• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Christmas music

Steve Foss

Do you have favorites?

One of my all-time faves is Chanticleer's version of "Ave Maria." I've been totally in love with excellent chorale music for along, long time.

But I'm just as happy listening to Burl Ives having 'A Holly Jolly Chrismas," and Gloria Estefan's "Christmas Through Your Eyes" is great! Joni Mitchell's "River" lives in a league of its own and probably always will.

Unless it's some goofy wide-eyed and laughing arrangement, "Silent Night" might be my favorite traditional of all time, and a rousing chorus in 8-part harmony or a church full of Lutherans (my Catholic church brethren can't sing worth carp) belting out "Deck the Halls" gets the blood pumping and ready for some special egg nog. I still remember the bass parts of quite a few traditional Christmas carols, not to mention the "Hallelujah Chorus" from Handel's "Messiah." gringrin

What versions of Christmas music do you just have to hear to get into the holiday spirit?

And hey, if you love Country Christmas music, don't be afraid to fess up.

Merry Christmas, one and all, and God bless! smile

Just in case you're interested. smile

Christmas music is a guilty pleasure of mine and I've got KOOL 108 on non-stop throughout the month.

I prefer the traditional stuff...Bing, Rat Pack, Burl, Brenda Lee, Perry Como, et al. Don't care for the "newer" remakes and can't stand that Yoko Ono and John Lennon song. sick

And how can you mention Christmas music without this one?

grin

Merry Christmas everybody!

O Tannenbaum on piano? That is fantastic. I really love Christmas music big time.

Quote:
I prefer the traditional stuff...Bing, Rat Pack, Burl, Brenda Lee, Perry Como, et al.

I actually completely concur with LMIT on this one.

However, my ALL TIME favorite is Rusty Chevrolet! I owned a Rusty Chevrolet of my own for several years (every mechanical problem in the book, but kept on tickin') and I heard that tune in my head all the time when I drove to work.

Quote:
The top 10 most-played ASCAP holiday songs in 2010 are:

1. "Sleigh Ride" – played 174,758 times, written by Leroy Anderson, Mitchell Parish, most popular artist version performed by Leroy Anderson

2. "Winter Wonderland" – played 156,441 times, written by Felix Bernard, Richard B. Smith, most popular artist version performed by Eurythmics

3. "Jingle Bell Rock" – played 135,200 times, written by Joseph Carleton Beal, James Ross Boothe, most popular artist version performed by Bobby Helms

4. "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" – played 124,883 times, written by Edward Pola, George Wyle, most popular artist version performed by Andy Williams

5. "White Christmas" – played 113,290 times, written by Irving Berlin, most popular artist version performed by Bing Crosby

6. "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" – played 108,964 times, written by Ralph Blane, Hugh Martin, most popular artist version performed by The Carpenters

7. "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas" – played 101,433 times, written by Meredith Willson, most popular artist version performed by Bing Crosby

8. "Frosty the Snowman" – played 88,546 times, written by Steve Nelson, Walter E. Rollins, most popular artist version performed by Jimmy Durante

9. Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree – played 87,736 times, written by: Johnny Marks, most popular artist version performed by Brenda Lee

10. "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting...)" – played 84,049 times, written by Mel Tormé, Robert Wells, most popular artist version performed by Nat King Cole.