• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Let's talk about line choices.

DTro

In the order I've tried them out:

Stren

Sufix

Power Pro

Fireline

Spiderwire

Out of hose, I'd really only nix the fireline. Their braid cuts through fluorocarbon leader material when tying a line-to-line knot.

I've only had one failure of braided line once. I was fishing for small sharks and snook in salt water, and something BIG took my bait. Long story short I broke it off rather than lose over 300 yards of line. I don't even remember what brand I had that spooled with since it was four or five years ago, but probably power pro, but the line itself did the job it was supposed to. I don't fish from shore with cutbait without a Senator anymore, the spinning rod is for chucking shrimp.

For happiness of use on the water and overall FEEL of the quality, I like Sufix the best. I want to try out their new stuff.

I currently have power pro and spiderwire on my reels. The power pro I put on two seasons ago because it was cheap, the spiderwire I put on last season because it was free (friend gave it to me). I've been more than happy with both of them. Between the two I like spiderwire better, but only marginally.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have to throw my two cents into this one. First off I am not set up for flatheads at all only channels.

I know that a good braid you almost never break off a big fish. I also know that with no stretch circle hooks will set faster. Both huge advantages. That being said getting into a snag with braid sucks and bad. I typically run a 6 line set in my boat and don't want to be fighting with breakoffs and cutting myself all up at every snag. I have also found that most braid is junk when fishing in rocks like the ones at Selkirk. It just does not handle the sharp edges very well.

I use good old mono. Big Cat has never let me down (accept with the occasional old or bad spool) and what I like is I can break and run a lot faster. Last year I rigged up with Ande Premium and must say I liked it. I guess I did not dislike Berkley either. I understand I am dealing with a bit more stretch and I will lose the occasional fish but the positives outweigh the negatives in my little world.

I started off with Spiderwire and Fireline when they came out, but they killed the guides on my rod (made little notches) because the drag coefficient was too high (so I'm told). Then I tried Power Pro on some musky setups. I found it to be pretty good. I agree with dtro, the bigger diameter stuff worked better for me, in this case because with all the musky casting I was doing, the larger diameter didn't cut into the spool as bad and cause birds nests. I never had problems with power pro, but I also haven't tangled with a flathead bigger than low 30 pounds or near snags. I just used my musky reels and line for a few years, then flipped the spool when things were looking a little worn. Now I'm in a position that a couple reels need all new line. I ordered some hi viz Suffix 832 (the new stuff) to see how good it really is.

proguide, your comments about the benefits of braid leaders with circle hooks for channels are interesting. I've always paired circles with mono leaders to give that hook some time to catch in a channel cat's mouth corner. I found I lost more fish with braid leaders. Maybe, like dtro suggested earlier in this thread, it's a confidence thing. Perhaps both work.

I guess to clarify, I would not use braided leaders either. I was talking about braid as the main line. Just not having the stretch in the line when using circle hooks will tighten and move the hook faster than waiting for the fish to pull out a few inches of stretch.

Yeah I guess I was always under the assumption of the exact opposite and that you wanted some stretch in the line and slow action on the rod when you use circle hooks.

Who knows....I think its mostly semantics anyways. Just fun to get everyones opinion.

Oh BTW, I found a great deal on the Hi Vis Suffix, so it was a no brainer for my decision, especially since I like it so much.

I'd still like to try that Invicta though. I'm giving away 2 spools of it for the KOTC so someone will get to try it!

Yeah I guess I was always under the assumption of the exact opposite and that you wanted some stretch in the line and slow action on the rod when you use circle hooks.

The key to circles is the rod hands down. getting rid of the stretch actually makes the hook set quicker.

Well it wasn't super cheap, I found 300yd spools on the big aution site for $30 with free shipping. seller--jdeatz That was cheaper than anything else I could find.

Usually shipping kills most deals.

It will be interesting to see what you think of the 832. I like the lighter stuff on the spinning reels but the heavy seemed pretty thin like PP for it's size. I still have plenty of reels with 80PP on it but have been slowly filling things up when needed with either Tuff XP or Suf. They seem to be pretty similar and it seems as though the abrasion resistance it a little better. Like others have said- a confidence thing. They all work great if there's no weak spots. I TRY to inspect my line often on other rods while I'm waiting for a bite but you know how that goes.

I also have been using the Suffix performance braid but need to spool a new reel so i bought the new 832 line at 80#. it was cheaper than PP at C^belas in Owatonna...

I'm curious to know the difference between the 832 and the Performance Braid.

I tried to do a little research and from what I've read it might be the same thing just possibly renamed?

Diameter is the same, but I did read about some sort of Gore Tex manufacturing process, but who knows.

I'm guessing the 832 will replace the Performance Braid.

Well this year I will have to buy line for kittys and will most likely go with Tuff line or HY Vis suffix as my free spool of line from the guy that worked at berkly has about run out and I can't find nothing on the shelve like it I thought it was fusion but when I look at it out of the box its not.

I may have to look into this 832 stuff

Sufix Performance Braid in 80# has 9 strands when I pulled it apart. The 50# and 65# has only 8 strands. So those lines are about equal to the new 832 braids with 8 strands. I cut a little bit of each line and toss it into the fish tank. The Performance Braid is pretty much neutral when fully soaked. The 832 braid has a slow sink rate to it.

This is the first time I've changed my line choice since I started catfishing so we'll see how things work out.

All the 80lb PowerPro got replaced with Sufix 832 on my Garcia 7000s today, almost 600 yards. Never had a problem with the PowerPro but couldn't resist on the 832 after reading all the great reports on the stuff so far. Have also used Sufix and Courtland Masterbraid in the muskie world and have been impressed with those lines as well. I'm going to spool 20lb on my walleye crank trolling rods as well.

In a muskie application, I think the PowerPro holds a heck of a lot more water than Sufix which means water spraying off the reel and wet hands while retrieving.

Sufix 832 is 8 strands with 32 weaves per inch, hence the '832' designation. 7 of those strands are Dyneema and 1 strand is Gore (Not Gore-tex).

I doubt there is much difference in strength. Then again, there probably isn't much difference in strength between all 80lb braids. Just seems like some have better attributes (rounder, limper, softer, holds less water, etc).

None of which probably equates to more fish in the boat smile

Hard to argue with these commercials though:

Sufix Performance Braid in 80# has 9 strands when I pulled it apart. The 50# and 65# has only 8 strands. So those lines are about equal to the new 832 braids with 8 strands. I cut a little bit of each line and toss it into the fish tank. The Performance Braid is pretty much neutral when fully soaked. The 832 braid has a slow sink rate to it.

That is the gore doing its work resisting water!

flipped all the rigs ready to go now.

top to bottom

Ming Yang C L 60 with 100lb ultra cast

Abu 5600 winch with 100lb Dyneema

Abu RCN60 80lb PP

Shimano Cardiff 400b with 80lb Dyneema

Shimano Calcutta 400s with 100lb Dyneema

P3273402.jpg