• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yahmaha 150 4 stoke or 150 Etec

Farley

Don't know how you could do any better than a Yamaha. It might cost more but it will also likely be a LOT less problematic over time.

Yamaha motors. Shimano reels. Black Labradors. Parker Shotguns. Maker's Mark......stay with the good stuff. LOL.

Yamaha motors. Shimano reels. Black Labradors. Parker Shotguns. Maker's Mark......stay with the good stuff. LOL.

LOL The only thing on that list i have\use is the reel.

Still leaning towards the etec, cheaper, lighter, No break in period, no dealer scheduled maintence for 3 years. No doubt the yammy is a solid motor, thats why its such a tough decision. A guy here at work said he just came back from mexico and all those fishing resorts down there all run the yammy 150 4 stroke.

For me, I'm not at all sold on the E-tec, but the Yamaha has a really, really good reputation. It's up to you of course but I don't see a tough decision here. Good luck with whatever you decide and congrats on the new motor!

I would no doubt go with the Yamaha 150. Like others have said they are pretty much the standard that others are measured by in the 90-150 range. I just know too many guys who have had issues with E-techs.

Greg? wink

For me, I'm not at all sold on the E-tec

Any particular reason why?

Not that rare to hear of issues with the E-tec. The no break-in and no maintenance for 3 years just do not pass the common-sense test for me. I know there's lots of guys out there who love their E-Tecs but I just am not on-board with them yet, especially when there are so many better options --- IMO.

We'll I'm not basing my decision soley on what is said on this particular thread. Sounds like most of the guys here havent ran the Etec at all, just have heard the same horror stories. The guys who have them seem to like them a lot. Not that I dont appreciate the opinions, I thank you guys for them. I did get a quote on a Yammy 150 yesterday and I was suprised to find it was a little cheaper than what I've been quoted on the Etec.

I would have no problem with either. Both are strong motors. If you're looking for more performance, I'd go E-Tec, if you're looking for a good all-round motor, Yammy. Both are pretty quiet. I wouldn't lose sleep over either. I'd base on price and dealer strength of service on each brand.

The E-Tec "horror stories" have died off and problems with the motor are about in line with other brands.

The E-Tec "horror stories" have died off and problems with the motor are about in line with other brands.

I personally know two people who got brand new E-tecs this spring, who have already had their motors in the shop for LONG periods of time getting their motors working again! It's up to you of course, but I'd prefer something with a better track record if it was going on my boat. As I said before, I think there are some other good options, like the F150 you asked about.

I personally know two people who got brand new E-tecs this spring, who have already had their motors in the shop for LONG periods of time getting their motors working again!

Did they find out what was wrong with the motors?

Also were they the H.O. series?

So some of the newer boats with Yamahas (and other brands) with their hoods off I've seen at dealers this Spring must have been a mirage? All brands have/have had their issues. There's really not a brand of motor out there now I wouldn't feel comfortable with anymore. Suzy, Merc Verado, Honda, E-Tec, Yammy . . . it all comes down to price, dealer service and, if applicable, brand experience and/or sponsorship.

We'll I'm not basing my decision soley on what is said on this particular thread. Sounds like most of the guys here havent ran the Etec at all, just have heard the same horror stories. The guys who have them seem to like them a lot. Not that I dont appreciate the opinions, I thank you guys for them. I did get a quote on a Yammy 150 yesterday and I was suprised to find it was a little cheaper than what I've been quoted on the Etec.

Go with it.

geeez i just lost every thing i just typed.. mad..lol

any way i OWN a 150 e-tec

go buy it you wont be sorry

as said here most arnt running them

and talking hear-say

mine purrrs like kitten for 3 yrs going on 4 this summer

power....i'm on plane right now in a 20ft glass boat i spose bout 1800lbs empty...never lose sight over the bow.(safty!!!!)

can pull cranks on flat water at 2.5 going foward

2 weeks ago i was on mille lacs back trolled all day in bout 15mph wind

the wind made more noise than the motor

not sure where stockholm is but if you are any where near brainerd

stop by i'll give you a ride..proof is in the puddin as they say

i gotta go ta bed

old ya know lol

but wise thats why i OWN an E-TEC....lol

I'm not sure if my opinion is helpful because I'm not dealing with that size range but I just recently upgraded my 90hp to an E-tec (Memorial weekend). A week after installing it I went on our annual Canada fishing trip. We put on between 50 and 75 miles a day on the water over a five-day period. I was thoroughly impressed with my new E-tec. I find nothing to complain about. But then, it is still new.

geeez i just lost every thing i just typed.. mad..lol

any way i OWN a 150 e-tec

go buy it you wont be sorry

as said here most arnt running them

and talking hear-say

mine purrrs like kitten for 3 yrs going on 4 this summer

power....i'm on plane right now in a 20ft glass boat i spose bout 1800lbs empty...never lose sight over the bow.(safty!!!!)

can pull cranks on flat water at 2.5 going foward

2 weeks ago i was on mille lacs back trolled all day in bout 15mph wind

the wind made more noise than the motor

not sure where stockholm is but if you are any where near brainerd

stop by i'll give you a ride..proof is in the puddin as they say

i gotta go ta bed

old ya know lol

but wise thats why i OWN an E-TEC....lol

Wait a second. You are on plane right now? Then you gotta go to bed? Better shut off the motor first. smile

This right here. I could have had basically any flavor out there. From past experience... Since 1984... Yamaha. My new boat is getting rigged as we speak with a Yamaha F150. And a Yamaha 9.9 kicker if that matters. grin

My neighbor's father has an E-Tec. Sounds like a love-hate relationship everytime we talk boats. YMMV. Good luck!!

Well I called up to the marina where we prefer to have it installed and he was $1000 higher on the Etec than anywhere else I've called and another $1000 higher than that for the Yahmaha. That other Yamaha that I got the good quote on was for a 25", we need the 20", and apparently those are hard to come by? Oh well we got time to find a better deal.

Gregg, Stockholm is Stockholm Township south of Cokato Mn. Thanks for the offer.

I have followed a lot of the talk on here about e-techs and other outboards strictly out of curiosity as I am not in the market for anything new and won't be for a while. Anyways I am visiting family up in Alaska right now and had a conversation about this topic with my brother who has worked at a very large dealership for quite some time. He is now the C.O.O. and has his hand in many aspects of the business. When I posed the e-tech vs other outboards question to him the response I got from him was we sell Suzuki, Yamaha, evinride, and Honda and we don't see any one brand brought in for unexpected service or problems than any other. That being said, last year when his father in law bought a new boat he suggested that he go with the e-tech and he did. He put a 150 e-tech on a 21' jetcraft and It is one helluva nice setup. A year later and no complaints.