• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow stand log

Archerysniper

Hunted last night in WI. Deer were moving with the incoming weather. Saw 2 bucks(1 spike, 1 6 or 8, didn't get a good look), 2 does from the stand and deer all over the road on the way home.

Shot one of the does shortly before sundown. Pulled out and came back at 10pm. Tracked for two hours, blood was spotty and eventually I called it and came back this morning. She had gone a total of about 200 yards after being lung shot, and did not drop much blood. Coyotes found her first and ate most of her back legs, backstraps, and some guts. Frustrating. Think I may have lost some confidence in Muzzy broadheads...

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's too bad. Were you able to tell where you hit her on the carcass? Unless you were confident of a solid lung hit, you did the right thing backing out. Too bad the 'yotes beat you to her. I'm not sure if I'd blame the broadhead though, Muzzy's are about as dependable as they come. Shake it off and wrap a tag on the next one.

Sat all day Yesterday (Thursday) with a youth. we ended up seeing only 2 deer. Walking out, kicked up plenty of deer as we could hear them blow at us from a meadow on the other side of the bluff. The full moon right now is so bright, they are really active at night. I was surprised with the wind being so strong on Wednesday that they weren't feeding a little later and that they were already in thier ding area that early. We were calling pretty aggressively with the grunt tube ratte bag. About 9:00 we heard one big crack. The kid looks at me and says "fight", right after he says it, we hear a couple of snort wheezes going up the other side of the bluff. We never saw either buck, but tend to believe it was a bigger buck chasing away a smaller one, as there was no sparring, just one BIG hit. Walking out we had a doe at 40 yards start feeding in front of us. Told him it was his choice if he wanted it, but he is waiting for a nice buck, she fed in front of us for 40 minutes as we just stood there and watched. We finally had to wave and whistle to get her to move and she trotted off. Moved ot a different farm for the afternoon and evening. Had about a half mile wheeler ride to the stand. Never saw one deer on stand. On the way out to the wheeler we got to the field and saw a buck emerge from the wheeler trail. On the way back, 3 new fresh scrapes on the wheeler trail. Had we just been off the trail, probably would have had a nice shot during shooting hours as he left the woods just at dusk. Too dark to see how big his rack was, but he was a big bodied deer. I am in for an all day sit today, babysitting that is. Probably won't get out again until maybe Saturday night. The wheels of the rut are turning, but they are slow. More prerut, scrape, rub activity, but not alot of chasing yet.

Good to hear guys - keep the updates coming. I sat last night with the video camera. Beautiful evening. Combine picking the rest of the corn on one side, still standing on the other. Figured some deer would be pushed into the timber but I didn't see anything... nothing on the cam either.

Keep the reports coming! All i've been able to do is read about hunting.( fell last week while fishing, and buggered up my shoulder. Managed to pull my bow back once yesturday!) Hopefully monday i can get back at it!

Went out and got on stand by 615 a.m. Saw a doe and a fork on the drive to my hunting spot and a car that had just hit a deer. Got on stand, rattled early, nothing, rattled again about 8 had an 8 point at about 70 yards checking out the area, 2 does later in the morning in roughly the same area. Hopefully the cold weather coming in will kickstart things a bit!

Tunrevir~

Hunted last evening and didn't see anything until I got down from my stand. The beanfield across the road was loaded with deer--more than I've seen at any time this fall. So I sat and watched them until I could quietly sneak across the road and back to my car. Last weekend they moved earlier when it was overcast, so I'm hoping to try again this evening and check out the field from the other end. With the rain this morning and the full moon last night, it was easy to make the decision not to go out this morning.

Went out this morning at 6:30. At 7:50 I saw two does on the neighboring field, they hung out and fed for ten minutes and headed back in to the woods. At 8:30 a small four pointer came underneath me. I passed and as he walked away I tried different calls on him. He responded to a bleat, but ignored grunts and rattling. The deer are finally moving by me. The rut is close!

I hit the stand until about 9 this morning. No deer again. Checked the camera. Lots of pictures at night but i now realize the flash on my camera is broke. Surprisingly i had pictures of 3 young bucks during daylight on the camera and all 3 were feeding in the picked beans around 11 am on different days. I then went and hung a slug stand on another property in a light rain. Seemed like a good time to do it until i jumped a big boy in the set aside along the woods. Again on this property, alot of rubs and scrapes. I have a stand on a water hole there that im going to sit tomorrow am and pm.

On a better note my friend shot a nice 8 pointer last night. I'd guess about 110". It was a nice first buck with his bow. He heard it working below him in the brush and let out 2 soft grunts and the buck came right i

Saw two small bucks going at it pretty good for about 20 minutes last night.

One of those bucks came back this morning. Also had about a dozen big toms right in front of me. I had a turkey tag in my pocket, but too many eyes for that to play out. Pretty cool though. I'll have the shotgun in there one of these days...

Went out this morning, calmer than calm when I got into the stand, about ten minutes later the wind picked up and I mean up into the 30mph range. Swirling and everything, so I moved the stand to a little better spot 75 yards away where I found a decent rub. I got out after setting up that stand. I knew I wasn't going to see much when I saw 17 deer on the way there, the last three were small bucks, spooked one walking in. I HATE WIND!

Was in the stand at 2:30 and at 3:00 had a small 8 point heading to the corn. I thought that was a good sign as the scrapes have been popping up all over. Saw another small buck an hour later and then a fawn at end of day. Weired being cold tonight when it's 50 but the dewpoint was so high it was real damp and chilly. Trying again in the morning.

Friday night and Saturday morning yielded no deer from the stand fro me or my wife, but when we left Friday night there was a Doe and a fawn heading to her stand down a fence line as we were leaving.

After sitting in rain for about 1.5 hours this morning, I went for a drive and seen a really nice doe and a huge Buck out walking around about 10'ish.

tonight was a weird night for me. The spot I usually go was being hunted by the farmers brothers (they have priority over me). So i went to my back up spot. When i got there i noticed all the fields were tilled so hunting them was pretty much worthless. There goes my backup plan.

After re grouping, i decide today would be a good day to still hunt the valleys between the fields since it was windy. that worked pretty well. I almost stepped on a fawn, and i kicked up a doe just before that. After a while, i got tired of that kind of hunting so i found a ladder stand that had never produced anything. it was my only option, so i gave it a try. about 10 minutes in the stand, i rattled a little bit. i gave it a bit, and had 2 does walk by at about 60 yards. one was a big doe, so i climbed down and tried to stalk them for a shot.

on the stalk i got within about 40 yards. I had to get about 10 more yards to be comfortable with the shot so i stepped over a log and the little doe looked right at me. I froze, than right there, a sparrow flew out of the tree next to me and flew straight into my chest. I was stunned so i moved and before i knew it, both does were gone. That ended my night. Not how i pictured that stalk ending. It was a fun night and today will be my last day till gun season i think.

Quote:
It was a fun night and today will be my last day till gun season i think.

WHAT??? Please tell me you have something big going on......So big that you can't under any circumstance make it out to the stand over the next two weeks. Man, things are just starting to pick up.