• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog attacked by Wolves during Grouse hunting

Mudflap

Sorry to hear you girl got attacked. I wish her a speedy recovery.

... I reported it to the Authorities and no charges were pressed. ...

That's good because there should not have been any issue. Even under ESA protection it is legal to kill a wolf, "...posing an immediate threat on any property, as long as the owner is supervising the pet." Then it just has to be reported to a CO within 48 hours and "evidence" has to be preserved including surrendering the carcass to the CO.

At this point, the State doesn't have the authority to manage wolves. They are still afforded protected status under the ESA because of a lawsuit by, I believe, Defenders of Wildlife that reversed the recent delisting.

I am actually a big fan of wolves. They are magnificent animals, IMO. Through the course of my duties I have been within 20 feet of wolves and pups in the woods. I am also a dog owner and with that being said I have no qualms what so ever with someone killing one in defense of their pet.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you were able to intervene and save your companion from serious harm or death. You and your dog are very fortunate, many of these encounters turn out much worse. Some have expressed no problem with killing a wolf to defend your dog, and I certainly agree, but often there is little time to react, even for those with dogs that hunt fairly close. Very little chance for those of us who run hounds or even wide ranging pointers.

The reality is that these are no longer rare encounters as wolf densities continue to increase and their range expands. Expecting dog owners to "supervise" and fend off wolf attacks is an act of desperation made necessary by the inability (for social and legal, not biological, reasons) to manage the population at reasonable levels.

I agree that wolves are "cool" and "magnificent" animals, and do not advocate their extermination. However the attributes that made wolves unique and interesting was their relative rarity, secretive nature and association with wilderness. Much of the novelty has worn off now that they have become common sightings in densely populated areas. The wolf would be no less noble or magnificent (maybe more) if the population were managed at the level identified in the recovery plan of 1200-1500 rather than current levels.

walleye101, great last paragraph! I completely agree! We see them more and more, especially while hunting up by our cabin between Grygla and Roseau. They seem less and less scared of man every time I encounter one. From tearing up a carcass in a field just off the ditch edge to meandering across a grouse trail during broad daylight 20 yards in front of a hunter....

Mudflap, I'm glad you said that it happened between Bemidji and Itasca, otherwise people would think it happened in Nymore. We all know Nymore doesn't need wolves added to the bad rep it has already... wink

Glad the pup is good to go!

The wolf would be no less noble or magnificent (maybe more) if the population were managed at the level identified in the recovery plan of 1200-1500 rather than current levels.

EXACTLY.

Where would MN be without active bear hunting? They would be right on our doorstep and unafraid. If done correctly hunting can be used to manage predators.

The flip side is when a real severe winter returns to MN and it will, the deer population will drop and one would figure the wolf population would drop a year or two later. That year when deer popultions are way down and wolf populations will remain high will be full of depredation, dog encounters and even human encounters. The wolf population will cycle down via starvation and disease.

I've posted this on other hunting sites as well but since these wolves have obviously no fear of man or dog, every wolf sighting or encounter needs to be followed up by a gunshot. I don't mean shooting directly at them to kill, although thats fine too. They need to know if they hear a person or a dog beeper, it means danger, not dinner.

Brittman where did you get the info on the DNR, I was unhappy to hear they let some go just north of me 15 miles. I think the population should be 0. Coyotes are bad enough. This whole plan was stupid of them to begin with. If they want deer down all they need is management tags Given away. This wolf thing is going to get worse. History tells us that and the people back in the day got rid of them for a reason. Keep the dam things in Yellowstone.

I would rather see more Moose and Elk in MN to have a better chance at hunting one of them Fair Chase.

Matt,

Watch what you say...I grew up in Nymore, until my Dad got a job.

I didn't plan to start a wolf debate with posting this. The same thing could have happen with a bear as far as I'm concerned. I just want hunters to be away there is danger around the corner.

I happened to walk into a juvenile wolf pack feeding frenzy and the they were in the zone. There was a 7 second window where I thought my dog was toast. There was a 1 second window where I thought I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was 15 feet of ground zero with an empty gun.

My Dog has lost 10 lbs incident so I took here in this morning. She has an infection in her ear wound and Anaplasmosis.

+1

I think they are cool as heck too. However, I wouldn't hesitate one minute to put lead in one if I, someone else, or my pet was under attack or imminent danger. I think I would pretty much skip the warning shot, as well.

Glad to hear your dog is ok!

The above would mean that (outside of hunters) everyone walking, running or biking the many trails around the Itasca State Park would have to be armed should they encounter a wolf or wolves that do not run at the sight, sound or smell of a human. When these encounters of wolves not being "afraid" and being within yards of people become more frequent the need for a wolf season or a rethinking of wolf reintroduction programs should be addressed. I just hope it does not take a tragedy to prompt action.

Matt,

Watch what you say...I grew up in Nymore, until my Dad got a job.

I didn't plan to start a wolf debate with posting this. The same thing could have happen with a bear as far as I'm concerned. I just want hunters to be away there is danger around the corner.

I happened to walk into a juvenile wolf pack feeding frenzy and the they were in the zone. There was a 7 second window where I thought my dog was toast. There was a 1 second window where I thought I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was 15 feet of ground zero with an empty gun.

My Dog has lost 10 lbs incident so I took here in this morning. She has an infection in her ear wound and Anaplasmosis.

I am truly glad that you are ok and your dog is ok as well. I for one am doubtful that the same could have happened with a bear, bears have been in Minnesota longer than the wolf and with a bear season, the number of bear incidents do not even come close to the wolf incidents. Bears may be classified a predators just like a wolf, but wolves are certainly wired differently and are way more aggressive.

Bears will do anything they can to get some distance from a dog. Bear hounds have to catch one on the ground to get one to fight, and then it's self defense.

Wolves are the opposite. As I said, the attack you described was no chance encounter.They will seek out, confront and attempt to kill any dog they detect in their area. That is why hounds are particularly vulnerable. Open trailing hounds on a track will bring any wolves within hearing distance like a dinner bell.

Nope I used to run night hunts, we never had guns ever. The coon are not shot just treed. And you are usually quite a ways from the dog, they have to stay treed for 5 minutes before you can go in. Rules. So wolves could have allot of time to harm a hound.

I am aware of that incident. The hunt was near Foston. That was a really nice Walker Hound that was killed. These are not chance encounters, wolves will seek out and try to kill any dog in their range. And with wolf density this high it is hard to find a spot in Northern MN that is not within ear shot of a wolf.

I think anyone who sees a wolf and is holding a gun should put the fear of god in them and teach them to really fear humans by putting a shot very near them. Yea I know they were here first, were encroaching on there turf bla bla bla I think they need to REALLY fear man and run the other way if they so much as think a man is near. The story of the wolf walking around the deer stand and looking up at the hunter in the tree if it were me that wolf would have a peirced ear about the size of a 300 win mag slug. Open a season on them and all the bold ones will be gone, that would cut down on dog and livestock killings.