• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New or Used?

NTW

I would appreciate some expert opinions & advice...

Haven't been in the market for a bow since late 90's (man things have changed!)

I started by shooting some friend's bows and visiting local shops. Feel like a beer drinker trying to sample wine...

So far I've shot

Mission Craze, Bear Strike, Bowtech Assassin, Hoyt Maxxis 31

I liked the Maxxis the most (bowtech a close second), but it is a used bow and has 60# limbs. The new Assassin RAK is at the high end of what I'd like to spend, I think $700 after tax, plus I think I'd want to upgrade the arrow rest. The Maxxis is $500 but I'll need to get my own sights and rest. I know the Maxxis was a higher end bow and the only way I could afford it is used.

I wonder about a couple things that I hope to get some steering on...

- Is it a bad idea to buy a used bow? (not knowing its usage, maintenance, no warranty, etc.)

- I am comfortable with a 70# draw and like the idea of added speed. Is it important?

- The Bowtech Assassin is at a pro shop and I think the service would be nice but not sure how much value that has?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I always prefer new so I can set it up the way I want. I think you will come out money ahead buying what you want rather than replacing parts you don't like. Also you can choose the bow you want not just the best available used bow at the time.

i have bought a couple used bows, one was mint and i love it the other i had some problems with had to put $75 into it to fix it but good since then. Speed is nothing, as long as you have the KE and are accurate, and the bow is setup right your fine, i know a woman who shot a 190" last year shooting 47 pounds. Go with what feels right and if you could bring the used bow to a pro shop and have them look at it

The maxxis is a very nice bow what year is it?is it the 31 or 35?you really don't need to shoot 70lbs today's bows are still fast at 60lbs and have plenty KE for every big game animal in the states except for maybe the big bears but then it's all about shot placement.It not bad shooting a 70 lber at targets in the summer but try it sitting in a tree when it's cold and your all bundled up and you have that big buck 20 yds from you that you are trying not to spook.bowtech is a good bow but I have heard the customer service is not very good but I have never owned one so can't say for sure.I have been shooting hoyts for a while now and really like them.currently shooting an alphaburner with 70lb limbs and that is only because it was a blacked out bow and didn't want to wait for a 60lber to come in.I have it set a 65lbs and it shoots a 395 grain arrow at 311 fps.If you look around online there are some really good deals out there.good luck and welcome to the addiction!!!

The Maxxis is a 2010 and the 31" ATA.

I appreciate all of your advice!

The thing about buying new is that I can't really afford something more than entry level @ $700 setup. I feel like the Maxxis is a better bow even if used but am not knowledgeable about used bows. I've found out today through co-workers that the limbs don't wear over time and that the string is really the only thing that does. So if the bow is not broken or shooting strange now there is no damage. It will last just like a new one unless I do something to break it. Obviously, I am leaning towards the used one now.

I have heard of the bowtechs having limb problems but never getting weak.take some cotton balls with you and run one down the side of the limbs,if it snags anything I would shy away from that bow.a string is just normal wear and tear,I will change it and cables once a year but I shoot almost everyday.The maxxis is an awesome bow when I bought my 2011 crx 32 it was a toss up between the 2.if the bow is in nice shape that's a fair price for a great bow.you can still get a good used rest and sight.I would recommend the QAD ultra rest and a black gold redzone hd sight for hunting.that sight has the brightest pins I have used yet.do a search online and I am sure you can find some deals.if you need help send me a pm and I can point you in the right direction to a great place to search.

you can get a heck of a deal on a bow 2-3 years old if you check a few online classifieds.

The MN DNR says you can legally hunt deer with a 30 pound modern compound... I prefer a 60 pound bow. You can develop shoulder injuries from heavier bows and consider what pulling it back is like during a cold day on the stand.

Limbs do not wear out, at least not to the point of replacement anywhere within 10yrs. Any bow that had cracked limbs after 4 years is a poor quality bow with a warranty issue (IE the first few years of bowtechs)or was abused by its owner (dry fired or low arrow weight). Their customer service is actually very good since they have been dealing with the cracked limb issue almost since day one. They have gotten lots better in the last two years and do make a great bow.

Of the 4 you listed, Mission and Bear are on a different level than the bowtech or Hoyt. That being said, they are still great bows for the price. I have a Mission Craze for my daughter and I shoot it too.

As far as buying used, any bow you might get, I would have a pro shop evaluate it. They will let you know how things like limbs, cams, axles, strings etc are looking and what may need repair or refurbing. I bought two used bow before I bought my first new bow. Both were great bows and I sold both to friends that I actually like. The most recent one still hunts with it.

I would choose the bow that you like the best. And don't be afraid of 60lbs. That bow will get it done for sure. If you think you want 70lbs you can upgrade just the limbs in the future.

Ntw,what is your DL I know where you can get a brand new RH 2010 Hoyt maxxis 31 60-70 lb camo finish #3 cams that he will set up to your draw length as long as it is between 28"-30" comes in the box with the hat and manual.all for pretty much the same price as the used one your looking at.you can email me at [email protected] and I can give you his contact info.if you are interested.

