• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sucker run

fishkid

we bowfish suckers during the day when they are running up the streams and i was wondering if they keep running through the nights or do that fall back in the lake in the evening the swim back up in the morning. we wanted to try shootin them at night to switch it up a bit.

I think the sucker run depends on the water temperature rather than the time of year, but it is in the spring pretty shortly after ice out. I would bet they run at night, too but a guy would have to take a look to know. Spearing and archery starts May 1st, so it should be legal for at least some of the runs in the northern parts of the state.

They usually start running the last couple weeks of April depending on the water temps sometimes a little later. From what I have experienced they definitely run at night. I don't know for certain but I think they actually move more at night since its safer for them to move out of the deeper holes. Once they go into the river they stay there until they do there business then they head back to the lake.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I know folks have filleted & ground them up with spices. Then made them into fish patties as well. They aren't bad done properly.

My grandmother pickled suckers too. along with just about every other kind of fish to see how they tasted and I'll tell you that sucker isnt bad but I know I wont try sheephead ever again in my life sick

I really like sucker smoked

perfect. we just need to find a generator so we can lit up our stream we got.

Be sure the waters you'll be night bowfishing on are on the approved statewaide list as designated by rule 6262.0600.

Also, a new reg for this year:

97C.376 BOW FISHING

Subd. 3.Nighttime restrictions on motors. From sunset to sunrise, a person bow fishing with the assistance of a gasoline-powered motor must use a four-stroke engine powered generator. The noise limits for total noise while bow fishing from sunset to sunrise shall not exceed a noise level of 65 decibels on the A scale measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorboat or equivalent noise levels at other distances as specified by the commissioner in a pass-by test or 67 decibels on the A scale measured at idle in a stationary test at least four feet above the water and at least four feet behind the transom of the motorboat being tested. The noise levels under section 86B.321 apply to persons traveling to and from bow fishing sites from sunset to sunrise.

I know folks have filleted & ground them up with spices. Then made them into fish patties as well. They aren't bad done properly.

My dad and grandma used to do this with both suckers and smaller pike. Haven't quite perfected it yet but I am working on it.

They threw chopped onion in the grinder also and seasoned with salt and pepper, then breaded and fried.

Steve

DEADhead, Thanks for that legal definition. It appears that night bowfishing starts on June 1, and is restricted to select lakes. Is that how you read this?

If that is the case, night archery or spearing during the sucker run will not be legal.

Hey guys,

1. were shooting a creek so i dont need a boat

2. we give them to farms for fertilizer and trappers for trapping

3. effective JULY 1st 2009 Changes effective July 1:

4. you are posting old regulations.

Allows night bowfishing statewide from May 1 to the last Sunday in February if u dont belive me contact them.

Today I received word that the new law allowing night bowfishing statewide and the rough fish tournament exemption from the DNR permit system will actually go into effect July 1st! This is officially coming from MNDNR Ed Boggess, NR Asst Division Director. It was recently deemed that because there were two appropriation bills in the game and fish bill, all appropriation laws go into effect July 1st, the entire game and fish bill that was signed into law by Governor Pawlenty takes effect 07-01-09 at 12:00 am. This also means the 65 db rating and the setbacks, 150 feet from occupied structures and 300 feet from campsites, will also go into effect on July 1st.

Sucker patties taste great. I've also had just plain old canned sucker (redhorse, actually) and that was pretty good.

This year I plan on pickling a bunch of redhorse. Pickled pike is so good, I'd imagine that a nice, firm redhorse would pickle up nice, too.

leakywaders

The suckers run depending on water temperature and usually run right after the walleyes. I never have bowfished period but I got into sucker spearing while going to college up at Bemidji because usually they are still running in the northern part of the state by May 1st, and usually is a big school skipping day for alot of kids that go to high school up there. But where I grew up as a kid around St. Cloud they are done running by May 1st, so you miss out pretty much spearing wise. But it really depends on water temps cuz each lake is different size wise and depth wise so you have to put in your leg work to find them. The nice thing about central and southern Minnesota is there plenty of carp, red horse to go after as they spawn later than suckers.

What I do with the suckers is usually get a dozen to smoke cuz thats about all I can eat for summer for smoked fish. I tried pickling them but they didn't turn out at all and usually the rest go for fertilizer in the garden or cat food. I heard of people too grinding them up into fish patties but the key is to have a good batter so the fish sticks together when you fry them up...and I havent found a good recipe for that. If any of you guys do have a reciepe for fish patties please let me know I am willing to try it.

At my local sucker hole, they start to run in May (central Minnesota). It lasts about a week or so and boom, they are gone.

We used to harvest sucker for a friends fertilizer purposes, but thanks to insight from DEADhead & Tyler Holm, we do not do that anymore. The reasons have been stated and thanks to those guys, I have found a new respect for suckers. smile

Carp work great (maybe even better) than suckers for fertilizer. Now! grin Some smoked sucker does sound very good.