreciate it

Under $400? This might fit the bill: http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2889579/Ruger_American_Rifle#Post2889579

As I posted in that thread, I picked up a .270 today. $340 before tax. Can't give you any personal reviews because I haven't fired it yet, but all the reviews I've seen online are positive. The only minor issue that one review mentioned was that the gun is a bit on the slippery side since it's synthetic and very light weight. It does have groves in the forearm and some texturing but it could be a little slippery with wet hands I suppose. I really don't think it'll be a big deal after handling mine when cleaning it up and mounting a scope on it. I usually shoot with gloves anyway, but even without it seems that I can get an adequate good grip on it.

It's only 6.5lbs so I'm anticipating that it might kick like a mule, but it appears to have a decent butt-pad so we'll see. smile

Hard to go wrong with a Rem 700, but it'll be a bit more than $400 new. Tried and true model.

I am also getting into it this year again after a long hiatus.

Can't go wrong with a 30-30

30-30's a fine gun and has killed countless deer, but there's sooo many other guns that are better for equal $. All I know is when i walk into a clear cut and that once in a lifetime buck is sitting 400 yds out, I wanna know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I can make a clean shot on him. Of course that 30-30 is gonna kill 99% of the deer I see but it's the one you couldn't get a shot at that will haunt your dreams

I haven't seen this question asked yet. What range are you looking at? If your in the thick stuff you may want to stick with a slug. Unless you plan to shot more open terrain. IMHO I would go to the 30-06 as the ammo is cheap and available just about everywhere. Remember to try several different brands and bullet weights. I spent a lot of time shooting the wrong ammo and wondering why I could never get really good groupings then on a trip to the range I talked to guy about it and he said to try a different bullet weight. I change from a 220 grain to a 180 grain and the groups were much tighter. (220 group @ 100yds about 9" to 180 group about 5")

Just some thoughts. Good luck. "Big bucks close to the road."

I hate that question. "what range do you shoot?" ask any hunter that has been using a 30-30 for years and ask him how many shots he's had to pass on because it was too far. Or how many times he set his stand in a clear cut within range of 1 good trail out of 4 entering it and mr buck decided to come in on the trail that was 300 yds out. Buy a gun/optics that can do it all. Spend a little extra $, you'll never regret it. If you want widely available ammo, a .270 sighted in at 150 will be dead on at point blank and will still be in the kill zone at 350, should that shot present itself one day.

Guess I would rather take a sure thing than risk wounding and loosing the animal. I try to teach conservation first along with a bit of safety, you need to do that when hunting state land. Now that said I have no problem with long shots. I do that all the time out west when hunting Elk and dogs but in Minnesota its best to now all of the options and chose the best gun for the job. I hear what your saying but do you get my meaning?

I sure do lundguy. I hear guys bragging all the time about shooting at deer 500+ yds away. I always have 3 questions. 1st is twofold: where is your gun zeroed and what kinda groups? The usual response is 100 yds and 2-4". My next ? Is what's the longest shot you've taken at paper? At most, I'll usually hear 300 yds. At that point I'll walk away for fear of loosing my cool. I'm comfortable shooting at those ranges, but only because I know EXACTLY where my bullets gonna hit. I know my dope and I know it's gonna be in the breadbasket. Some people call it bragging. It's not. It's experience. People tell me that they couldn't kill a prairie dog at 800 yds with a deer rifle or say I'm lying. I guarantee if those people spent more time behind their rifle instead of a tv or their computer most of them would be able to shoot better than me. And that not only applies to long shots. So many people buy the cheapest ammo on the shelf, take their rifles out 2 days before opener, throw 3 rounds down range that group 5" at 100 yds and call it good. Or don't check their rifle at all. We owe it to the animals to give them a quick, clean death every time, no exceptions regardless of how big he is. IMHO there should never be a deer lost. EVER.

Quote:
IMHO there should never be a deer lost. EVER.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, but the deer lost part happens. It is part of the sport. After you have hunted for awhile, you will lose a few. It isnt because you were a bad shot, or that you didnt take your gun out. It happens. I have hit deer and grazed their heart, and had to track them for a mile. I have lung shot deer, and never found them. I have hit a few branches that I didnt see when I was shooting. Sometimes the deer will run into an area that you just cant go into to recover. It happens. I make sure I do everything possible to make it a clean kill, and try my hardest to recover the deer, but you wont find them all.

I agree 100% Scott. I have hunted for close to 40 years for deer and have lost a couple. There are times when sh&t happens and a person will lose one.

I know all my guns and what they can do. I shoot alot and know when I can and cannot hit my target.

I will say you are doing what needs to be done Fishahalik but there are times when things happen beyond your control. I do not care how accurate one can shoot, if a deer is out there 175 yards standing and decides to hit the road and fast and that same second you fire, you may not get the greatest hit that you would if that deer stood there. many other examples of things that can go beyond ones control. It' called hunting and not killing.

I pride myself in my abillity to shoot guns and my bow but, mistaskes can happen.

Noone is perfect.

There are many wonderful options out there well within your budget. Optics are also important. You don't have to spend a mint, but you will drop down at least $150 in scope and mount (not counting labor) for a decent, reliable scope. There are some cheap ones that are good but it's a carpshoot.

Basic calibers: 270 win, 308 win, 30-06 will be the easiest to find inexpensive ammo for and all are more than adequet for whitetails to 300 yards. Other fine rounds are 260 rem, 6.5X55 swedish, 7mm mauser, 7mm 08, 280 rem, and 8mm mauser. All are fine deer rounds as capable as the first 3 but a little harder on the ammo budget. IMHO .25 and smaller rifles are best left to antelope shooters and the buyer of a first deer rifle should pass on them unless they are particularly recoil-shy.

That being said, any new bolt action in the above calibers will be a well made, accurate rifle suitable for your purpose. We live in a time there are really no bad guns out there. Pick the one that looks and feels the best to you. As far as used rifles goes, Rem models 721, 722, 788 and 700 are all fine rifles. Win model 70's are nice. Savage makes a fine deer rifle with no frills but a reputation for great accuracy. There are also numerous mauser sporters available in your price range but they are best left to an experienced rifleman as there can be function issues if you don't know exactly what you're looking for.

In a used rifle, the most important thing to inspect is the bore and crown. There should be no evidence of rust, pitting or dings and dents in the rifling. If there is, move on and look for another.