• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tresspassers

how many ppl are getting the occasional tresspasser coming through. Just went and picked up the trail camera and found a guy walking through the woods and pointing at my stand and looking at trails. hit 4 of my cameras in the woods. Never took anything atleast thank god. but now makes me think how easy it would of been for him to take alot of the stuff, and whether or not to just use a climbing stand and pull the cameras

Many of them do it even when they see the sign. I can't believe your cameras never got stolen. Maybe they didn't see it. Half the time I think they take the cameras because they know they are trespassing and don't want to get in trouble.

yeah consider yourself very lucky you have cameras and your stands are still there, most would take them. We have a snowmobile trail that runs though out woods and people think just because we have that its free range of our woods

Not only do they walk by NT signs, some tear them down and heck, we had one that even used a bolt cutter and cut through the chain that was locked around the fence post.

We have a NT sign by a closed road on PRIVATE PROPERTY and the NT sign is approx 2'x4'. Its nothing to see people drive up to it, get out and open the gate and then drive through and not even bother to close the gate.

There is nothing that some will do to trepass. Then some wonder why land owners will not allow ANYONE TO HUNT.

No trespassing signs only keep the honest people out. I at times wonder why one puts thwem up as the honest sportsman always ask and the others will go in with or without the signs.

End of my rant on trespassers.

On the farm I was recently granted permission to hunt, the owner told me is happy to have me down there because of the fact that I can help him watch for trespassers alone. I have his number on my mobile and I am to call him the moment anyone who doesnt have permission to hunts. He's had to take down numerous stands placed by trespassers.

And the people that cross barb wire fence(s), cross a huge picked crop field and when you question them they say "I did not realize that fence meant anything"

AHHHH Property lines......duh

What did you mean that chain link fence surrounding your hose meant something?

"Here's your sign"!! - Sorry for the Bill Engvall Quote, no pun intended.

I never did understand the point of no tresspassing signs other than to mark boundries. If it's not your land and you don't have permission to be there, GET OUT, YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE. If you're not sure where the property lines are, ASK the landowner or look in the plat book. If you think you might be trsspassing, chances are you ARE.

What I love are people who come down our quarter mile long driveway and hang out in our woods. They're not hunting, mind you, mostly teenagers hiking and drinking the occassional beer (evidence left by the empty cans). But they think its ok because its the country. Do I walk up to your front yard in town and mill about in it, drinking a beer? Nope. Same thing, period.

When confronted my trespassers always have a come back, well I think we hit a deer and he went in there so we were just checking for blood as 2 posters stand on the end of the creek bottom that they are pushing, sure makes for a fun evening sit when your land has been driven out, makes me wonder some years why nothing is around or coming out before dark, has it already been driven ? Do I have to guard it like a Canadian Mounty. Behind the house this weekend in mud, big old human boot track so now I'm wondering is there a portable in there or is someone bow hunting my ladder stand on occassion or what.

This probably isn't the safest/most diplomatic approach, but when my old man sees trespassers he is VERY direct and blunt with them about what they are doing and where they need to go. Best part is, they tresspass from state land and they park their vehicles about 300 yds from my parents driveway. After a verbal warning, any following tresspasser ends up driving into town on 4 flat tires. After 4 flat tires and some bent rims, they often decide that a second weekend trip to the area is too expensive.

Again, I'm not condoning this but it is effective.

I hear that Cupper, it just really gets old after awhile and year after year, here's one for you. Neighbor lets me rifle/muzzleload, another group of 4 have permission to have field stands, the moment I leave the swamp these guys organize, call in more recruits, and drive it out ASAP, since they have "field" permission they have access to the land and last year I confronted them and asked why can't you wait until the last day of season and talk to me and I'd say no problem, but no and they admitted they drove it out opening day, I had a huge 10 pointer on my trailcam there in mid-october and was certainly waiting for a chance or not at him, they tell me yeah well we drove out a doe and a huge buck, he ran across the road and these other guys got him, my heart just sunk, not that I would've got him but he was definitely using the swamp I was hunting, here I thought he could be miles away, no he was less than 1/2 mile away for sure as this swamp is about 90acres surrounded by open field. Then the last weekend they were man u didn't hunt in there much after opening day, are people that dumb, sure another big buck could've moved in, but my trailcam showed 1 shootable and the other bucks weren't. Anyway, good luck with the rule breakers this fall guys.

Forgot to add once they drive it out they usually go hunt other land in the area, saving that for themselves so to speak, burning them off where I can go, of course the farmer can't see the land from his farm and he always said you have the say when it comes to the swamp, do I want to start a big stink not really, think these guys got the hint last year, I'll find out in 25 moons.

