• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camping/Fishing in MSP area

The_Diesel

I moved to the metro area about a year and a half ago. When I got here I thought I'd do a lot of fishing and camping in the area and use my new River Ridge canoe to do some river camping/fishing trips. Well, it turns out my folks got a cabin around the same time I moved here and I ended up going there nearly every weekend anyway. This summer I'm determined to make at least one trip out and feel like buying the canoe wasn't a complete waste.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice on where to head for my excursion. I'd prefer to stay within the metro area for convenience reasons, but if that doesn't exist I guess my limit would be like a 1.5 hr radius. Got a lot of friends and family in Rochester, so I'd prefer to head that way as well.

It would probably be me and my girlfriend or maybe a buddy in her place, sleeping in a tent and will have a trolling motor on the canoe. Thanks for the advice.

there is a nice camp ground in shakopee right on the minnesota river. they have tent sites right on the river bank. another option if you want to be in a area by your self there is always sand bars along the minnesota river where a person could camp for the night or a weekend.

Washington county has a great park on Lake Elmo and on the st croix. Love camping there, but they don't allow dogs which is limiting for us.

Neither have sites right on the water, but they are nice getaways close to the metro.

Willow river over in WI is a nice state park with small electric only shallow lake.

Good luck!

The cannon is good for a half day or day trip depending on where you put in and take out, decent fishing for plenty of species, watch out for the tubing crowd when it warms up a bit though. I think this summer I'm going to try the Mississippi in the lower pools, it appears that there are quite a few islands to camp out on and I would imagine a fish or two to be caught in the area (hopefully find a spot to chase some ducks this fall as well).

If you are in need of a "scouting" partner to do a bit of paddling and see what's around, let me know, I am also in search of a few of those close to home gems.

I can't say that I've tried the upper St. Croix too many times, the Namekagon in northern WI is nice, but it is a bit more than an hour and a half from the cities.

Osceola is less than 45 minutes, and St. Croix Falls is just under an hour, Grantsburg is about an hour and a half, all are great canoeing areas. Lots of options on the St. Croix.

I rafted the Kettle River last year from east of Hinckley, into the St. Croix and pulled out on the wisconsin side somewhere.. It was canoe-able with a few minor rapids to be careful in. There were a few campgrounds I think. It'd be a great overnight trip!

Lacking that, feel free to take the canoe on any of the metro lakes. Heck, there are a few that are better suited to canoes than other boats. I like to get out on lakes that only have canoe accesses or have speed limits laugh Keeps the crowds down, and often makes for fairly productive (but most of all relaxing!) fishing.

I'm taking my canoe out on a lake tomorrow. Haven't decided where yet!

Osceola is less than 45 minutes, and St. Croix Falls is just under an hour, Grantsburg is about an hour and a half, all are great canoeing areas. Lots of options on the St. Croix.

Apparently I have been missed out on the closer opportunities, I have quite a few friends from the Hayward area, and usually end up bringing the canoe with me on most visits. Thanks for the info DonBo, I'll have to do some research and try out the parts that are closer to home.

Thanks for all the replies!

Did a little searching today on a map along the St. Croix and came across this little area. Any of you been here before? I think it sounds pretty darn neat. May have to try it out for a weekend this summer.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/william_obrien/index.html

Check out Wild River State Park. There are some remote campsites on the river you can paddle to. Paddling upstream is NOT difficult after the snowmelt is done. I've been blown upriver with a south wind. Plenty of diffferent species to catch in the river.

Just because it is a canoe does not mean only camps sites on the river.

There are a lot of campgrounds within 1-1/2 hours on lakes, don't know where to start.

Keep in mind when fishing rivers you need an additional means of transportation to get your canoe back to your camp site.

Bluff Valley campground on the Zumbro River is a good choice. Bill from River Ridge fishes it on a regular basis.

If you stay at Wm O'Brien, I am pretty sure you could give the canoe rental bus driver a couple bucks to have him haul you and your canoe up to the taylors falls start point and canoe back down to your camp site.

I would at least look into it.