• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Car insurance shopping

Scott K

So back in January State Farm raised my rates, said it was an across the board increase on everyone's insurance, mine went up about $30 total a month on a truck, car and boat. I figured at the time it was no big deal. Then a couple weeks ago I get a letter in the mail that says they are going to increase my rates again because of a speeding ticket I got on October 2009. Now other then this one speeding ticket, I have no other tickets within 7 years. I havent had any claims filed for more then 20 years.

I know they can raise my rates because of a speeding ticket, and if they didnt just raise the rates for the sake of raising them, I wouldnt be complaining. But within 6 months time, my rates will have increased $70 a month. With the only reason being a 10 mph over speeding ticket that I got a year and a half ago. I just find it hard to believe that I am that much more of a risk because I was driving at 65mph in a 55mph zone, a year and a half ago. That its worth $840 more per year to insure the same vehicles prior to this year. Not to mention all 3 vehicles are 9 years old, or older.

I think its time to start shopping for a different insurance company. I have been with State Farm for most of my driving life. Is there an easy way to shop, other then to call each agent, and give them all of your info and wait for them to get back to you? The companies I can think of are, American Family, Progressive, the one with that lizard, but I cant think of the name of it. Any others?

Progressive. I shopped them all, and hands down the cheapest. Claims service and service in general have been nothing short of excellent. After State Farm refused to pay Katrina claims, and dropped ALL home owners insurance to any resident of the state of Mississippi, I wouldn't give them a dime.

Scott,

I've been dealing with Tony or Nikki out at Nesbits on 169. They have us set up with AAA. We've checked back a few times and AAA has always been the cheapest for auto coverage.

I switched to State Farm 2 years ago after checking with many insurance companys and they were hands down the cheapest I could find. I switched the house, car, truck, 4 wheeler, sled, boat and saved about $1,200 from the other company I was with for over 20 years. I should have switched much sooner.

We saved almost $700 per year for our 2 vechiles.

I have had zero increases in the past 2 years.

I had one claim with them and they were more than fair.

No complaints for me.

I have State Farm too, and like Harvey Lee I did not get increased. I've been with them for several years with a few claims, no complaints. In fact a few years ago they sent policyholders a rebate check due to a good year, have never gotten a rebate like that from any other insurer.

From what I can tell, no matter what company you are with, you have to switch every few years to get the best rates. I had State Farm for years and got a few quotes that were much cheaper (almost 1/2 less for the same coverage) and switched. Then a few years later the State Farm agent calls back and says they wanted to give me a quote. It was cheaper than what I had so I switched back. Now State Farm's rates keep going up and I have gotten some much cheaper quotes again. I may have to switch again. It si such a pain switching everything over so I hate to do it, but when you are saving several hundred dollars it makes it worth it. I haven't had a chargeable insurance claim for over 10 years.

I do not like to change insurance companies for any of my coverage as I like to know that if I have a claim of any type, I do believe if you have been a good, long standing customer, they will take care of you.

I paid higher claims for years with American Family as they always took very good care of me with any claims I had. That is worth much more than a cheap insurance policy.

I did switch to State Farm as the agent is my neighbor and I am very sure if there was a question on a claim, he would go to bat for me 100%.

With that said, get a ticket or two and the premium game changes totally. They do watch thier risk very closely.

I agree cheaper does not always equate to poor service but if one has never had a claim with a company, one is in the dark on how they handle thier claims.

I have heard some horror stories about some cheap companies on how they handled a few car accident claims.

I am just stating that how a company handles thier claims may be more important than the cheap price for a policy.

I want to know if I have a $50,000 property claim that I have been taken care of very well.

I had one of those larger claims about 15 years ago and I was very please with my outcome. My neighbor was not near as pleased with his outcome. He in fact changed companies after they got done with him.

I've been with State Farm for 16-17 years, guess since I started driving.

Can't say that I've had to use my insurance but my rates have definitely not moved in the last 4-5 years at all.

Although I recommended AAA in an earlier post, I now have to recant. My son was rear ended yesterday totaling his vehicle. Both AAA and our agent made no guarantees that our rates won't go up again. mad

The search is on.

I've been with Allstate for over 20 years. Rates are fair, my agent is awesome (for insurance agents), no increases, and when I filed a homeowners claim a few years ago they were right on it with no problems.

Scott, I know of a few other guys with State Farm going through the same thing you are. One recently filed a homeowners claim, had to jump through numerous hoops, and when it was over with they dropped him.

Well, I didnt shop to far, a friend found out I was shopping and called me and gave me a quote, I am presently paying about half of what I was paying before. State Farm came back with a small discount from what they just raised my bill to, so I am now a member of North Star Insurance. I had them for my house Insurance several years ago, and had made a couple claims with them, and never had an issue, I guess I wasnt even aware they did auto insurance. Any how, thanks everyone for the info, and it does pay to shop around. I am saving over $600 a year now, just on the auto insurance alone.

All I will say about insurance is there are probably a thousand different companies licensed in MN to sell you a policy but just make sure that you have a name (agent) to go back to so you can hold them accountable for helping you when you need them the most. Calling a care center in some other state and dealing with a person with a foriegn accent is not what I would want to deal with if I were in need. I would rather call or go down to my agent's office and have them walk me through the process and to reassure me that I will be handled properly.

I've been with State Farm all my (insurance) life. Rates have always been competitive for me.

That said, I got a nastygram from them a couple months ago. Basically "Paint your house or else we're dropping you."

I've had various combinations of multi vehicles and renter's insurance, and home owner's insurance with SF (30 years total uninterruped customer in some way shape or form), with ZERO claims, now that letter. I don't disagree the house needs paint, but a letter like that? Has me thinking...

they give you a letter like that so it will prevent loss to them in the future.....paint protects the exterior of the house and if it is gone or bad then it leads to water penetration on the house and will cause problems for you and possibly your insurnace company if a claim is made. It is called preventative measures to reduce chances for a claim. Paint your house!!! You will be happy your insurance company will be happy and I am sure your neighbor's will be happy!! haha Good luck