• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weather and movement

MUSKY18

Well I thougt they would be on the move nothing last night sat alldaytoday didnt get col and wet until about 3 the snow didnt start around Nisswa until 12 Never saw a deer? Justone o toe days, would have thought they would move. Not where I was.

Had a buddy shoot a 6pt last night from the ground with hislong bow he ws chasing

My dad, brother, and I gout out this afternoon.

My dad saw a pair of fawns and another doe w/ a fawn.

The doe and fawn walked by my brother at 10 yds, but he won't shoot a doe w/ a fawn(s).

I saw an adult sized deer right when I got out of the ground blind. It had just walked onto the food plot, way to my left, so I didn't see it then.

Lots of tracks around, probably should have been out this a.m. Planning on doing a couple of mid day sits this week as I'm on night shifts all week.

Brian

The deer were moving fine today in Crow Wing County. We cut the tracks of seven deer and played leapfrog tracking them. My buddy got as close as the fresh empty beds before they slipped off into some cabin yards.

We left early so I could help my Mom with her snow and power outage but heard from him later that he had gone back and found deer tracks in my tracks. In all we saw 12 fresh sets of tracks on one 120 acre piece of land before Noon.

We had pretty good movement up there as well. Could've shot plenty of does but only one guy had a doe permit so only one went on the pole. I saw the only buck - a forkie Sat morning. Lots of tracks and sign in the clear cuts. After opening weekend, the deer all get pushed into stuff and they don't come out. Makes it tough.

Yeah, I started out hunting that stuff they don't come out of. Couldn't hardly see more than 30 yards in any direction. Thought I was on the best escape route for the property. They never came in though! Outsmarted myself again.

I did have a decent 8 leave his bed after I'd been in a stand for an hour. The wind swayed a bit and he got up. When I went to raise my gun, a red squirrel lit up in the tree next to me. I didn't know he was there. The buck put it into gear and crashed through the swamp and across the river where someone shot him. Wish I would have gotten the chance. It was the first time in my years of hunting that I can honestly say a red squirrel did his job.

Moving down to Bock this weekend.

Dang squirrels! It's tough. We had ours clearcut 5-6 years ago. The west boundary was done 20 years ago and the north/east was just done 2 years ago. Lots of hiding spots for pressured deer to seek refuge. I hope with the limited doe tags and extensive cover, the herd will rebound and we get back to managed next fall.