• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Buck Question

Twins 57 Fan

You can try a mock scrape, or wait until the rut starts. Aside from that, there isn't much you can do. When the rut hits, try and get in his area and call, if does are around, sit tight and wait, he might follow. I know its not the best info, but I don't know of alot of other options. How much time will you have to hunt him?

If it were me, I would just stay out of the area for a couple more weeks. I know it's hard when you have him on camera but he will start moving during daylight hours once the chase phase and pre-rut activity hits.

Wait at least another week to 10 days, then hit the area

I originally said a couple weeks, but wannafish2 is right. Next weekend (Oct 23rd) is a full moon. This is going to be a great time to catch him roaming between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm. I have a stand that I'm just itching to get into that usually has some big boys hanging around. I haven't been near it for a few weeks now, but I will be there on the 23rd pending a good wind.

Thanks for the info guys. Luckily for me I am out of town this weekend, And because I am a teacher I have conferences on Tuesday night of next week. That should help keep me out of the woods.

96trigger I live a half a mile away from this spot so I can hunt him any evening all week and weekend mornings.

Would it pay to get one of those dripper bags?

Some swear by those dripper bags, I have never used one. I find does before the rut hits and really try and narrow down where they are coming and going. When the rut hits, if the does are still coming a going a buck will be close by. If you can get out as much as possible in 10 days as has been said, you should be just fine.

I don't know how much I would back off. If you can get in and out of the area without tramping all over the place, I would not hesitate to get in there. He is going to come out of hiding when the rut starts. It should be noted that this is also if you have multiple stands so you can sit in different areas. If you only have one stand, then I would do what others are suggesting and wait until the right time. I have an area where there is a stand that I know could produce a nice buck, I have not sat in it yet this year, I am waiting for just the right time and wind, you might be wise to do the same.

Less is sometimes more, so I would go as far as a mock scrape, slap up a camera and get the heck out of there for over a week or more. The more intrusive you are to his home area the more they learn about you and your presents....just my .02.

Some stands I only use two times over a two week period and ONLY if the wind is perfect. I am a big believer in the feeding windows or game movement times that I have on my fishing calendar. Last year the two weeks before rifle season I had a buck or some kind of deer on my camera checking a licking branch and scrape consistantly during that two hour window. Those deer were moving in mid day when those times were present.

mr

I agree with the others, wait until the rut or pre-rut starts to kick in and hope to catch him on his feet. Night pics of big bucks can sometimes be a nightmare, you know he is in the area but he only shows up at night. If you aren't getting pics close to sunset or sunrise or daytime pics you are part of his home range but maybe not close enough to his bedding or core area which can make him difficult to hunt outside the rut. Good luck.

I'd pick your spots though, you'd hate to be giving it a couple weeks and realize you already missed your chance there he is on Tcam about 6ish on a night you could've went, don't let it the chance pass you by, I'd wait for the next good weather change you could hunt that would coincide with that hour or 2 before dark or even a change in weather that may happen after dark and if all else fails do what Mr. Klean with the freaky icon said to do lol. I'd forget that drip bag, you'd already own one if you had faith in it, just patience persistence and a couple stands for options in that area to use the wind and don't skip a good rainy hunt, I have seen some monsters for some reason moving in the rain generally while I'm hunting geese, not sure why just observations from being out there.

Forgot to add is this the only shootable one on film ? Could another bruiser move into your area ? Could things change as crops are harvested ? 2 years ago had many nice bucks on camera, little did I know I'd take a 14pter that never was on my trailcam and he was maybe 40 yards from it when I shot, after checking the camera again he was not on it and the next buck I saw after dressing that one out wasn't on it either, go figure. The ones on it I never saw lol, crazy.

I also go by the "less is more" theory. A couple of years ago I bagged a big 9 pointer on my first time out and it was Oct 12. I was going to hunt tonight for the first time this year but now with the wind I'm going to wait.

I know you can't get a deer if you aren't out there. However, if you are looking for a particular big boy I think you are better off going out during optimal conditions.

Always a good idea.

I would agree give it a little time & be very judicious about how many times you plan to hunt it.

I've got a stand, in fact the one I shot my 11 pointer out of last year, that I haven't touched yet. Didn't sit in it last year until the Wed night & Friday morning before gun season. I'm going to leave it until I get the right wind, sometime in that last two weeks before gun season. Unless the night just feels right sometime shortly before that.

I actually have several stands that I've not touched, some of that's due to being busy & hunting in both WY & WI since bow opener. I've learned not to be in a hurry to sit them all. Some I may not hunt at all, just depends on weather & what I'm seeing where, when I do hunt. Having said that I used to hit them all a lot until I figured that stuff out.

I actually have several stands that I've not touched, some of that's due to being busy & hunting in both WY & WI since bow opener. I've learned not to be in a hurry to sit them all. Some I may not hunt at all, just depends on weather & what I'm seeing where, when I do hunt. Having said that I used to hit them all a lot until I figured that stuff out.

Good points bigbucks. I too have at least a half a dozen spots I am saving for late Oct. Most of my stand locations I only hunt 1 or 2 times a year, maybe 3 times if the stars align. Needless to say I have a lot of places scouted out but I believe over hunting an area is the #1 reason many bucks die of old age. Going scent free helps but any time you go into a stand there is a very good chance that deer knows you were there, either from you scent or he see's or hears you coming and going.