• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Two Best Weekends of 2011

matchset

I like the two weekends before gun opener for all day action...but I also really like about the the second and third weekend after opener as well, really good time to pattern a mature buck maybe still in bachelor groups and moving earlier. Biggest two deer I have ever seen and not had a shot at were both in September....

I generally like and see mature bucks the first two weeks of the season and then again the 2 weeks before rifle season. I will hunt the weekends hard and usually save a few extra vacation days for some midweek hunting either just before that last Oct weekend or the week before rifle opener. For whatever reason late Oct has been better to me than early Nov.

I also find it a little more useful to plan mid-week hunts later in the week on Wed, Thurs, Fri. Sometimes the pressure from the weekend hunters will keep bucks a little spooked the first couple days of the week.

Two best weekends of MN archery season for taking a mature buck:

1. Opening weekend

2. Weekend before firearm opener *

* 2nd weekend of November if minimal gun pressure exists or cold weekend in Dec over standing crops

I used to bowhunt 70 days a year. I bought a dog and started upland hunting. I now bowhunt 10 days a year. The week of opener, and the week before gun starts. My harvest rate is actually up. If I only had a week it would be the week before gun.