• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadheads

pikehunter

Oh boy, here we go. You will get a bunch of responses on this question, very few of which will be the same. You're lible to be more confused after this than you are now, but FWIW, I'll throw in my opinion.

The best answer is whichever broadhead flies best out of YOUR set-up. I'd start with a replaceable blade fixed head. There's lots of good ones out there. Thunderhead, Wasp, G5 (my personal choice), Muzzy come immediatly to mind. Try to borrow a few different kinds from your buds and see which flies best for you.

Good luck!

people are going to say fixed blades are best because the gurantee cut on impact 100% of the time..... some will say mechanicals are best because some offer bigger cut diameter and most are more arodynamic so they fly more like fieldpoints..... my opinion is i like mechanicals because i just like how they operate plus they look cool and are fun to tinker with and sometimes offer bigger cut diameter..... i also like fixed blades because they will always cut on impact and some are really cool looking like the NAP Braxe plus the muzzys come in a pack of 6 fixed blades for the same price as 3 mechanicals or less..... its all about what you want or wich one flys best out of your bow, currently im shooting NAP Spitfires because thats what i have from buying my bow used but they do fly like my field tips so im a happy camper

Shooting 55 lbs, my opinion would be to go with a fixed blade vs. expandable. But if you choose expandable I would go with Rage 4ke. And a G5 for fixed. Its a tough choice considering there are so many options, and its really tough to go wrong really, they all will kill a deer

Sharp ones. Really sharp ones.

At 55 lbs I would go with a cut-on-contact, 2 blade broadhead. Something from Magnus or similar would be a good choice.

At 55 lbs, stay away from mechanicals as a mechanical broadhead requires more energy to open and penetrate properly. When you get down in poundage, you start to open the door to a higher rate of failure with mechanicals.

I agree with the really sharp ones comment. :>) 55 is fine for expandables but best to not go more than 1 3/8 inch cut. higher poundage is better when you get wider than that. Magnus Stinger is a dandy 4 blade fixed. I shoot 55 pounds and no problem at all. Also shot many expandables over the years. It might take a little longer to get the flight right on a fixed. Whatever you use just hit the sweetspot and you will be fine. Ton of great broadheads out there on the market. Hopefully you can find a bud or 2 to help you, good luck out there.

chevy vs ford laugh

research online find out the pros and cons i shoot 65 pounds and stay with a fixed Thunderhead 100 killed a few deer and turkeys with it, why change. Figure outs whats best for your setup

Thats what I shoot and what I will tell you to shoot to!!!

Thunderhead 100's for me. 20 years and hopefully another 20. Tried mechanicals but had one freeze on me when I biffed it in the snow. Got my gear warm and the snow melted and left water in the blades. When i went back out to hunt the next day I noticed the blades would not open real easy as the water froze and so did the blades.

Yaa, I know... Don't biff it in the snow and check your gear before going out.

I just thought that could be costly if i was to forget to check it in the same scenario down the road. That said I went with the keep it simple stupid mode and eliminated that bad scenario.

Any fixed blade would do me fine, started with TH so went right back to them with no bad stories.

I dont want to sound like an A-hole but I will anyway. For those who say I shoot a mechanical because they fly like field points. I say get your bow tuned properly and so will a fixed blade. When you are having flite issues with a broadhead its is 99.9% of the time the bow not the head. Back to the subject I personally shoot muzzy's have for 25years tried the rage a few years ago (disaster) if they ever figure out how to make them sharp they mite be better. Last year was my wife's first year bow hunting she shoots 48# 26" draw the pro shop recomended trying the magnus buzz cut said they work great for low poundage. I can honestly say i have never seen a broadhead do what that broadhead did. I took her out opening morning to a ground blind I had set up for her at about 8am a fawn came into view she couldnt get her bow back a few minutes later the doe came in kicked the fawn out of her way. again my wife was struggling to draw her bow on her third or fourth try she finally made it to full draw and of course the doe was now alert that something was up when she let the arrow fly the doe dropped and turned towards us the arrow hit her above the shoulder quartering towards us. You could see 24" of a 26" arrow. my instant thought was oh no. after giving the deer a couple hours we got out and started looking for blood it took me about 30 min to find any blood 75yds later and we were standing over her first deer the arrow had walked its way all the way through the deer and was starting to pertrude out just in front of the right hip. I was and still am amazed I have killed alot of deer with a bow and have never seen such poor initial penatration result in this.

I use different broadheads for different reasons. When I am specifically after a mature buck I will pass on everything else, on those occasions I like the use the Muzzy 3 blade, they are rock solid and nothing can go wrong.

When I am after a doe for meat I like to use the Rage two-blade because of the large holes and short tracking job. I have never had any problems with the Rage but if that once in a lifetime buck steps out I want a Muzzy at the end of my arrow.