• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lindy Rigging rig.

paceman

ya me to

and i use a 6.5 at leat in lenght med heavy for good setting power

and control 8ib xtgreen triline on the reel 6lb xtgreen for snells

sometime clear 6 xl

but i wouldt be opposed to bait caster its alittle more uncomfortable to hold your finger on the line but if you have good sensitive rod you should be able to feel the bite and just hold yor thumb on the reel

and release the line

it seems baits casters the line actually will peel of easier and less memory sometimes spining reels you actually have to feed the line to the fish...either way is good i think just what ever you get use to or prefer

I'v used both for rigging, and I almost like the bait caster better, if you palm the reel as your holding the rod as I always do when using a bait caster you can put your pointer finger on the line and your thumb can be ready to click the freespool, when you feel the tap click the freespool and the line just starts running off without all the hang ups like a spinning reel, but I, as many, learned to rig with spinning equipment so it's still my go to rigging set up.

I like a seven or seven and a half foot rod for rigging, sensitivity is key, if you dont feel the tap you cant catch the fish.

If you're looking for a new combo for rigging, you'll want a high quality 7ft medium light spinning rod. Use 6 pound clear mono. Keep your bail open and your finger on the line. When you feel a bite, you simply drop the line.

If you're looking for a new combo for rigging, you'll want a high quality 7ft medium light spinning rod. Use 6 pound clear mono. Keep your bail open and your finger on the line. When you feel a bite, you simply drop the line.

medium light is to bugy whippie for me...i prefer a stiffer tip

better settin per centage's

and just droping the line is what he talking about in the above post spinnin reels have a tendencie to hang up or need to feed the line

I prefer a baitcaster. I just keep the freespool on and hold my thumb on the spool. When I get a bite I ease up the pressure on my thumb and feed the fish line. They are also easier to clamp down on when you get hung-up and it is time to either free it or break you line.

Maybe it is in my head, but I do no like to suddenly drop pressure on my line by having the bail open and releasing line with my finger. I believe that sudden change is something the fish may feel.

I like a light rod so the center of gravity is as close to the reel as I can get it. So most of the time it is a short rod. Thus the main line is no stretch (for the short rod). I also use a line that floats so all the slack in the line is on the surface of the water where I can see it (it come in handy when fishing light sinkers in deeper water).

+1 on this setup, only I use fireline mainline for added sensitivity.

I did mention that it should be a high quality rod, but I should have also mentioned that it must have a fast tip. If you have a high quality rod (at least St Croix Avid/Shimano Crucial or better) a medium light with fast tip will be great. This is one of the application where a high quality rod makes a big difference. Trust me on this... this is the perfect set up.

I have one of my rigging rods set up with power pro and a couple set up with mono. I think I still prefer mono, but I'll use both. I can feel the fish better with a superline, but I also think they can feel me better. Sometimes with a light bite, I think they'll drop it if they feel your resistance. That's just my personal preference.

I use a 7' baitcasting rod equipped with flipping reel so I can lower the weight as it gets deeper without having to re-engage the reel handle. And when you want to feed the walleye line after it takes your bait, just press the release button and feed all the line you want. I also use 6lb. Fireline with 2lb. diameter attached to 8lb. Vanish leader. You can feel the fish so well with this setup it's scarey! This setup lets you fish more vertical too! 2c

Last spring I bought a St. Croix Eyecon 7' Jiggin/Rigging rod and paired it with a Plueger Supreme XT reel. I run 8lb Berkley 100% Flourocarbon line on it and really like the setup. Now if I could just get out more to use it life would be perfect!

medium light is to bugy whippie for me...i prefer a stiffer tip

better settin per centage's

and just droping the line is what he talking about in the above post spinnin reels have a tendencie to hang up or need to feed the line

Lindy rigging is an all feel presentation. Depending on if you are using leeches, crawlers or chubs reflects on how much line you feed. Being that you feed line the hook is in the fishes mouth, you dont need to set the hook like you are jig fishing. Using a ML(I like 7'or7'6")rod allows you to reel up the line slack and watch the rod load up without the fish feeling you. The hook set is more of a swoop or lift. Also recommend using braid while rigging for extra sensitivity. Keep the bail open and finger on the line, when you get a bite drop the line and point the rod towards the fish and let it peel the line . Just my $.02

I use a 7' baitcasting rod equipped with flipping reel so I can lower the weight as it gets deeper without having to re-engage the reel handle. And when you want to feed the walleye line after it takes your bait, just press the release button and feed all the line you want. I also use 6lb. Fireline with 2lb. diameter attached to 8lb. Vanish leader. You can feel the fish so well with this setup it's scarey! This setup lets you fish more vertical too! 2c

That is what I do, except that I use 10/4 Power Pro braided line.

I've only live bait rigged with spinning rods 6'6" Medium Shimano Clarus and 7' Med-Light Shimano Compre and both rods have plusses and minuses. The Medium has a better tip for trolling heavier weights like 1/2 or 3/4 in the river current. Also better for trolling crankbaits. The 7' is a little more sensitive, but it definitely bends more with the heavier weight and I worry about getting snagged on a log or something and busting the tip off. I like the Compre better for an overall rod that can jig and run rigs/spinners, but depending on the weight you are using, the medium action may be more suited.

I wouldn't shy away from looking at a baitcaster though, I use them for trolling crankbaits and it works well, I'm guessing as long as it was medium action or lighter it would work for rigging.