• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterfowl Reports

If you plan on heading out to western mn for duck opener be prepared for extremely high water. We were out scouting a month ago on Marsh and the north end of LQP and the water was higher than I've ever seen it that time of year. I do know it has went up since then as well.

If you are not in a boat and have a spot out there that you normally hunt from the cattails and throw some decoys out you probably want to get out and check it out before opening morning. It's deep and it could be dangerous if you're not ready for it.

Yeah I was was a little harsh. The river is seriously full of Honkers right now...I have not been able to scout to see where they are going but a river hunt might be a fun one the week of opener!

If you plan on heading out to western mn for duck opener be prepared for extremely high water. We were out scouting a month ago on Marsh and the north end of LQP and the water was higher than I've ever seen it that time of year. I do know it has went up since then as well.

If you are not in a boat and have a spot out there that you normally hunt from the cattails and throw some decoys out you probably want to get out and check it out before opening morning. It's deep and it could be dangerous if you're not ready for it.

The boat ramp at twin bridges on hwy 119 is still very flooded out. water isn't going down anytime soon. Still flooding way up to Browns Valley and all that water has to get through bigstone and marsh yet.

Not sure if I am seeing more because I am excited the season is right around the corner or not, but down here in the Scott County area I am seeing a lot more duck movement in the late evening. Not sure if the local ducks are just moving more with the subtle changes in the seasons happening or not, or, if the teal are starting to make their southern trek.

Been seeing ducks on most of the areas I have scouted, and tons of woodies hanging out. Geese are starting to move into the newly cut fields and have noticed some flocks cruising around more.

Probably just me!

Saw a cpl nice flocks of mallards flying around near sunset this evening.... Nice to see em starting to flock up! Can't wait for the season! I'm really liking the new regs. I think they did a great job trying to accommodate everyone...

Wish they would have stuck to 1 hen mallard but I like the 3 woodies and the layout of the season!

I have seen the same thing Elwood but not as many teal. I am going down South to Louisiana in 2 weeks for there early season teal and hunt there for 5 days. I let you know how it goes--first time for early teal season--been hunting big duck down here for the last 5-6 years after our season is over b/c I didn't want to stop hunting. One of these days during the season, we should go on a hunt together Elwood--I'm in zimmtown too.

A few days ago I saw a lot of geese feeding early in the morning along 101 in rogers/otsego in the cut wheat feild.

I have been down on the minnesota river scouting for ducks for the youth opener and i have to say that I am seeing alot more wood ducks than I have seen the past couple seasons. I have seen a few teal but not to many, If the woodducks continue to hang out through youth season and the opener, should be in for some good shootin

Here's my Nodak report for you guys: there's ducks here grin

No, seriously, should be a good year for numbers. However (and this is a biggie) all the water could make pinpointing birds difficult. In fact, you may not experience "more birds" when hunting simply for the fact that they will be so spread out.

I predict many people running traffic this year. Find yourself a juicy looking slough, set up some dekes, and spend the day out there scratching birds. If you play the weather and chose your days (and put in some decent time scouting) you ought to have a grand time.

Mark my words: this could be the end of an era. I know lots of you don't like the "doom and gloom" outlook of habitat, but I will testify that there is a lot less CRP than in the past. Non-farmed marginal land is what ducks, geese, upland birds and deer NEED to survive and thrive. So get out there and enjoy the bounty while you can. If we don't see a reversal of attitude toward the "farm every square inch of land" mentality, and if we don't see the state and federal government putting more incentive to farmers to stop farming those lands, the "good-ol-days of hunting" may already be behind us...

Food for thought...

Seeing lots of geese up by bemidji feilds are full just hard getting permission... Then was down in buffalo a week ago seen a couple hundred only like 40 in my feild but whatever duck and goose numbers look better this year since awhile.

I couldn't find that in the Nodak laws but this is what the season reads

Open Area: Statewide

Opens: August 13 Closes: September 15 (Except in Missouri River Zone)

Daily Limit: 8

Possession Limit: 16

Shooting Hours: 30 minutes before sunrise to sunset

Missouri River Canada Goose Zone

Open Area: See map below

Opens: August 13 Closes: September 7

Daily Limit: 8

Possession Limit: 16

Shooting Hours: 30 minutes before sunrise to sunset

Im with carpshooter. I bet he went to wisconsin. I also went out on friday, only managed to get 4. Woulda been a pretty special hunt if we coulda hunted thursday though. Two groups didnt ask the landowner went out and both shot limits, which put the birds a lil on edge.