• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The waiting game. Ugh!!!

koonie

I shot a nice buck at about 10 to 6 tonight. Waited 20 minutes and went and found my arrow. Didn't feel comfortable tracking in the dark so I backed out.

I think I made a good hit but it happened so fast. My issue is I only got 9 inches of penetration(rage). The blood on the arrow looked somewhat bright but no bubbles. It looked like it was creamy!?!? Not sure what to think.

I had another hunter about 100 yards away(could hear him rattling and grunting). When I got back to my truck there was a note on the window. It said "Way to "bleep" up! Nice miss! Well I know I didn't miss so... I'm wondering if the deer actually bumped another that ran past him or since I didn't get much penetration it wound up running past him. I've got four guys to help me track tomorrow. Praying for a short job. UGH!!

Nine inches of penatration I would guess you got into the vitals. Bright blood is good to have but not sure about what the creamie stuff means. None the less who cares what the other guy says next time you can show him a pic of the buck you shot the night he left to early

sorry the other hunter couldn't be pro active for our sport

I guess his daddy didn't teach him manners.

But anyway at 100 yards I can hear a bow being shot. And if I'm hunting and hear that kind of sound , I get on high alert and get ready just in case that animal runs my way.

be patient and do what you have to for your recovery.

Good luck man.

Good luck on the recovery in the morning boys cant wait to see the pics you did the right thing by backing out. 9 inches of penetration is enough to get into the vitals. The creamy stuff on the arrow is most likely tallow it will be really greasy when it's wet the normally comes from 3 spots on a deer high back low under the chest and in front towards the brisket. My biggest bow buck I got about 9 inches of penetration went through the top of the shoulder never went through the ribs on the other side he only made it 60 yards and piled up.

Good luck on the recovery in the morning boys cant wait to see the pics you did the right thing by backing out. 9 inches of penetration is enough to get into the vitals. The creamy stuff on the arrow is most likely tallow it will be really greasy when it's wet the normally comes from 3 spots on a deer high back low under the chest and in front towards the brisket. My biggest bow buck I got about 9 inches of penetration went through the top of the shoulder never went through the ribs on the other side he only made it 60 yards and piled up.

It wasn't tallow at all actually. Pure blood, no fat, bone or meat. Maybe the consistency of the blood changed while I waited. I just don't know. Leaving in a few minutes to track him down.

We searched for 3 hours this morning. Found blood but not a lot. We tracked him for a long way and then I had to get to work(3 hours late). From the blood we found it seems like I hit him high. I'm going out to look again in the morning and the afternoon after work.