I prefer to buy new but I'm a bit of a fanatic about my archery equipment.

I think you can get some great deals on used bows but you do need to make sure that the bow fits you!!

As for limbs wearing out, they can eventually break. I've seen bows that were accidentally dry fired because of a cracked knock. Obviously, the person wasn't trying to do it but it doesn't help the limbs at all.

I had to have my limbs on my Mathews replaced when one cracked on me. Probably some defect in the limb and it just wore out after 3 years. I can't imagine that it would be too much to replace limbs if the warranty was voided because you purchased a used bow. I would guess around $100 but some others could give you a specific amount.

So if you could save $500 over a new bow it might be worth it.

I know I have sold some bows in the past for a fraction of what I paid for them and they were probably only 3 or 4 years old.

Good Luck!

Wow - thanks for the advice!

I feel better about the 60# draw after your comments but I have gotten used to my old bow at a harsh drawing 70# so I figure a smooth 70# will be sweet.

I brought the used bow to a pro shop. He looked it over and then began to tell me how great his line of bows was...made me think he didn't see anything wrong. I respected him trying to sell his line and didn't push further for a free evaluation. I've shot the used bow a number of times and things seem "right"...hadn't done the cotton ball thing but I will.

Mudslinger64 - I sent you an email.

Scoot - I think I can get more PM's now (deleted a few)

THANKS!!

One other thing on speed.

I think it is a bit overrated if you are only hunting whitetails. A bigger animal may be a different story.

My bow is around 265 fps and I've passed through every deer I made a good shot on. The one that I didn't it was a bad shot and more KE behind my arrow would not have helped me (i.e. operator error). Speed is nice for a flatter shooting arrow but not necessary for a kill shot IMO.

For me personally I would take a quiet shooting 265 fps over a noisy 320 fps EVERY DAY. The speed of sound is 1126 fps and deer have VERY good reaction times.

I wouldn't hesitate buying a used bow as long as you have it checked by a local pro shop to make sure it fits you, and is in proper working condition. The "fits you" portion of this is THE most important thing. Doesn't matter how good a deal you got on how a great a bow. If it doesn't fit you, it's worthless. You'll never be happy with how it feels and you'll never reach the full potential of accuracy the bow (or you) is capable of.

Good luck whichever way you go, and welcome to the addiction!

I would have zero concerns buying a used Hoyt Maxxis (2010) model as long as you can look at it and make sure there is no splintering of the limbs. You may need a new string, but you'll buy those every couple years (ideally) anyways. If you ever have problems with the limbs or the riser, Hoyt is very good about standing behidn their bows.

I will recommend that an individual on a budget buy a used bow over a lesser quality new bow 99% of the time. Bows are totally unlike guns in the fact that their resale value deteriorates so much more quickly. It used to be that you'd be paying for the "new" technology when you bought a new bow - but bows rapidly developed in the 2000's - now days, a used bow is going to be very similar in technologically to the brand new bows and will be a viable hunting bow for a long time. All while paying the same cost (or less) for a fully set up year old bow (w/ $400 in retail accessories) as you would have paid for the price of the bare bow when it was new.

So unless you are fully committed to archery, I'd spend the money to get a fully set up used bow that you can still sell in a few years for about the same as you paid for it now rather than spend the same amount on a new bare bow that you still have to buy all the accessories.

I wouldn't hesitate buying a used bow as long as you have it checked by a local pro shop to make sure it fits you, and is in proper working condition. The "fits you" portion of this is THE most important thing. Doesn't matter how good a deal you got on how a great a bow. If it doesn't fit you, it's worthless. You'll never be happy with how it feels and you'll never reach the full potential of accuracy the bow (or you) is capable of.

Good luck whichever way you go, and welcome to the addiction!

Good point. This should go without saying, but it happens far too often because someone "can get a great deal on XXXX bow". Don't buy any bow that doesn't fit you perfectly. If you don't know how to be "fit" for a bow, spend the time to talk with a archery pro shop before buying.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Maxxis. I bought a used Hoyt Vectrix XL that I've been shooting the last 4 years. It is a 60 pounder also w/ 29" dl. I've shot through all 7 deer with it including some bigger bucks. Hoyts are notoriously tough and durable bows. I'm sure you'll get many years of great service from it.

Jumping in late here...

I wouldn't hesitate buying a used high-end bow. I think you'll get more bang for your buck with a top tier bow that's 1 or 2 years old vs a new middle-of-the road bow. I wouldn't hesitate to go with 60 lb limbs either. The advantages outweight the negatives imo. "Steals" can be had at bowhunting classified sites if your patient. The technology has radically improved in the past decade, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you purchase. Good luck!

Bows are like cars they are crappy for resale, if you plan on buying a bow and using that one for awhile spend the money, if you are one that likes to always have a new bow every year buy used. Like stick said check out archery classifieds online there are some awesome deals out there for bows that are 1 year old