• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 Trail Cam Thread

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like looking at nice bucks with 3rd main beams grin

Ha...yeah they are neat to look at or actually have one wandering around the property. He's not big but it is a decent deer with some mass right at the base on his right and crab claws on the end on his left. Maybe I'll share a pic some time soon.

Abndoc...

I think the critter you were asking about on page 2 is a Pine Martin. Not absolutely sure, but that's what it looks like to me.

Are a Pine Martin and a Fisher the same thing? A Fisher is pretty small, isn't it? A Pine Martin can get as big as a medium sized dog. Meaner than a rattler on a hot summer day as well! eek

A male fisher is about the same size as a red fox...the female is like the size of a very large male mink...when we used to trap them and stretch the fur we'd use a fox board for males and large male mink board for the females...never caught any pine martin...but from the pics I've seen, I'd guess they are more on the size of a female fisher...Oh, and also after looking at the pic...I would say that is a male fisher...fisher are very dark colored compared to the lighter colored pine martin.

And after more reasearch...here is the discrpts from the DNR wdbsite!

The American (or pine) marten is a predator (meat eater) species that belongs to the weasel family. Before the late 1800s, the marten was common in northern Minnesota. Because of logging, most of its wooded habitat was lost. By 1920 pine martens had almost disappeared from Minnesota. The full recovery of the population by 1990 is a DNR management success story.

Identification

General description: A small predator with golden brown fur and a yellow chest. Its long body and small rounded ears make the marten one of the "cutest" predators in Minnesota.

Length: 30 to 24 inches, including the tail.

Weight: Adults are about 2 pounds. The males are slightly larger than the females.

Color: Brown, tinted with gold or yellow.

The fisher is a member of the weasel family, resembling a very large mink. It weighs as much as a red fox, but has much shorter legs. Fisher are extremely agile and active predators. Excellent tree climbers, they can outclimb marten and red squirrels. They prey upon snowshoe hare, mice, squirrels, and porcupine. Fisher will also eat insects and berries.

The fisher is a remarkable predator (meat eater). It is one of a very few animals that can kill a porcupine. Despite its name, the fisher does not catch or eat fish. Instead, it eats small animals, carrion (already dead animals), wild berries and nuts.

Identification

General description: The fisher is a medium-sized long-shaped predator that belongs to the weasel family.

Length: Adult fishers are 24 to 30 inches long, including their long, bushy tail.

Weight: Female adults weigh 6 to 8 pounds, and males weigh up to 18 pounds.

Color: The fur of a fisher is a grizzled dark brown, blackish on the rump and tail, with a white or cream-colored bib on their chest.

Ha...yeah they are neat to look at or actually have one wandering around the property. He's not big but it is a decent deer with some mass right at the base on his right and crab claws on the end on his left. Maybe I'll share a pic some time soon.

Show it. Without a picutre, it doesn't exist... whistle

That is a COOL deer QA9! That 3rd main beam "club" looks like some kind of weapon out of Braveheart!

And thanks for all the great info on Fisher, LF. Guess an old guy can still learn something new everyday!

I've always thought it was Fisher that were smaller, and Pine Martin that were larger! We've had some BIG long black critters run thru our yard along the river. Pretty sure they were mink. Saw one in particular that had to be at least 3 feet long!

I don't know much about this kind of critter. To me Fisher, Mink, and Pine Martin all look very much alike. Suppose it would be kinda tough to get em' all smiling in the same picture! smile

I'm not sure it's the same buck. I have blown it up and anylized the few pics I have of this/these two deer and the two racks just don't look the same to me. The cool thing was if it is two different deer, they were within minutes of each other on the same night. The camera is on a tree about 4 yards from my stand.

Hes got a point off the inside of the left G4 on both pics, not likely to be 2 that way, along with many other similarities... I vote same buck for sure. Ive been wrong before though wink

Hope you kill him/them, theres no arguing it'll be a HAWG!

I can't disagree or argue with either of you I just wish I had a pic of him coming toward the camera. One of the reasons that I thought it may be two different bucks is on his left side there seamed to be a tine on the far away pic that is not visible in the close up quartering away shot.

I have two cams out right now and will be switching out the cards for the first time tomorrow morning.They have been out for 2 weeks.Once I check them tomorrow, I will leave them alone until opening weekend. I am squirming to see if he is still in my area and if he came for a visit. One of my cameras is in the same tree as it has been last year and before. I think however that I had that camera set to record video and I am wishing that it was set to take pics. Hopefully if he came by and he got on video, that I will be able to upload to this site.