• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Riding Lawn Mower to buy?

jparrucci

I recently bought a home with a larger yard than I am used to (.52 acres) and think it is time for a riding mower. Looking at the prices of new ones that are all over a grand, it looks like I am going to be buying a used one. For a newbie with these things, is there any brand or options to stay away from, and what should I look for in a new one. Is a bagger important or not, as I see few come with a bagger and I am used to bagging the grass. I have $600 saved so far, so I won't be looking to spend much more than that at this point for a used one.

For a used rider, looking around my neighborhood the older mowers that are still going strong are John Deere, Snapper and Cub Cadets. The Craftsmen, Murray and MTDs seem to be replaced more often.

I grew up on a farm with all John Deere equipment so I'm biased towards anything with green paint. My John Deere is 8 years old and has only needed routine maintainance.

Well that doesn't help my confidence much, since most of the reasonable or in my price range used mowers currently for sale online are the 3 brands you listed. Are there certain things to look for or look out for?

Nearly every make nowdays has two or three basic lines of equipment and the differences in quality are great. Things like cheaper motors, axels that are light material etc. I suggest you go to a store and spend some time looking at new ones and try and learn what to look for between the low end and the high end. The low end ones will fail first and you'll also find it hard to find some parts for them. I have to think there's an equipment dealer near you where you can talk to someone who knows what's going on and learn from them. They may even have some used stuff that you can consider. Sorry but IMO you need to spend more than you have to get something that will last unless you run across the widow moving to an apartment sort of deal.

I found one on the c list site for a Sabre which is made by John Deere, any opinion of these? Most of these do not have a bagger, which I think I would want, especially since the yard is just completely covered in leaves at the moment. Is the manual or hydrostatic transmission a better option?

If you are not familiar with or not mechcanicaly inclined I'd be looking for a new one for a few reasons. A breakdown with used ones can really get spendy quick and cost more than a new one was to begin with. I've been using Craftsman for decades with NO major problems at all. I like the 42 inch two bladed decks with the 19 HP Briggs I/C engines with the hydro drive. I can find the replacement blades at auto parts stores for 1/2 the price of Sears replacement blades. They do have a exclusive arbor design, 5 star. Unless you can find a used one from a reliable source I'd steer clear of used ones. Question would be, why are they getting rid of them?

I took a blown engine MTD off a friends hands for free. I thought it would be easy to slap a new motor in there. Hehehe, those cheap ones you can't even get engine parts for (B&S) so I took to buddy at Hugo Feed Mill and they put a new engine in, a good V-Twin 22hp, and had to do some custom exhaust work to get it to work, but it looks stock, runs awesome and is a good engine. Cost me $900... but it has 46" deck, hydrostatic drive and I've been using it for about 4 or 5 years now with only a new battery needed. I guess my point is, beware the cheaper models, like Tom said, you can't get some parts. The Sabre is barely a JD, from what I found on it, can't put it into same category as the "real" JD units.

I had a 30 year old Snapper that kept running and running until someone didn't check oil and blew it up. Old quality units can work great, and parts are easy to find. I am certainly no expert on yard tractors though smile

Good luck.

My dad has a cub cadet and a craftsman and he likes the craftsman better. It has a better cut and the bagger that he got with it works great.

$400 buck isn't much if you have a breakdown with a used one. Labor and replacement costs would probably double that.

Watch the sales at sears, you may get them cheaper in the next couple weeks.

One thing to keep in mind is the width of the mower deck, wider is not always better.

Take into consideration width of any gates, is the yard fenced, trees, gardens, etc. If the mower deck is to big your turning radius is much larger unless you go with a zero turn radius mower.

Also look what attachments are available, I really like my Snapper rider with the dethatcher attachment.

Box - I have an MTD available for parts - twin cylinder Briggs 18HP - strong, burns no oil, no smoke, but has been sitting for a year. If interested I'll check it out. I'll gladly give it away for the cost of shipping. e-mail me privately.

Thabnks oilman, but I already did the new engine several years ago. I bet it is the same motor though smile as that is what used to be in it. Thanks for the offer though!

Box - I have an MTD available for parts - twin cylinder Briggs 18HP - strong, burns no oil, no smoke, but has been sitting for a year. If interested I'll check it out. I'll gladly give it away for the cost of shipping. e-mail me privately.

Oilman - how about some details on the MTD as a learning experience? You seem like the kind of guy who takes care of stuff. What did you pay for the MTD, how long did you own it and how many hours did you have on it when it went bye bye? What was the fatal event?

Many of the newer homeowners could avoid a future problem by learning what the answers are.

Quote:
A rider for a half acre? Personally, I wouldn't bother. In my opinion, it will take you longer with a rider than a decent self-propelled mower.

You must mow with your rider in reverse.

What he said! Some much quicker/easier now on our .5 acre vs a standard self propelled.

Quote:
A rider for a half acre? Personally, I wouldn't bother. In my opinion, it will take you longer with a rider than a decent self-propelled mower.

You must mow with your rider in reverse.

I guess if you have no landscaping to go around.

I mowed my parents' landscaped half acre more times than I can remember, and it never, ever took me longer than an hour, and that was with a push mower.