• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wii console expert needed!

Can anyone tell me if I can hook up an original Wii (no HDMI port) from the Wii to an HDMI input on a New Samsung LED TV? The "Experts" at Best Buy don't have a clue what they are talking about. I get a different answer every time I ask. I haven't been able to find any thing online that will allow me to do this with out an expensive converter.

Thanks.

I don't think there is an HDMI cable for the Wii that I know of. The Wii can only do 480P with analog sound so you will not gain anything with HDMI other than ease of connection. I have my Wii connected to my Samsung using a Component video cable. Then you enable 480P instead of the default 480i in the Wii setup menu. That is the best you can get with the Wii.

My fault for not giving enough info. I want to use the HDMI input on the TV because my DVD player is hooked up to the RCA jacks. I hate having to unhook the DVD to hook up the Wii cables. I guess my only other option is to get a new DVD player. Thanks for the help.

I think that there may be an up converter out there that would make it possible.

You could also buy a multiplexer for all of your old cables. It's a box that I use to hook up all my old game systems into and only one set of cables goes out to the TV. I just have to press a button on it for which system I want to use.

Your best option probably is to just buy a blue ray or up converting DVD player if you have spare hdmi ports.

Are you using component or composite connection right now for your DVD. If you are not sure, what are the colors?

I'm sure your DVD player has an S-Video connection you could use.

Your TV should have composite, component, S-Video, HDMI, and maybe even DVI.

With all those, there should be a way to get both hooked up.

You could get a converter like this:

digiwi_diagram-1.jpg

Down side is they cost over a $100 I can see and you still need to buy an HDMI cable for $30-$90....

They have some direct cables for this, but I am not sure if they are legit or not? One site clams they are a hoax and the converter is the only way.

I am sure if the TV has an HDMI connection, one of the ways Dtro explained would be available and cheaper.

Good luck!

You could get a converter like this:

digiwi_diagram-1.jpg

Down side is they cost over a $100 I can see and you still need to buy an HDMI cable for $30-$90....

They have some direct cables for this, but I am not sure if they are legit or not? One site clams they are a hoax and the converter is the only way.

I am sure if the TV has an HDMI connection, one of the ways Dtro explained would be available and cheaper.

Good luck!

I wouldn't recommend this at all, even if you have tons of money to throw away. HDMI makes no sense for the Wii.

Also there is no reason to spend more than $10-20 on an HDMI cable. You can get them for $10 or less online. These are digital cables and they either work or they don't. A $90 one isn't going to do anything more than a $10 one will do.

spearchucker please reread the follow-up the original poster posted, pulsar_nx's post and then mine. smile

Yes HDMI is not needed when it comes to the Wii, but the original poster wrote out a simple request where he would like to use the HDMI inputs that are currently on the TV. smile

Dtro gave some good examples of easier and cheaper ways, but the original question still stands and I gave an option. smile

Pay $30 for an RCA switch box. Or just keep changing the cables. It might be easier if you run a female/male RCA cable away from the TV. Then just plug into the female end of the free cable rather than having to move the TV.

spearchucker please reread the follow-up the original poster posted, pulsar_nx's post and then mine. smile

Yes HDMI is not needed when it comes to the Wii, but the original poster wrote out a simple request where he would like to use the HDMI inputs that are currently on the TV. smile

Dtro gave some good examples of easier and cheaper ways, but the original question still stands and I gave an option. smile

I have read them all. The original poster never answered why he wanted to use HDMI. My guess is that he will realize that he really doesn't need HDMI, there are other inputs on those Samsung TVs.

I have read them all. The original poster never answered why he wanted to use HDMI. My guess is that he will realize that he really doesn't need HDMI, there are other inputs on those Samsung TVs.

Spearchucker he posted this on the first page:

Originally Posted By: gunmunky
My fault for not giving enough info. I want to use the HDMI input on the TV because my DVD player is hooked up to the RCA jacks. I hate having to unhook the DVD to hook up the Wii cables. I guess my only other option is to get a new DVD player. Thanks for the help.

I have read it, but still recommend against doing it using HDMI. I was just stressing that there are much easier and cheaper ways to get this doen without using the HDMI. Unless he is dead set on using HDMI, then knock yourself out. There are websites that sell component cables for the Wii or the DVD player for less than $5.

I would be surprised if that TV only had one set of component/RCA cable inputs. I know my toshiba has two component, two RCA and 3 HDMI inputs

I'm with spearchuker, there are a lot cheaper options to do it, especially when you aren't gonna get increased resolution out of the hdmi cable.

Shack's option is interesting but not sure I would spend $150 just so I didn't have to unplug/replug cables.

I would be surprised if that TV only had one set of component/RCA cable inputs. I know my toshiba has two component, two RCA and 3 HDMI inputs

I'm with spearchuker, there are a lot cheaper options to do it, especially when you aren't gonna get increased resolution out of the hdmi cable.

Shack's option is interesting but not sure I would spend $150 just so I didn't have to unplug/replug cables.

The new Samsung's have 4 HDMI and 1 of everything else.

EEEK! that sucks. maybe a good idea in 10 years, but I don't think most people are ready to throw out their regular DVD players and wii's quite yet. heck i still run coaxial into an old tv.

Originally Posted By: Nick Kuhn

EEEK! that sucks. maybe a good idea in 10 years, but I don't think most people are ready to throw out their regular DVD players and wii's quite yet. heck i still run coaxial into an old tv.

You don't have to. Use the component (red, green, blue) for the Wii or DVD player. Pretty much any DVD player in the last 5-6 years has component, composite (red,white,yellow), and s-Video. If I was going to buy any converter box, I would spend the money on a home theater receiver and use that to switch everything.

We can't name websites on here, but I just bought a 5 wire component cable (3 video, 2 audio) for the Wii for $3.95. In the Wii setup you can then choose 480P instead of just 480i. This will giv a little better picture on the Wii. Then you could use the other composite video for the DVD, or else buy a standard component cable for the DVD and use the composite for Wii. Either solution is less than $10.