• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hummingbird vs Lowrance

Whoknows

I like the screen on the Lowrance unit better, but the Humminbird unit gives you the option of down imaging or conventional sonar (the Lowrance is down scan view only) and I'd like the flexibility to choose between the 2 views. Hope that helps.

For that money I would also look at the HDS 5. Many options as far as scanning with those units and you can also link lowrance HDS units.

Either way all the units mentioned will serve you well. I prefer Lowrance.

Mike

I have a LCX 27c Lowrance and cannot get rid of it, I despise the stupid thing every time I use it. I sworn I never go back to Lowrance again.

Get the Humminbird, you don't want to make a mistake you cannot get out of it.

For that money I would also look at the HDS 5. Many options as far as scanning with those units and you can also link lowrance HDS units.

Either way all the units mentioned will serve you well. I prefer Lowrance.

Mike

I believe one can now also link the Bird units.

I use to run all Lowrance units and have now switched to the Humminbird line.

I had some issues and was not real happy with Lowrance. Their CS is less than desirable.

Their new Lowrance units could all well be better but I decided to not take that chance.

The Bird unit will give you more options. I switched to both Bird units a year ago.

FWIW, the Lowrance units that Valv and Gregg are complaining about are units that were discontinued 3 years ago --- and they're 2 generations older than the electronics being asked about by the original poster. Lots of guys still complain about units from that generation.

The Lowrance Elite series came out last year and all the reports on it have been really good.

Even though the DSI and DI units from Lowrance and Humminbird are new this year, the down viewing technology came out last year. The reports on both company's down viewing technology are also really good. There's lots of discussion about which is better, because there's differences in how the down image is captured/created ..... but the bottom line is that both company's down viewing units work really well.

I do not want to turn this thread into a slam Lowrance thread at all but, I do believe Dave that the real issue here is Lowrance's customer service.

Any company can have a bad product but one does hope that if they do, that said company will stand behind their products and help the consumer.

That was the real issue with many Lowrance units. I am sure Lowrance's new units are better but what would concern me is their CS.

ya i didnt even bother with customer service

i agree thats a majot factor

also it doesnt seem like its just one product

its to bad cuz i'm sure carl lowrance is ashamed

It now seems in retrospect that Lowrance must have been in financial or organizational trouble when they came out with the products that were so bad, and couldn't handle the resulting problems. I believe that was what was behind their getting bought by simrad. They introduced a whole bunch of new products in 2003 and in 2006 got bought. The 2003 products had many problems. (reminds me of OMC and FICHT)

It remains to be seen if the recent products under the new owners are better.

Try looking around for a deal on the older version of the 798 SI unit from humminbird. Most places sell them for about $800 right now but look and you might find one even cheaper, I was able to grab one for $680. You can download the upgrade and give yourself traditional sonar, side imaging, down imaging and gps.

Id go the Humminbird route if the lowrance unit really doesnt have traditional sonar view.

Those 700 series Humminbirds are nice. My dad just got one for his boat, and I really wanted one for mine as well.

[un]fortunately, I had a flush mount and the only unit that would fit in the same hole was a HDS-5.

I dont think you can go wrong as I have seen both side by side and theyre both great units.

I have been in contact with both Lowrance and HB customer support for a couple install questions, and was happy with both. HB answered the phone a little quicker, but both calls were much less painful than calling my cable company.

I wouldnt hesistate to go with either. If you want to network multiple units (with side scan) the Lowrance is a bit cheaper in the long run. But both are great units, and great companies.

I run both, on the same boat, so far so good ,both units do what i want and need them to do work!talk to a guy in retail thats been around for a while he can tell you which ones come back to the store,personally my worst experience was with an eagle a.k.a.lowrance as Harvey said 'badddd customer service'!! along with a fishin trip without electronics and they couldnt even tell me what unit to buy that would redily hook up to the unit without rewiring it. but thats not the worst the 25 dollar roaming charges to my cell phone bill listening to what the co. clown had to say .