• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hssssssssssssssssss.

Garter Snake. Totally harmless.

I was bit by one between the thumb and index finger several years ago. Somehow the little bugger broke the skin and my hand swelled like a balloon and felt like someone hit it with a sledge hammer.

Are you sure you were bit by a garter snake? We played with them all the time when I was a kid. Here is some info.

garter snake

The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition | 2008 | The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. Copyright 2008 Columbia University Press. (Hide copyright information) Copyright

garter snake harmless snake of the genus Thamnophis, abundant from Canada to Central America. There are many common species; members of most species are about 2 ft (60 cm) long. Most garter snakes are striped or banded lengthwise, and some are spotted between the stripes. Less aquatic as a group than the related water snakes, they are found near water in dry country and are widely distributed in moist regions. They prey on cold-blooded animals, chiefly frogs, toads, small fish, and earthworms. Females bear live young in large litters, sometimes numbering 50 or more. The common garter snake of the NE United States, Thamnophis sirtalis, varies in color and pattern but is usually blackish or brownish with three yellow stripes. The ribbon snake, T. sauritus, is a very slender garter snake that prefers wet places. Garter snakes are classified in the phylum Chordata , subphylum Vertebrata, class Reptilia, order Squamata, family Colubridae

P.S. nice avatar Birdsong! ;>)

The bacteria in the snakes saliva probably caused an infection if it broke the skin. Snakes saliva has lots of nasty bacteria in it and with the infection comes the swelling and throbbing.

This is exactly what I was thinking. As far as the Bull Snakes, there's no comparison between the 2 here. Bull snakes are much larger and are colored way differently than a Garter Snake. Atleast those that I've seen. Even the small Bulls resemble a Diamond Back markings more than a Garter.

Fantastic series. Love the tongue in the first shot.

On your 3rd shot, have you attempted at all to clone out the grass near his eye? I think cleaning up that one blade of grass would really make that photo pop even better than it is now. Just my humble opinion.