• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Taxidermy prep...

cupper

Ok, so I was wondering what is the protocal for what to do when you get a deer and decide you want a mount done. I have never gotten one big enough to put on the wall, but I am hoping that changes soon smile. What are the do's and don'ts after the harvest to make sure and preserve the deer properly for some taxidermy work?

Thanks!

First dont cut all the way up the brisket when you gut it

hang it by the legs or antlers not the neck

I like to get it to the taxidemist as quick as I can. If you leave it sit too long the hair might slip on you

Let the taxidermist cape it out for you.

I am suere someone else can add more

Do not hang it from the antlers or neck. It should be hung by the back legs. Hanging it anywhere on the head or neck will stretch the skin and may cause hair slippage when it is tanned. Cut the hide six inches behind the legs around the chest of the deer and you will have plenty. You should be able to continue skinning down th eneck without having to cut the back of the neck. When skinning the legs, make sure to cut the back side of the legs. Leave the skull and antlers on the hide and let the taxidermist handle that part. The lease amount of cuts the better.

I give them the whole cape that way there is no questions. Also, when skinning the front legs I cut down the inside part of the leg basically splitting the armpit in half. Then you skin around the front of the shoulder.

Another thing not to do is leave it laying on the ground. Hang them from their hind legs and cape it as soon as possible. My taxidermist had to reject a few deer last year because the person didn't hang them quick enough. the side of the neck that was on the ground started to spoil because there wasn't enough air circulating and cooling that part. Also if you can put it on an ATV up and off the ground when getting it out helps a lot too.

If you can't get it to a taxi right away wrap it up in a blanket or something not plastic and get him into a large freezer.

DO NOT wrap it in a blanket.. a blanket will insulate it when you put it in the freezer, therefore may cause it to stay warm longer and bacteria will set in and will cause hair slippage. a large garbage bag works fine, as long as it will not be in the freezer for years on end or if it isn't in a frost free freezer otherwise it will become dried out/freezer burnt

Yep, good advice. For some critters that are taken a long ways from a vehicle, like the muleys and elk I've shot, much of the advice won't work. You'll have to cape the critter out yourself. It's honestly not too hard- just do a quick internet search and you'll find that it's mostly common sense.

With most whitetails, the advice above will be sure to cover your backside- let the taxi do it. Get it to him within 24 hours or get the while thing in a freezer pronto.

Caping is really quite easy. As has already been mentioned, when gutting the deer, don't cut up the rib cage to the briskit at all, leave that intact. Hang it by its hind legs and start to skin with a knife, as one normally would. When you get to the rib cage where the hide comes back together, go very slow, take your time, and be sure not to knick the hide when rolling it down. It will help if you cut the front legs off as it will be easier to roll the hide off of them and you won't have them bunching up the hide as it rolls down. I try and skin it as close toe the base of the skull as possible, but thats just what I like to do. Then, cut the head off, lay out the whole cape, and I cut the back half off, fold it up, put it in a garbage bag, and stick it in the freezer.