• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Camp Ripley thread

DHost21

It was my first time up at ripley. I saw two spikes and some does. I was a little disappointed the first morning when I got set up in a nice little funnel before sun up and right at first light a guy walks in and sets up 40 yards directly in front of me(put the range finder on him). I made sure he saw me, but I guess he just didn't give a rip...like my buddy said...thats ripley. I thought people would atleast set up out of bow range. Oh well, karmas a *****. Overall it was fun hanging with my buddies and seeing a few deer, but I don't think its all its hyped up to be. I see more deer and bigger bucks on public land. I think if you dumped 2000 guys on any big piece of public land of similar size, you would have similar results. I will probably do it again, just with lower expectations.

This is kind of how I feel too, Ripley is cool and it holds many mature deer but it is kind of like a lotto ticket. If I get lucky and setup in the right place or have something pushed to me cool but my odds might be better somewhere else if I have done my homework.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To each his own. Personally, and it's only my opinion but I think you're selfish. Just sayin'

It is far less selfish than the person that takes that 2nd buck when the state only allows you to kill one buck in my opinion. And on top of that, to presume that someone else will give up their one and only buck tag to accomodate your inability to stop at one buck? To me, that is far more selfish. Just sayin'...

I've never asked anyone to tag a deer for me and would never expect anyone to give up their buck tag, in our party if you don't have a buck tagged we do what we can to get the guy his buck, deer drive, give up a hot stand ect. But I believe the only way to tag 2 bucks in a season is when you have to apply for a special hunt like ripley or a state park for instance, those should be considered a bonus buck IMO.

Well for your information I was up there with a buddy that had his buck tag filled I told him that the only way he was going to fill it if he was willing to put it on the wall and atleast a pope and young buck. Well he didn't fill it but he did draw back on one and went down becuase it wasn't a good shot. But he knew the rules and we know what the area does produce so with that thought I would not have care if he did but we had agreement and I let him fill my tag once before his was used but for granted that was a meat hunt and I was leaving early too.

I still don't understand how anyone would shoot more deer than they personally have tags for on the basis that they are assuming they can use their buddy's tag. What would have happened if you shot a buck, tagged it, then shot another buck and found out your buddy had shot one of his own in the meantime?

Whoopsie-daisy!

I can't believe there are even two sides to this argument. I've always thought party hunting was a crock... then again, that's only my opinion.

I guess I'm selfish... crazy

Guys, it's a 150 in MN. if you don't offer your tag to a buddy then you're too selfish IMO. Plain & simple.

This just makes me steam. mad

Its not a 150 in Mn... IT WOULD BE THE 2ND 150 IN MN! A 150 is an incredible deer and if you weren't happy with the first one, you shouldn't have shot it! I may be hunting down the fence and I would love just one of them!

Kill the 2nd one, its "A 150 in MN"!, Its that mentality that separates us from other areas with more mature deer in the first place! The 1ST step to being a respectable game manager and steward of the land is SELF DISCIPLINE!!! If you justify shooting more than everyone else because "its legal" then your just part of the problem.

I still don't understand how anyone would shoot more deer than they personally have tags for on the basis that they are assuming they can use their buddy's tag. What would have happened if you shot a buck, tagged it, then shot another buck and found out your buddy had shot one of his own in the meantime?...

Solution: Don't let their be any 'meantime.' As soon as one of the hunters shoots a buck they let the other hunter know. At least that's how we do it. Chances are pretty slim that they both get one at the same time. During gun hunting we assume that if we hear the other hunter shoot that they got a buck until we know otherwise.

Works for us so far, though in recent years we generally don't share buck tags until late in the season. We are a selfish bunch early in the season. frown

I'm still bamboozled by this mentality. You're shooting a deer that you DO NOT have a tag for?! Read: you've tagged out, but continue to hunt on the basis that you can shoot a deer and use your friend's tag.

Even if you're extra careful, even if there is virtually no "meantime" (which, by the way, is impossible unless you're within shouting distance or are using cell phones or radios) between the shot, even THEN, there STILL IS A CHANCE that someone else could shoot a deer and you're up S**T creek.

If someone in my party came up to me asking for a tag, I'd laugh in his face and call TIP for poaching. As far as I know, if you've tagged out in Nodak and are caught still hunting, you're getting ticketed.

The ONLY way I'd ever party hunt, was if I was in the same dang tree as someone else and, out of the goodness of my heart, decided to let said person shoot both his and my deer. Then we'd know, without a doubt, that there were tags available.

I really am struggling with this party hunting mentality. There are way, way too many "what ifs" to even make it a remotely acceptable hunting practice.

in our group we had a problem with someone that thought it was ok to party hunt and use other peoples tags without asking he shot deer and just assumed someone would put a tag on it for him. The tough part is telling someone like that since they are close to stop, after 3 years i think he finally figured out we dont like him using other peoples tags. My gf was the one who always got her tag taken right away since the rest of us bow hunt and go out after gun season, her brother who works with the one who uses everyone's tag kept saying its not a big deal and were blowing it out of per portion for no reason. So its tough at times tell these people, my buddy in Kansas no way did i want him to use my tag even though we had to and time to hunt but hes my best friend and didnt want to be the jerk.

