• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Missed from 12 yards...

were you high up in a tree? steep angle can mess with you, on top of shooting from a different position than you are used to

and you hunt long enough for any animal, you'll miss an easy one. I missed a 10 point buck at 90 yards with a scoped 30-06 a few years ago. Still boggles my mind. Luckily he stood there dumbfounded for a second and I hit him with the next shot smile

I missed a chip shot at 20 yards from a ground blind. The doe looked up and stood there as I sent the second one just over her back as well. Finally, I sent the third one well over her back at 35 yards after she bolted a short distance. Afterwards, I noticed my sight was very loose and had shifted a great deal. It happens for whatever reason and stinks. I feel your pain. I would test everything tomorrow and get back out there. But could just be nerves, a flinch, a branch you didnt see or what not. Good luck!

I missed a 150 inch 10 pointer at about 12 yards, would have been my first big buck, everything was absolutely perfect and I couldn't seal the deal. It was aweful, I almost quit. I got mad, retooled everything, bought a new bow, practiced like crazy, and connected on a 160 inch buck the next year. I have never come so close to smashing a bow, at one point I held it above my head, ready to smash it into little pieces.

you need to try bending at the waist and not just dropping your bow arm. Did you shoot over or under?

+1 normally most will miss high. The best way to help is draw your bow level and then bend at the waist down till you get your pin on target. When you are in a stand and point your bow down at the deer and draw and anchor even with a kisser button it will feel the same however with the string angle your anchoring lower then normal which causes you to shoot high.

[quote=Archerysniper+1 normally most will miss high. The best way to help is draw your bow level and then bend at the waist down till you get your pin on target. When you are in a stand and point your bow down at the deer and draw and anchor even with a kisser button it will feel the same however with the string angle your anchoring lower then normal which causes you to shoot high.

Thanks for the tips, I believe I did shoot high, I haven't looked for the arrow yet because the doe didn't leave the area. Because I had to bring the bow between my legs I was pushing out with my body and I bet your right I just dropped my arm angle. I will give it a shot again tonight, I've been shooting off a 12 foot step ladder all morning, hah.

I missed a pretty good 8 point a few years ago when my bottom cam hit my ARM rest on the stand. The broken arrow landed at his feet and he just slowly walked off. Broken arrow, broken string, cables and lower cam. Lesson learned.

When I was about 14 I missed a huge 10 pointer at 3 yards. 3 yards!!! He was going about mach 3 and I only had a narrow window, but I missed him clean. Your shot was four times that long!!! It happens...

Another thing to always tell yourself is to follow through. Everytime I get excited about a shot I tend to try to pull the bow aside to see where the arrow hits, and as a result shoot way to the left.

Always follow through until the arrow hits the intended target...easier said than done but if you get in the habit of saying it to yourself every shot that helps a lot.

I missed one standing at 2-3 yards.

I was sitting on the edge of a bean field and the deer were supposed to walk by at 10 yards broadside, but the deer didn't read the playbook that day. Anyways I had a doe and fawn come through the woods to my tree and when she hit the spot where I climbed up she doubled back a few steps. I was trying hard to find a hole in the brush and line up the pins with her spine. Finally found a hole I thought would work and hit the release. Missed clean! Looking back I had forgotten my anchor point all together while looking down the arrow. GRRR!

My first deer I hit in the hind socket...was sick when the arrow hit..couldn't for the life of me figure out how I had missed left that far at 10yds. Figured out after thinking my shot thru that I did not use my peep at all. Was in the heat of battle type thing I guess...lol

I got the deer tho...only went 150yds and bled like a stuck pig the whole way!

I agree with the followthrough comment! When I was younger, I missed a 150" buck at about 8 yards and another 145" at 25 yards the next year out of the same stand! I was sick! But I always pulled hard to see where the arrow would hit. Now I shoot and keep the pin on my target until I count to 3. Its worked well for me!

Either way it wont be the last time! You cant practice your heart pounding out of your chest!

Learn from it, dont stew on it. At least it was a doe! grin