• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog attacked by Wolves during Grouse hunting

Mudflap

My 55 lb English Setter was attacked by 3 Wolves on Oct 16th. at 10:00 in the morning with a beeper collar cranked up for my deaf ears to hear.

I witnessed this from a 25 yard vantage point.

These 3 were in kill mode and didn't care if I yelled, shot in the air or ran at them like a crazed maniac. I'm glad that the outcome came out positive due to fact that the dog was working close at that moment.

I had just read of a guy on the Photograpy thread of his Lab being attacked very similar and had to respond. Many other dogs in Northern Minnesota have also been attacked and killed lately,in the field and rural yards.

I just wanted to inform hunters to keep your dogs in view while in the woods and alert the local CO to Wolf encounters.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty amazing stuff!! How did you get the wolves to break off? It is NOT surprising that wolves attacked, they seem drawn to dogs for some reason. But usually if THREE wolves, which probably each weighed twice as much as your little dog, the encounter should have been over in seconds. You and the dog are very fortunate. Although they should not have been hungry, wolves have a propensity to kill just for the hell of it on occasion.

And if wolves in the area (where?) are that bold it might be time for some action on the part of wildlife officials.

I note that Anchorage area wolves in a couple specific spots are being thinned out for just that reason, and wolves are common as dirt around Anchorage.

Your dog is a lucky lil' canine.

This attack happened between Bemidji and Itasca State Park.

3 shots were fired into the air with me sprinting thru a poplar slashing.

After reloading, two loads were put into the flank of the most agressive of the 3 at 15 yards. I dry fired twice as the remaining two retreated on the same game trail I was standing on.

Considering at one point she had three wolves attached to her,wounds were superficial.

I reported it to the Authorities and no charges were pressed. They gave me the impression that atacks like this are becoming frequent and packs have become very territorial as habitat dwindles.

The days of just having a pointing dog within beeper collar hearing distance are over for me.

Okay, thanks for follow-up information. Your hunting pal is a perfect example of the proverbial "lucky dog" I'd say! Ha! Wolves DO have a propensity to attack dogs (some, of a deep earthy spiritual nature claim they do it because they consider dogs traitors) and they will grab them right out of your yard when there get to be TOO many of them and they become to casual about contact with man.

Those of us who hunt where there are wolves have to keep that fact in mind. And I would assume the MN DNR people would take action when they are convinced the animals have become a serious threat.

In your case, count your blessings. You will have a heck of a story to tell your grandchildren.

My dog was the one that was attacked by two wolves over on the photography forum. I am glad to hear your dog is okay as well and its amazing she wasn't harmed. My dog is still on antibiotics and her wound is still draining but it does not look infected which is good.

Wow, glad to hear that your pal is ok. It really doesn't surprise me though. Wolves are very territorial. They will even kill other wolves if they get into their territory. They are kinda like the Street gangs of the woods. In wolf territory I wouldn't leave my dog out of sight. It is quite scarry how close they came to you.

The actual number of wolves in this state is high and likely under reported. As I noted in another thread, it is probably why the cougars do not remain in the state too long and have not been able to become a viable population.

We are seeing wolves (pack) on our trail cams and they are not set too far North of the metro.

Between 100 - 200 wolves are killed in MN each year by USDA agent trappers. Another 100 - 200 wolves are captured and moved each year.

brittman. where you talking? I have a family friend who has reported seeing them around her farm just north of the metro. says they watch her young horse. she's kinda nutso though so i take it with a grain of salt, but who knows.