• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

KFAN to FM?

LMITOUT

Quote:
KFAN to become FM station; KTLK goes AM

By David Brauer |

Sports station KFAN-1130AM will soon ditch its AM frequency and swap spots with right-wing talker KTLK-100.3FM, according to informed sources.

Up to 50 percent of listeners nationally, especially younger ones, don’t touch the AM band, analyst Sean Ross estimates. Therefore, going FM should help KFAN battle Hubbard Broadcasting’s year-old AM sports competitor, 1500 ESPN.

Clear Channel Communications, which owns KFAN and KTLK, isn't commenting, but it's fair to say they wouldn't mind repeating history.

Five years ago, Clear Channel switched Smooth Jazz KJZI-FM to conservative talk, ultimately vanquishing 1500’s long-dominant predecessor, KSTP-AM.

The KFAN-KTLK swap will happen before the opening of the Minnesota Vikings regular season Sept. 11, and conceivably, early in the exhibition schedule.

Clear Channel already simulcasts the Vikings on KTLK and KFAN, and was slated to do the same with newly acquired Minnesota Gophers football games. One team that will be better off is the Minnesota Wild. They, like the Gophers, switched to KFAN this off-season but were only on AM.

Sweet!

Agree! FM would promote better reception in my neck of the woods as well! Love KFAN! Tomorrow morning Captain Billy!

KFAN in Duluth stinks since it switched to 1490. I would love to have them on a FM station.

Really stinks when you can't pick them up 20 miles away once the sun goes down mad

I believe so.

The change will be nice for the rural folks who lose the signal when the sun goes down and the station has to go to low power. Not to mention that I will be able to listen at work since I can't pick up any AM in my office. smile

Plus, when I'm out fishing my transom trolling motor induces too much noise on the radio and I can't listen to AM.

The only downside to them moving to FM is that I'll be able to pick up the KFAN Outdoors program all the time. puke.gif

LMITOUT, I am surprised you are so accepting of this change. This will eliminate the problems of listening to KFAN but won't this make it harder for you to study Rush Limbaugh, Jason Lewis and Sean Hannity? grin

The only guy I enjoy listening to that's left on that list is Jason Lewis.

Chris Baker saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship.

Found this on their HSOforum.

NOTE: This will NOT affect the signals on any of our FAN Radio Network affiliates. You'll still be able to listen to FAN programming on AM through these stations.

i looked at their sight and it showed that 100.3 may still be broadcast on up to four FM staitions if not all. it showed that the sports channel had a slightly lower listning rating than the talk version but that KFAN had higher revenue than talk. the current Davis/Emmer morning show boosted the talk stations ratings. Minnesota Wild will now have a larger listning area and they may now try to go after the Twins. good luck.

That is going to be the downside. If you're in the area where you can get 100.3 FM now (which I bet you listen to ALL the time), then you should be set. I haven't heard or read of any change in power for this swap, although a touch more would help me out as well with KOLV out of Olivia at 100.1 bleeding into 100.3 quite often. This is especially true in the dense, summer air. I like both channels, but wish they didn't fight with each other in my radio. smile

It is going to be a trade off, I'm afraid. You may currently pick up 1130 fine but only during the sunlight hours before they go to half-power at sunset, and after the change you might be able to get 100.3 all day long as long as your within range...which will be lessened with FM.

my understanding of talk radio on this deal it will be on 102.5 FM starting monday as advertised on 100.3 today. good luck.

102.5 is a low power channel and its signal probably won't carry very far...just around the metro.

Right now 1130AM is simulcast on 103.5FM for people in the metro area.

I listen most of the day, now if they would bring back Puffy I could listen from 9:00-12:00 too. Doh Kay

As Carl Gerbschmidt would say: "nutjob!".

Best thing that ever happened to that station was for him to take a hike. Get rid of P.A. and the Kool-Aid would dry up at the source and maybe some sanity would return to MN sports fans.

Wrost thing that ever happen to PA was when Dubay screw up and they had to can him. The show was never the same since.

Hopefully I can still get Kfan in GF(1440 AM). The common man is one of the best talk shows out there.