• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

World Cup 2010

JimBuck

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait till its over.

This topic is getting more heated than the Cass Lake spearing ban topic. LOL!!

You guys need to travel the world a little bit and leave the state of Minnesota for a short while. I know ya'll are attached to our government but there are some cool things in this world. Duffman posted one of them. grin

I'm not sure how long it will take for Americans to appreciate this sport like the rest of the world but I hope it happens soon. The World Cup is really an awesome event!

I agree. Some people need to do some traveling and gain a little perspective. The post was started for people that enjoy the game to discuss the games and highlights but it seems to have turned into a bunch of negative whining about the sport not being entertaining. If you don't like the sport fine, but nobody wants to listen to a bunch of people whining about why they don't like it.

I may be a minority on this one but I'd rather watch a Soccer game over Football any day of the week. To me, Football is quite boring but it doesn't mean I go into a Football thread and start complaining about why I don't like the sport. If you don't like the sport, give it a rest and go complain about slot limits or the government.

I've been in London and other English pubs during Premiere Cup games, and I gotta say it gets pretty crazy. One of the things that I recall is the singing of songs during games. It was really cool to experience, even for someone like me who has very little knowledge of the game.

I have been around the block, thats why it's so easy to jab at. Lighten up about your girly sport. When they stop wiggling in pain like they pro wrasslin then it might be a little easier to watch. Squirmmin on the ground like a leg just got cut off and then running again 30 seconds later? There is some athletic ability to do what they do, leave no doubt about that. It is just plain hard to watch on TV.

I went to 7 different countries and 3 continents in 1 year, and soccer to me is still very boring. 2 hours watching men kick a ball around and it ends 0-0. Yep, excitement there, I can hardly contain myself. I did watch the women when they won the thingy a few years back, but at the end at least one took her shirt off, that was worth it

I went to 7 different countries and 3 continents in 1 year, and soccer to me is still very boring.

Impossible grin

That opinion is supposed to be reserved for all us poor sheltered non world traveler MN/American rednecks.

Every time the world cup arrived I do give it a shot and watch a little here and there if nothing else is on. I usually end up watching until someone takes a dive, which happens all too often. Even the slow-mo replay shows very little contact but the guy goes flying like he was hit by a truck.

I'm not trying to start any wars with soccer fans but they just have to realize that just because most of the world loves their sport that all of us don't have to. Sorry I'm not a world traveler (at least not yet) but even if I was I highly doubt it would open my eyes enough to become a soccer fan. Lets not be so sensitive, I love plenty of fringe sports that people rip on, I really don't care if no one else likes my fav's or not, I like them and that's all that matters.

I watched the 1st half of that game when it was replayed last night. From what I saw, Spain was quite dominate and seemed to possess the ball most of the 1st half. The swiss goalkeeper had a heck of a game last night too. I love seeing these big upsets.

I know if I was kicked in the leg while running full speed I think I would be floppin too. I saw a dude get kicked in the face the other day. You don't see that in football. But man those kazoo are super annoying. I prefer to watch the World Cup Prime Time recap show. Condenses the whole match down to like 15mins.

Watching soccer still beats watching a bunch of guys driving around in a circle for 4 hours just in order to see who can do it the fastest.

This next statement is directed toward the soccer haters who have been posting.

Not sure why people have to come on here just to complain about the sport. If you don't like it who cares, don't watch it, its easy enough to avoid. You don't need to come in here and bash the sport while some fans are trying to discuss it. You are entitled to your opinion but there are times when your opinion doesn't need to be said. Leave the thread to those who actually want to discuss whats going on in the World Cup. Feel free to start an "I hate the World Cup" thread if you like.

With that said I was in Spain during the last world cup and it was an interesting experience. I was able to watch a few games in local bars with the local fans and the atmosphere is pretty amazing. I've attended some great basketball, football, and baseball games over the years but this atmosphere would make the super bowl look like a tea party. Its hard not to have fun in that situation.

Part of the reason why most people in the US don't go for soccer is because Team USA hasn't given people a reason to care. I would bet anything that if the US starts making a Cinderella run and ends up in the championship game we would see an entirely different attitude throughout the country.

From what I saw, Spain was quite dominate and seemed to possess the ball most of the 1st half. The swiss goalkeeper had a heck of a game last night too. I love seeing these big upsets.

The shots were 24-8 in favor of Spain. Spain also had 12 corner kicks. Talk about weathering a storm. But, this is the reason they play the games.

Plenty of poor calls during the game today. It was nice seeing the US fight back from a 2 goal deficit to tie it up. They scored a 3rd that was called offside which was absurd. They showed a few angles of the goal and their is no doubt in my mind he was on.

Other than that, I think Dempsey had a ball hit him in the face and was issued a yellow card which was one of the many poor calls during the match. This was one of the more enjoyable games I've watched this world cup so far.

Imagine that indeed.

didn't see the Dempsey thing, but Findlay's phantom hand-ball hit him in the face and wasn't even close

there were two other phantom calls that even the brit announcer said were "stupid" or a "injustice"

the disallowed goal was among the worst calls i've ever seen in any sport. no offsides, and there were 3 separate penalty kick-worthy fouls by the Slovs. heck the one guy was bear hugging bradley

I watched the Germany/Serbia game this morning and the announcers were whining about the officiating. I think that one thing FIFA could learn from the NFL is that calling out the officials is a no-no, punishable by fines. Bashing officials almost seems to be a part of the sport and coverage.

The USA got hosed but so have most of the teams, so it comes down to scoring and good defense in the end.