• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Roller vs. Bunk

UNIT

I have one of each, i like the bunk better ,each has its advantages, more support for the boat with a bunk ive seen rollers crack or pop a hole in aluminum boats if the trailer is to heavy for the boat , make sure you have the correct weight rated trailer for the weight of boat motor and gear .on the other hand rollers are better unloading /loading ,just back in enough that the back set is submerged goose it a little and youre on, guide ons are a great help, only thing if you are by yourself sometimes you have to leave the motor in gear to get up to the bow and latch it depends how steep the ramp is .

I have had both, and after a roller, I will have nothing but a roller again.

Works very well at shallow landings! Just need to remember not to unhook the boat until you are in the water. Saw someone dump their brand new 1850 Tyee on the pavement a few years ago.

I have a 16 ft Lund on a roller and a 20 ft glass boat on a bunk. I can load the bigger boat easier, faster, and straighter every time. It self centers perfectly. I'm not sure if my experiences are due to the size/type of boats, but obviously I like the bunk a lot better.

In response, if you were going to make your decision based on the trailer and you had two boats that were identical what would you choose?

Thanks

I think the type of boat would play a role in this decision. Maybe I'm wrong but my gut instinct says that rollers would be pretty much a no-no on a fiberglass boat. Bunks distribute the weight of the boat and support the boat better than rollers. Rollers can cause small dents in the bottom, especially if there aren't enough on the trailer or if they're not properly placed to distribute the weight.

Rollers give you access to shallow launches. To launch and land off bunks you have to be able to get deep enough to float the boat. Unless you're Hercules you won't be able to slide it off and even he might struggle.

Roller trailers that are properly adjusted for your boat will self-align the boat as you load.

My preference is roller but I've never owned a bunk so I'm biased. Have seen enough people struggle with bunks to convince me that I don't want one.

Last year I had 14 foot aluminum boat with bunk trailer and late in season I traded pair of football tix to change over to roller & loved it, much easier to load & unload, especially shallow water, no longer had to have back of truck in water to unload. New 16 ft aluminum boat is all roller trailer, cannot wait to get it to water and test it out.

i had a roller it was ok loaded easy enough but sometimes wasnt on as staight as it could be

this one bunk and it a 20ft glass boat so its heavy

you cant really get it on the trailer crooked

but if you are alone you do need a good landing perferable deep

cuz you cant crank that boat on

if i was an engineerr i would build a trailer with rollers that would allow the boat to drop down on bunks after loaded

gregg,

Spray your bunks with a silicone. It makes the boat slide much easier. You only have to do it once a season. When I'm landing the boat the first time of the season I spray most of a can of silicone on the dry bunks.

Next time you launch it's like a roller trailer, don't unhook the boat before you have it over the water!

if i was an engineerr i would build a trailer with rollers that would allow the boat to drop down on bunks after loaded

I know you're a yarcraft guy but I have to tell you ..... Ranger already has this option.

I have a bunk trailer now after having several roller trailers. I really don't see myself going back to a roller trailer, although I have been to a few smaller lakes with dirt accesses that have been a PITA with the bunk trailer. But 99% of the time the bunk trailer is easier and quicker than the roller trailer, and for sure better for the bottom of the boat.

really ????

makes it slide that easy

i remember someone saying that before but didnt think it would make that much difference

i will try it

any special kind or brand ?????

i'll look into that ranger trailer

i kinda thought if i said that some one might know of one

can't be that hard to get one to fit a yar craft

the older i get the more concerned i get about that might have to go to a smaller boat..lol..probably not..lol

The brand I use is GUNK. Only because that's what the local Fleet Farm sells. I don't think brand matters as long as it is silicone lubricant. I have an 18' Stratos and it slides easily on the siliconed bunks.

well that probably wont happen either

but thats not the problem

i never have beer in my boat

beer comes out back out the rv cleaning fish!!!!!

might lose a finger someday.....lol

thanks i'll get some of that GUNK i'm in fleet once or twice aweek

you know if fleet doesnt have it you dont need it...lol

Maybe I'm wrong but my gut instinct says that rollers would be pretty much a no-no on a fiberglass boat.

I'm not sure. My parents had a 20ft Regal fiberglass and it had roller with no problems. And now they have a 20ft Ebtide with bunks. So either you can use either, or the boat manufacturers wised up.