• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite topwater walking and pop-r baits

bassfshin24

I really like LC sammy's for walkers. For poppers, I really don't have a favorite, although i do tend to either throw chug bugs or LC G-splash. If you don't already have some I would definitely add some prop baits. I usually find myself throwing a prop more than the other two.

Skitter props have been my favorite for years....Both smallmouth and largemouth hit them aggressively...blue back/silver sides work best for me....I just got some Hubs Chubs, a hybrid rear blade bait ,can't wait to try them.

Spooks, Pop-R's, BP knockoffs of Sammy's are all good. I have found the Skitter Props just a tad too light for my BC gear to make it worth throwing. When I was using Spinning tackle almost exclusively 8-9 years ago, the Skitter Props would just kill 'em. Now that I throw BC gear almost exclusively, my fave is the regular Spook and the Spook Jr.

Hiya -

I like Skitter Walks, Spooks, Strike King poppers (heavier, so easy to cast on heavy line around cover), Skitter Pops, and really like the Yozuri 3D poppers. Also really, really like Boy Howdys and the old Devil's Horse.

If I'm fishing smallies away from cover I usually throw poppers and lighter topwaters on spinning gear with braid. For largemouths around cover, casting gear and 17# mono.

RK

Sammys worked quickly. Had great success for years now mid summer targeting open water schools of smallies up north. Look for birds and surface activity.

Cripple Killers-prop

If you are truly serious about topwater bass (or any topwater action) you need to get a Tornado spinner bait for BPS. (I put a trailer hook on it for a tail worm or short strikes) You need a fast reel to keep it on top but "MAN" the action is unmatched. Plus you can cover lots of water!!! my2cents

Nobody has mentioned Salmo's poppers yet. Is this just because they're hard to find? I ordered a few of these after seeing them in their display at the NW Sports Show because I've good luck with some of their other models. I'll try to write back in a few weeks when I've finally had a chance to start throwing them.

Always had seen the Smitchwick Devil horse - but they looked so goofy I always passed them by. They basically look like a shorter pencil with a prop on each end. The guide in Canada where we go mentioned how good they were for smallies so the next year I bought a few. Yup! Awesome! I now have a good dozen of them in my tackle trays - in every color.

Years ago there was an article in Bassmaster about a guy who only used Devils Horse props for tournaments, and he won like Over $100k with them throughout the years. I have always liked them, but you gotta add split rings, change hooks, and mess with the blades throughout the day.