• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

5 Magic Days

R. Miller

I will be out there every night and a couple full day sits in the middle of the week! There are about to be a lot of great stories on the site soon from everyone!! Cant wait to hear them all and i hope i have a good one to share as well!!

Next week I will bow hunt for 5 days. Then each week following for 3-4 days in North Dakota.

Last week I noticed an increase in the buck's movement and an increase in scrape activity.

From past years expierence, I believe where we hunt the so called full rut will not happen until approx from the 6th to the 12th of Nov. Still a week plus away.

Now thats a dandy buck above in the pic. Good luck on harvesting him.

I just moved my stand again. And this time I'm looking to targeting a specific buck. Might be the one I had an encouter with last year, don't know for sure. I found the scrape run, pretty much the same as last year. Then located a tree near one of the scrapes with both cover for me so I'm not sillouhetted against a blue sky and wide open shooting lanes. I made a mock scrape, and hung a dripper over it. I'm gonna let it set for a few days and start taking a couple days toward the end of the week or early next week. When I set up, Tink's Miss November is going to be positined just off the run in full sight. Hopefully, the buck says "finally, there she is" and diverts his attention just long enough for me to get a clean release off. Of course, this scenario hasn't played out yet. I've never hunted with a mock scrape or decoy before. We'll see how it works. Come on rut!

So What did Outdoor life call The 5 magical days. Just curious if they are going off of the daylight time or if they were referring to the days prior to the full moon coming up here in a couple weeks?

The 5 mgic days just referred to bowhunting the beginning of the rut before gun opener on the 6th. Bowhunters in MN have a short period of time to hunt the rut before gun season compared to other states....that was basically the article....I'll be sitting a few days mid to late week. Can't wait!

I'm up in southern Manitoba right now, and will be starting a 5 day bow hunt at sunrise tomorrow. My guide hunted yesterday and had minor bucks chasing does. Another friend hunting the metro yesterday saw exactly the same thing.

My guide thinks it's going to kick off Wednesday or Thursday based on records from past years, and of course the weather. Apparently, only 2% of does are bred by Halloween, and the big boys are probably locked up with those right now. But in a few days a whole lot of other does are going to go into estrous, and then the game is fully on.

Good luck fellas!

I saw three bucks chasing does this morning and 2 more tonight chasing. Not the all out sprint throughout the woods as the full on rut has but it's a start. Hopefully going to get out for a few evening sits this week after work and see how things progress. Hung a new stand today on a huge intersection of trails. One trail coming from a winter rye or alfalfa field(not sure what it is) and the other trail leads to cut corn. There are two bedding areas to the north and northeast. Wind should not be an issue unless we get a wind out of the south or southwest. There are also scrapes up and down these trails. I am excited to see what is making them!