...The ONLY way I'd ever party hunt, was if I was in the same dang tree as someone else and, out of the goodness of my heart, decided to let said person shoot both his and my deer. Then we'd know, without a doubt, that there were tags available.

I really am struggling with this party hunting mentality. There are way, way too many "what ifs" to even make it a remotely acceptable hunting practice.

Many parent/child combo's due just that. Other folks do sit within sight of each other.

When I started hunting it was with a group of like 12 in a lotto area and each year we never got more than a couple of bucks so not enough tags wasn't a concern, and when the doe tags were few we did not allow party hunting on them either, just to be on the safe side not to harvest too many does. Party hunting can be done responsibly as to not harvest more deer than you have tags for. Or people can be irresponsible about it and than have an 'accident' that was preventable with just being more cautious.

This was my first year hunting Ripley and I new it was going to be a learning expierience.It is a big area and roads going all over the place.I can see where people that have hunted there many times have a better chance at deer and know where they are going and thats why they show up early to get in line to get to their spot.I talked to people that have hunted there 10+ times or new someone in the Guard that new where to go.As far as useing someones tag if its legal and people agree to do it it is fine with me.I hunt with my grandson and would be happy to see him get 2 big bucks.With cell phones and text messageing there isnt much chance of over harvesting if you use common sense.

With cell phones and text messageing there isnt much chance of over harvesting if you use common sense.

Fair enough, but is that even legal? I was under the assumption (at least from growing up and hunting Minnesota in my younger years) that using any type of mobile device during a hunt was against regulations? Isn't that how Babe Winkelman got pinched all those years ago? I thought the CO tuned into a radio band and caught him talking to his wife during a deer hunt over a walkie-talkie?

TylerS, only assisting in the taking of game with radios/cell is illegal. Using it for safety and communication purposes other than hunting an animal are fine.

Example: You are walking through the woods pushing deer to your friend and you jump one, so you get on the radio to say ONE IS COMING!. That is illegal because you are assisting your friend by giving him a heads up via radio to watch for a deer.

Here it is from the Ripley Hunt Info doc they sent everyone.

Quote:
Per state law (M.S. 97B.085, Subd. 1) radio devices MAY NOT be used to assist in taking game. However, use of 2-way radios and cell phones for safety is allowed & encouraged.

As for how some over-zealous CO might interpret that with regards to party hunting is anyone's guess... I think they would have to come up with a pretty good argument for how telling your hunting partner you just shot a deer via cell/radio/text is somehow assisting them with the taking of game.

I think a lot of guys call/text their buddies to say they saw x number of deer headed their way. Technically I believe that would be considered illegal.

Man, that's a goofy law!

"No officer. It was utter coincidence that my buddy shot that deer after I texted him. I just told him I was going in for lunch, honest!"

"Woops, all my texts just got erased. Guess you're gonna have to trust me." crazy

Tyler, It's pretty standard knowledge that you can't use technology to help harvest a deer. i.e. "Hey Bill, deer coming to you!" How do you find it goofy that we can use a cell phone to tell a buddy that we just shot a buck?? sheesh.

Slim, So you're saying the law is incorrect in allowing guys to legally party hunt and use each other's tags? Maybe write your local DNR agent a email before bashing other's hunter's choice to legally follow the law.

Northwoods, This hunter and his buddy agreed beforehand that if it was a wall mount deer, he could shoot it an use his tag. Nobody ever said he pulled the trigger and then asked for the tag. If that were the case I woudl agree with you that it's [PoorWordUsage] to do that. I wouldnt just hand over my tag either in that case.

Im saying that I personally dont agree with it. You called ITNW "selfish" for not giving his tag when (in a hypothetical situation) someone in the hunting party had the opportunity and shot a 2nd 150. Then you said "Guys, its a 150 in MN" as if its justified by the fact that (2) 150's is such a rarity. And IM saying that 150's or "bigger" bucks wouldn't be such a rarity IF PEOPLE DIDNT HAVE TO SHOOT ALL OF THEM. Whether its 2 150 inch deer, or 2 80 inch deer, the impact is the same. the more you kill, the less that will live, simple. Pass on the 2nd 150 and you just killed ONE AND earned yourself a chance at 170 next year!

Wright or wrong, legal or not legal, correct or incorrect?, Party hunting is hard on bucks, and negatively impacts the age strucure. And although it may provide the "opportunity" for Joe Blo to shoot 2 bucks legally, dont be fooled, it took THAT opportunity from another hunter to get ONE buck AND it took the opportunity for that buck to grow for another year!

In my opinion, its bad. Thats it.

grin Classic.. We're out outdoorsman and chose to do things differently. As long as it's legal and ethical I don't care what others do, but I will have an opinion. Good luck to you guys this year and remember congratulate guys on the deer they take, no matter what the size.