• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowmobile outerwear

PiedmontAngler

I've worn all sorts of clothing on sleds and after all said and done, you can't beat the gear designed for the purpose. Both jacket and pants need to be windproof and have closures that you can adjust for warm/cold weather. It is definitely not the same gear you would wear to plow the driveway or go ice fishing. Check out the OEM clothing or visit Shade Tree or Dennis Kirk to see what they have to offer.

I just wear my Arctic Amour. It works for me, but I am not a hard core sledder in the mountains, or go-fast type. But I am on them every weekend there is snow, both using sleds for ice fishing and just trail rides. I gotta say, it works great.

I think the suits designed for it might be a bit more comfy, as they are made for the riding position, but I can't complain, and have ridden in warm and extreme cold.

I actually lik ethe hood behind the helmet as it sort of acts like a little support back there for the helmet on the bumps smile

You need to get the zipper zipped up a bit (i.e. from bottom to give room to sit) but that is easy when you start out. I wear Ice Armour gloves and the AA sleeves fit right over it and velcro down tight, so noto bulky and they stay put perfectly!

good luck!

edit - oh yeah, and I see you ice fish, so it would double duty for fishing, and I jumped into the lake this summer with it on... after doing that and seeing how it works, I am glad I didn't jump in with non-floating and glad I do have floating suit, just in case... I don't think I will ever need it, but know now that I will always get a floating suit for this purpose, if on water on the ice. Same basic price, same basic performance, why not float? wink

Clothing has really evolved over the past few years and I would encourage anyone looking to go and try it first before you buy, especially if you have a good dealer / outdoors store near by. For me I got tired of the ' bulky ' feel and moved to a different line of clothing last year that was thinner / warmer / more flexible and more comfortable.

When you go shopping, keep in mind what cloths you'll have on when you will have you're new suit on. I bought a Cat jacket last year in the summer time, come winter when I had all my gear on, my forearms were tight and uncomfortable in the jacket, that jacket get's used for other things other than riding now.

Mike

I've worn all sorts of clothing on sleds and after all said and done, you can't beat the gear designed for the purpose. Both jacket and pants need to be windproof and have closures that you can adjust for warm/cold weather. It is definitely not the same gear you would wear to plow the driveway or go ice fishing. Check out the OEM clothing or visit Shade Tree or Dennis Kirk to see what they have to offer.

I agree. Sport specific gear is the way to go. I got back into sledding a few years back and figured I would just wear my ski gear. Nope. Nowhere as durable or warm. There are a number of good brands out there, and it really seems the more you spend the more you really get. I bought Castle brand and have been really happy with it. I know Klim is top notch and there are a few others that are very nice as well. Also, they make layers to go underneath that are designed to keep you both warm and dry, which is money well spent. Good luck.

I have to chime in on this more or less a gripe and lesson to learn. I have AA for both ice fishing and used for sledding, AA doesn't surve the best purpose for sledding like a true sledding jacket. Real sled jackets by far are better for warmth and wind proof compared to any ice fishing suit. I just wish that the ice fishing market could take some notes from the sledding clothing manufactures on thickness (bulkeness)because ice suits are just to thick.

My sledding jacket surves me better for ice fishing for warmth but I use the AA pants for the run and gunning when ice fishing....just my .02.

mr

I'm not a snowmobile guy, but I've always wondered why those snowmobile suits are such garish ugly things that look like they came out of the 80s, with the neon colors and the lightning bolts and such. it's just strange looking to me. i dunno. carry on.

I wear two different suits while sledding to fish and for recreation. I have my Arctic Armor and also have a Frabill Snosuit. I only wear the Snosuit when it's windy and really cold out, it is so warm it's unbelievable. Great suit, sometimes too great, meaning too warm.

If you only want ot have to buy stuff once, KLIM gear. I learned my lesson.

This is what my dad wears. Then again, he only rides in the mountains. When I used to ride I wore Arctic Cat stuff. I never had any complaints about it. My dad swears by Klim now though. It's not bulky, it's warm, and it breathes well. But, you darn near have to take out a second mortgage to buy it. That stuff is expensive.

I'll give a big thumbs up to KLIM gear, I bought the Keweenaw Jacket and Klimate Bibs last year and yes, it doesn't seem right you have to spend that much for a suit but I'll be the first to say it's worth the money, I love that jacket.

Like I said above if you're looking it's best to find a store or stores that handle these lines of clothing, whether it's KLIM, FXR, Coldwave, Motorfist or any of the sled manufactures, some of these jackets and bibs can be very expensive and STILL not be insulated, then you have to layer which will cost a lot of money too.

Mike

This is really the worst time of the year to by snowmobile wear, unless you can find some carry-over deals. When you really want to buy it is in the springtime or heydays/powersports shows when you have multiple vendors giving out good discounts. You can usually find it for less than half the price in the off season. Really take your time when buying bibs. You want something that is waterproof because nothing will ruin a ride faster than a cold wet rear-end. If you trailer your sled before you ride, you want to consider bibs that have zippers that go all the way up the sides. It makes it really easy to put them on with boots on after you get out of the truck. I also like bibs that have extra material that allows you to bend your knees easily without binding. I like the style that are like pants (adjustable waistband) with a high back and lightweight shoulder straps. I'm not as picky about the jacket. You just need something that is compatable with your helmet and doesn't rub your neck when your turning your head. Some jackets have huge stiff neck-guards that make it difficult to turn your head with the helmet on. I dress in multiple layers so I don't need to have a 2-piece jacket with a removable inner layer. It's a pain to take them out like a columbia jacket when it's warm out, and they are more difficult to wash.

I am in the market for a new jacket. Should I go specialty or just get a regular winter coat for riding? Any and all opinions welcome. Suppose I'll need sno-pants as well.

It's a matter of budget and snowmobiling habits.

I know you ice fish a lot. Do you also ride snowmobile on trails just for the fun of it? Do you have the budget for snowmobiling-dedicated outerwear?

Here's just my experience.

I only occasionally ride for pleasure. At least 95 percent of the time I'm on the sled because of ice fishing or handyman/maintenance.

So, I have an AA plus suit and a Cabela's extreme weather suit. I fish (and often do other outdoor winter work) in one or the other. They do me just fine for riding on the sled to and from those activities. If I did a lot of joyriding, I'd probably invest in specific snowmobiling outerwear.

Just the way I look at it. May help you, may not. smile