• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bunk trailer launching - unhook before or after you're in?

MuskieJunkie

New to bunk trailers here, for you guys that use them do you unhook the strap before you launch, and do you do at all ramps or only the ones that are not very steep? Same question for loading too.

I've seen people do this but am nervous to try it on my new (used but new to me) fiberglass boat.

Follow up question, the trailer has no safety chain, is that normal? 2005 Stratos 386 XF with Stratos trailer if that matters.

Thanks guys

For me, the strap and safety chain both come off and go on while the boat is in the water. Finding out the hard way that the ramp was steeper than I thought is not something I ever want to do.

Safety chain on every boat trailer regardless of style. It's cheap (partial) insurance.

With the bunk trailers that I have had, I have always not unhooked it until its in the water. Honestly, it's likely that its not going to move, but I guess you can never be too careful. I would put a safety chain on it just for what it is "SAFETY". I know a lot of guys unhook theres before they are in the water, BUT I have seen guys unhook there buddies boat that has a roller trailer (because they are use to doing it with their bunk) and the boat ends up on the pavement backing into the launch. Have seen it happen a couple of times on Mazaska, which has a steap launch, which almost ended up in an all out brawl between the two guys. I guess I would be "rather" up set too.

Like I said, being the nice boat that you have, you can't be too careful, but most likely with a heavy boat like that, it's not going to move.

I typically unhook mine, and then back in. It allows my wife, or whoever is with, to float the boat off the trailer.

Its so much easier and quicker at a busy ramp to then not have to get out and typcially wade in the water to unhook the hook.

Given how much water I need to get my boat off the trailer I'm not too worried that it will come off on land.

I always unhook mine when I have the tires near the water, then back it in and float it off. I have a tow rope tied on to pull it in. If I have someone with that can back a boat then I'll sit in the boat and when it floats off I start the motor. When I trailer the boat it gets hooked up along with the safety chain before I pull it out of the water.

I dumped a Ranger on the boat ramp while backing my friend in one spring day on the Mississippi. He was fishing the fall before til ice up and evidently, his bunks were frozen solid that spring day we went out. Started backing down the ramp and there she slid. Aweful feeling.

Its dang convenient to just unhook it but after that experience, I'll back the boat partway in the water, unhook the strap, and go the rest of the way. Takes a few seconds but its not easy getting a bigger boat back on the trailer, not to mention the motor and fiberglass damage.

Play it safe. back in until front of boat is even with water. You can than get out and unhook with out getting wet. If your boat takes off at this point it will land in water and not do any damage. I have seen a nice Ranger get trashed when the driver hit the brakes because he was not lined up well on the ramp and the boat slid off. This was on a fairly steep ramp. The sound it made was not good and I was over thirty yards away in the water. Used a volunteers roller trailer to lift it and back it in so they could reload onto the bunk trailer. You can find many boats on the internet which are totaled like this.

I've never used bunk trailers but I would be pretty nervous about the possibility of having it slide off too soon and end up on the ground. Even if not there's also that possibility of it floating off the trailer before I can get my hands on a rope. Might be funny (for a bystander) in a sick sort of way to see someone watch helplessly as their boat floats out to sea.

Line snapped to the bow eye and attached to te winch or trailer works great, I unload alot alone and slide mine off all the time this way. Once floating pull ahead till the rope on the trailers out of the water and walk up on the dock. Never have understood getting wet to load or unload a boat.

Line snapped to the bow eye and attached to te winch or trailer works great, I unload alot alone and slide mine off all the time this way. Once floating pull ahead till the rope on the trailers out of the water and walk up on the dock. Never have understood getting wet to load or unload a boat.

Same here.

If im alone I back down the ramp to the edge of the water and put my plug in then unhook everything. Then I have a 25 foot launch line that I hook to the boat which then gets tied to the dock. Then I put the boat in and then go put the truck away. If I have no dock to tie to I grab an anchor and attach that and throw it out on the ground. If I have a buddy I usually just hand him the rope and go.

I would also note that I also load way easier with the bunk than with roller trailers. I'm on big water all fall long sometimes twice in one day three or four days out of the week and the bunk has made things much easier for me. In years past I have had to wait or call for help in rough waters trying to load my previous 18 footer onto my old shorelander.

i agree. i have a bunk trailer and i leave the front strap hooked until i get the boat in the water. it only takes a few seconds to step out of the truck, unhook the boat and push the boat off the trailer and secure the boat if your alone and much quicker if you have someone along. good luck.

I keep the strap hooked up on my boat until it's in the water. I would be beating myself up if I unhooked it and the boat slid off. As others mentioned, doesn't add that much time. I would rather play it safe than to be sorry later.

If it is a pretty flat launch I might unhook early. Somewhat steep and I dont risk it. It really doesnt take much time to get out and unhook the winch strap after the trailer is over water.

As for your safety chain issue, my tracker didnt come with one either. I was pretty suprised I thought it was law. I went on a few trips without it but I worried too much as I actually have been in a situation where the safety chain saved our lund from falling off the trailer while driving down 694.

I went to home depot and bought a short length of chain, a screw on link, and hook, all rated for more weight than my boat and rigged up my own safety chain. My boat can be a pain to get off the bunks but I still like having this extra $10 insurance.

why anybody would take the strap off a roller trailer i have no idea, but the second picture i dont get. i'm sorry but i had too laugh realy out loud at that one but i'm sure it wasn't very funny at the time. that's a lot of money sitting on the cement on the first picture. amazing stuff. good luck.

I also had my Grandpa's 16' Lund Stinger go off the back of the trailer onto the highway at Barnacle's on the N side of Mille Lacs. He loaded the boat, never hooked up the safety chain, and the winch came loose somehow. Right off the back of the trailer (roller trailer) and then we dragged it behind the trailer as it was still attached with the winch strap. The entire bar ran out when they heard the noise and helped get the boat back on the trailer.

I was recently fishing a tournament where I winched my partner's Ranger 620 onto the trailer. Before he drove away I told him to do me a favor and check your winch for me. And than said I didn't want to be the last guy to touch it.

Sounds like it's about a 50/50 split. Good info, thanks guys.

As for that 2nd picture, that happened on the Hastings public launch last year (although the river took the rig completely under). The guy ran his boat battery dead trying to start it so he pulled his truck and empty trailer forward down the ramp to jump the boat. The guy was quoted in the paper as saying the ramp is too slick and should be closed. Yeah buddy the ramp is the problem.....

You guys wouldn't believe how many 620/621s I pull out of the water in a year without the owner putting the strap on. Some of these ramps are pretty steep too. I always ask the owner "are you sure" and the same answer every time, and have yet to see one come off. Now, if you use silicone stray on the bunks it's a different game.

I did see a guy dump a Triton 215X on the ramp, but his bunks where siliconed. The damage was surprizingly light.

I have a bunk and have always launched my boat with the strap off. But after reading some of the comments here, I think I'm going to start waiting to unhook the strap until the motor is over the water. Especially now that the temp is dropping, I never thought about my bunks being icy. So I'm breaking the habit and starting anew.

When I load the boat I have to power load right to the crank as the bunks will not let me crank the boat. I will then shut the motor down and hook up the strap to keep the boat on the trailer. I've tried and there is no way I can crank the boat on those bunks. But I won't pull out of the water without it hooked up, because if it slides a little bit there's no cranking. Back it up, float it, stand in the water like a newbie and crank.