• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jump in pickup???

kevfish1

One of my dogs didn't want to either. I stood in the back of the truck with my other dog encouraging her till she did. It might have took 5 minutes or more with her whining and not being happy that I and my other dog were in that truck without her. Maybe get a friends dog to show your pup the way.

I never encouraged my Britt to jump in the back of my truck. He will put his front paws up on the tailgate and I will boost him up. I generally try to help him down from the truck to, although sometimes he jumps down on his own. Just thought it would be easier on him than jumping up on his own.

One of the first (not the first) commands that I teach is "kennel".

To my dogs that means get into the space that I'm directing them to, no matter where it is... this works well when you need them to jump into the truck (front or back), back of a boat, field blind, the kennel/crate at home, or even the scale at the vets office. It also help to establish dominance within your pack.

It will take some time and TRAINING but along with sit, heel/come and (lay) down it one of the first that I teach.

Keep trying. Mine took a while. Get his crate or cushion and put some food up there and say a command like "truck" or "up'. Make it so its something he likes to do. Eventually they get it. Now when I say truck he cant wait to getin.

Our yellow lab wasn't interested in jumping into the car or out of it when she was a pup. I think they are afraid of falling off so they don't jump. Once they fall the first few times they are not afraid anymore. Im not saying let your pup fall off the truck. I also think its timing and age too. A lot of encouragement and praise when they do it right. As they get bigger they will be excited to go without your command. Use his favorite treat as a reward when he does it right, even as a bribe to get him up on the truck if he really wants the treat he will go for it. Hope this helps.

I used treats and even built a ramp out of some scrap lumber. Of course, my 1.5-year-old lab ignored it all and did it when she felt ready.

Also, for what it's worth, my lab last spring blew out her knee for no obvious reason. To prevent more such problems I am minimizing her jumping - so now I lift her into and out of the truck. Don't know if it makes a differnce, but that jump is the biggest she makes on a regular basis so it has to max out her abilities.

(Plus, middle-aged softy like me needs to lift 70 pounds every so often...but not too often) smile

To my dogs that means get into the space that I'm directing them to, no matter where it is... this works well when you need them to jump into the truck (front or back), back of a boat, field blind, the kennel/crate at home, or even the scale at the vets office. It also help to establish dominance within your pack.

It will take some time and TRAINING but along with sit, heel/come and (lay) down it one of the first that I teach.

The books that I read said the same thing! Kennel for anything you want the dog to enter.

On the bonus side is that none of my dogs have ever jumped out of the back of a truck. I can literally leave my lab in the box (in the shade) all day long and he won't jump out. Same with the cab. Leave him in the cab with the windows wide open and he won't jump out.

Bro,

let him mature a little more. Bolt was almost a year before he would jump in the truck. Just took a little encouragement and him seeing another dog do it to eat his food. Once he was confident and there was food, i think he would have jumped over the entire truck at that point.

If it is not going to happen, simply take a 2x8 and fasten 1x2 to it about 12" o.c. for traction. A simple ramp for him that you can just leave in your truck.

Definitely worth it to teach 'kennel' and generalize it to any place in my opinion. I taught it starting with his kennel and then transitioned to include wherever I point and it is a super convenient command to have for positioning your dog in the boat, getting him into a field blind, etc.

I would not encourage dog to jump into bed of truck. Have personally witnessed a britt breaking leg and never hunting again. I have my dog put front feet on tail gate and I lift them up. That gap between tailgate and bed can be very dangerous. Unless you put piece of carpet over that gap

Mwal

Instead of "kennel" we used "get in". This means any opening, a door to a car, door to a house, boat, her kennel, etc. I also always motion with my hand/arm what I want her to get into. I also use the command "up" when she was young when I wanted her to jump onto something. I never let her jump down out of the truck box. It is too hard on their joints.

I am so glad I started that with my pup and it really works!

Once my lab was big enough, I fed him in the back of my truck. I wouldgive him the command "Up" and then let him figure out how he was going to eat for about 20 minutes. I did not pressure him. i won't use the command "kennel" because it involves alot more than jumping into my cab or going into a kennel/ kennel run.

Be patient even lift the dog up acouple time and let it jump off after it's done eating. Jumping in the back a truck is a big jump for dogs. Food is a big motivator.

Good luck!

Simple ramp helps but even more IMPORTANT.....have something that is non-slip onn the tailgate!! Some double stick tape and an old piece of carpet makes a big difference to a dog. And helping them down is okay too unless they are jumping into some nice soft soil.

Have never had any trouble getting a dog to jump in back of a truck, boat or airplane. I point and say "kennel"....and they know they dare not provoke the wrath of He Who Must Be Obeyed!!

I couldn't get my GSP to jump in a truck. I just kept tossing things she likes in the box and said "up". She eventually got the courage to jump up there.

I agree with Ufatz. You need something non slip in the box. My truck has a spray in liner that is fairly non slip, but my dad's box liner is a hard plastic liner. My dog won't jump in my dad's truck and we think it's because the liner is slippery.

Try backing up to a steep bank so fido can start by basically just walking onto tailgate to get used to it. Then use all the other advice here as you gradually move the vehicle away from the bank increasing the vertical distance.