A guy at work recently told me how someone posted the Potlatch land he leases for $1,000 plus each year. He only rifle hunts it but a bowhunter he grants permission to delivered the report.

When confronted, the adjacent landowner basically admitted what he did. Then he said that things used to be a lot different before Potlatch began leasing its own land. So apparently, once public, always public in some people's minds.

Man you guys are making me thankful for hunting some of the public land up north. There probably aren't as many deer and a lot of wolves but I often have 100's of acres up to multiple square miles of land to myself depending on which stand I hunt. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone.

Just got back from a woods I only have persmission for, since I have not been seeing the deer I normally see, I went to make some moves to some better sign.

As I am up in the tree hanging a stand I catch a brief glance of some orange moving through, it was a couple of dogs. So I get down and confront the gentlemen and he says he's from town and likes walking through the woods. Been doing it most of the year in the middle of the afternoon he says. In the same conversation he tells me where each and every stand of mine are and where my camera's were. Any guess why I have not been seeing the deer I normally see?

Holy Cow batman he must have walked every inch of the woods. He also told me where others have stands in the so-called private woods.

Another proven example of fencelines and signs do NO GOOD for most people.

it was a couple of dogs

I hunted a small piece of private last year that usually holds a lot of deer. The owners walk on the trails a lot and never bothered the deer in the past so I was wondering why I wasn't at least seeing does and fawns. Then one hunt I see two neighbor dogs running all over the place having a great time. I threw a stick at one of them and moved on to another spot.

Just got back from a woods I only have persmission for, since I have not been seeing the deer I normally see, I went to make some moves to some better sign.

As I am up in the tree hanging a stand I catch a brief glance of some orange moving through, it was a couple of dogs. So I get down and confront the gentlemen and he says he's from town and likes walking through the woods. Been doing it most of the year in the middle of the afternoon he says. In the same conversation he tells me where each and every stand of mine are and where my camera's were. Any guess why I have not been seeing the deer I normally see?

Holy Cow batman he must have walked every inch of the woods. He also told me where others have stands in the so-called private woods.

Another proven example of fencelines and signs do NO GOOD for most people.

What did you say to him? did you ask if he had permission or anything about him scaring deer off?

It would be nice if the Tresspass law was strengthened. I bow hunted elk in Colorado. We were hunting near private land. Some hunters from Denver tresspassed and were caught (fortunately). They were looking at a three year ban on hunting. Colorado has a point system for violations. If you accumulate a certain number of points, you can lose your hunting privileges. Tresspassing is more points than poaching an elk.

This probably isn't the safest/most diplomatic approach, but when my old man sees trespassers he is VERY direct and blunt with them about what they are doing and where they need to go. Best part is, they tresspass from state land and they park their vehicles about 300 yds from my parents driveway. After a verbal warning, any following tresspasser ends up driving into town on 4 flat tires. After 4 flat tires and some bent rims, they often decide that a second weekend trip to the area is too expensive.

Again, I'm not condoning this but it is effective.

I agree that may chase them away but if caught, you might be buying those ppl new tires and rims.

I never did understand the point of no tresspassing signs other than to mark boundries. If it's not your land and you don't have permission to be there, GET OUT, YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE. If you're not sure where the property lines are, ASK the landowner or look in the plat book. If you think you might be trsspassing, chances are you ARE.

I agree 100% but here is what I believe is part oof the issue.

With so much land posted, after asking 4-6 times at different places, they simply trespass. I do not think that is right but zI do believe it is part of the problem and it is aonly going to get worse.

Posting only keeps out the honest ppl. The others will come on the property no matter what.

The penatlies are simply not high enough.

Harvey is completely correct. The penalties are not nearly stiff enough, and most of these jerk-baits see them as more of a guideline than a law. For all the people that pay the money for land (whether it is bought or leased), there are far too many others that think that all land is theirs. I have hunted the same stretch of land for 25+ years and everyone in the area knows who the land belongs to and it is posted every year, yet there have still been numerous occasions when people think that we aren't around and try to sneak in and hunt. When confronted, the answer is always the same "we didn't think that the signs were for us, we thought they were for outsiders". Has anyone else ever seen a NO HUNTING WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION EXCEPT YOU CAN sign? Is it the "Minnesota Nice" that makes people think that this is acceptable or what? It doesn't fly in other states. On the Pheasant/Upland Forum there is a similar thread, and some of the posts give me the feeling that it is the landowners responsiblity to be the police, rather than the signs being enough to exert their property owner rights. It makes me believe that these are some of the same individuals that believe that the rules don't apply to them.