• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Please Fire Brewster

JBMasterAngler

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still contend that Brewster was a good recruiter. He wasn't great enough to get Michael Floyd, Seantrel Henderson, or any of those to come, but he got some good recruiting classes. His biggest failure was in developing these players into college material. Most of them are still playing at a high school level and THAT'S why we can't even beat our non-conference schedule.

The Gophs looked good for the first series or two against Ohio State, but then the cat stopped playing with the mouse.

The funny thing was listening to WCCO on Sunday morning. They were talking about Glen Mason like he was a god that we never should have let go. Even joked about erecting a statue in his honor. I find it mildly amusing the Minnesota fans would cherish Mason's teams but not Denny Green's Viking teams. They both did the exact same thing: produced solid teams that were good enough to get into the playoffs but not go beyond, usually culminating in a crushing defeat but none-the-less winning seasons. One is talked about in glowing remembrance, one is the butt of all kinds of jokes.

Just a blip on names being thrown around out there for the vacancy:

"In the two-plus weeks since Tim Brewster was canned as Minnesota’s head coach, names such as Randy Shannon, Mike Leach, Mark Mangino, Scott Linehan, Jeff Jagodzinski and Marc Trestman have popped up on reports seeking to identify a list of potential replacements.

Today, you can add arguably the biggest “name” to the unofficial list of candidates.

According to a tweet from Rivals.com‘s Tom Dienhart, former Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer is a name that has emerged in connection to the Gopher vacancy."

The Pioneer Press claims the Gophers have three big names on top of the list: http://www.twincities.com/ci_16511932?nclick_check=1

If this list is right, I can't see Harbaugh, Chris Petersen, and Gary Patterson leaving Stanford, Boise State, or TCU for Minnesota.

For Harbaugh it would be trading down in every sense. The PAC-10/12 is a big name conference equal to the Big Ten, Stanford a more prestigious school than the U, and it has a better football program.

TCU and Boise State are in lesser conferences than the Big Ten, and those schools don't have the academic standing of Minnesota, but their football programs are running on all cylinders. Why leave those situations for the mess in Minneapolis?

In addition, Petersen, Patterson, and Harbaugh can all get better jobs at top programs with better traditions than Minnesota; Georgia and Michigan are two such places that are likely to be hiring soon.

The Gophers are probably going to have to settle for a lesser-known candidate from the assistant coaching ranks, or a head coach from a lower-division school.

I'd say the ONLY one we have a remote chance at is Petersen and that is ONLY IF Boise goes undefeated but gets left out of the National Championship game. But realistically, I don't think any of those 3 even sit down for an interview. They can pick their next job if they want to and I can't imagine MN being "the" one...

Rumor has it the head coach search has been narrowed to:

Brady Hoke, HC at San Diego State

Al Golden, HC at Temple

Troy Calhoun, HC at Air Force

Kevin Sumlin, HC at Houston

Randy Edsall, HC at Connecticut

Maturi just made a trip to San Diego; Rivals says Hoke, along with Golden and Calhoun, are the three finalists.

DO NOT ADD HORTON'S NAME TO THE LIST!!!!!

I can understand how everyone is excited about the gophers finishing the season with 2 wins in a row (against bowl eligible teams), and bringing floyd of rosedale home. This all shows how pathetically poor of a coach brewster was! Horton did a nice job taking over, and motivating the players...but just because brewster sucked so bad, doesn't mean Horton is the answer. He is the coach after all that lost 18 games in a row (including his 1st 3 with the gophers)!

This win will be a good building block for next year. Should be an exciting season...a whole new coaching staff, and no adam weber! A bowl game isn't out of the question.