• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Top Speeds

Esox_Magnum

Originally Posted By: dbright
Hit 124mph in the u.p. in the middle of january with less then good trail conditions.

So your that guy! frown

HA - Too funny. I was just happy someone posted higher than me, so I wasn't "that guy".

Anyways. I'm pretty confident all or most of these top speeds are reached on lakes and wide open fields. There are very few trails that would accommodate going this fast. I was on the Gandy Dancer the other day and I wasn't even remotely thinking about opening it up with trees lining an otherwise straight and smooth trail.

Hit A deer?

Been there...done that and am "lucky" enough to tell about it.

New years eve 1996, about 4 in the after noon. Four of us riding on the way home to the wives who were preparing steak dinner. The trail was clear and smooth......and then it wasnt.

It happened and was over SO fast, I honestly didn't know what I had hit until I had stopped. It was as if the deer had dropped out of the sky! My buddy, (who was behind me) thought I was dead. He said all he saw was a cloud of snow, parts of my sled 50 feet in the air and a whole lot of blood all over the trail when he came to a stop. The deer was thrashing around with its hind quarters basically ripped off. I was sort of slumped on the seat of my sled wondering what had happened. Luckily I had hit it hard enough to throw the deer up and over me instead of taking my head off. I have to admit, that day made me pretty gun-shy and I realized then, that even with the best of equipment, overdriving surrounding conditions will get you it trouble sooner than later. My top speed on a trail now is the legal limit.

I only open it up on lakes that have been down, becuase lakes are not a good spot to open it up. pressure ridges, spearing blocks, ice house banks, frozen slush, there are many things on lakes that could kill you if your not aware of your surroundings. I open it up more on the straight trails, like railroad grades, and the trails I ride in aitkin co. long stretches of open swamps, were you have very good site lines, and I know the trail. deer are another thing I always watch for. and alcohol and sleds do not mix, I found out the hard way many years ago when I went through the barbed wire fence, that ripped the helment off my head.

I had my 95 Polaris XLT 2 up over 100 mph (Speedo not GPS)once and I will never do it again. On a nice flat piece of Lake Superior by Bayfield. Little bumps get much bigger at that speed. Now Im happy to do 40 on trails and about the same on the lakes. Less if pulling my Otter. Not because the Otter cant handle it but gear no matter how well packed tends to take a beating. Especially them heaters.

Cant believe I am saying this, but I dont know. Wow I am getting old to fast. I do know 90 mph is right now and I will be at 100 before I have fully absorbed I was at 90. I would guess my sled would run out of legs soon after that, maybe 110-115. Wow I am actually going to say this to, but, thats fast enough. At one time the first thing I would do is to see how fast something would go after I got it and I am not even interested anymore. I got to go check in my shorts and make sure the boys are still with me.

Cant believe I am saying this, but I dont know. Wow I am getting old to fast. I do know 90 mph is right now and I will be at 100 before I have fully absorbed I was at 90. I would guess my sled would run out of legs soon after that, maybe 110-115. Wow I am actually going to say this to, but, thats fast enough. At one time the first thing I would do is to see how fast something would go after I got it and I am not even interested anymore. I got to go check in my shorts and make sure the boys are still with me.

What?

Do you realize what it takes to get a sled up to 115?

most sled speedo's are way fast. there are not many sleds that can hit 105, that seems to be the fastest out there, and these are sleds like the F1000. polaris sleds were notorius for having speedo's way high, there is now way a XLT 600 would hit 115, but there speedo's said they did. crazy

most sled speedo's are way fast. there are not many sleds that can hit 105, that seems to be the fastest out there, and these are sleds like the F1000. polaris sleds were notorius for having speedo's way high, there is now way a XLT 600 would hit 115, but there speedo's said they did. crazy

for the record, mine was at a sanctioned radar run grin

I know a guy with the same sled i got, however he only has a tuned single pipe, and possibly a port and polish. the guy he bought it from said it was p and p'd, but wouldn't prove it with a receipt. his ran 114 in 1/4 mile at a different run than mine.

Originally Posted By: knoppers

for the record, mine was at a sanctioned radar run grin

I know a guy with the same sled i got, however he only has a tuned single pipe, and possibly a port and polish. the guy he bought it from said it was p and p'd, but wouldn't prove it with a receipt. his ran 114 in 1/4 mile at a different run than mine.

I did not target you with that, any mod sled can push the 110 mark. I was thinking of stock sled speeds.

vister, was that a SRX600? I had a SX700R, and it was fast, my speedo hit 106 with this, probally high, but my current F8 is much faster, and the speedo hits about 102.

You guys are right about the sleds not reading true and I was thinking of what the sled says, my bad. Point being its fast enough, and I dont ride an xlt. I got a '72' 340 whip.

those scorpions were some good sleds.

I had that 340 whip when I was a kid. Bought it from Grandpa. Dark blue metal flake paint, it was in perfect shape and 100% reliable. Wish I still had it. Also had the scorpion snow suit till just a few years ago. Old lady nagged enough and I gave to goodwill. Traded for a 80 El Tigre 5000. I hated that sled and left such a bad taste in my mouth I have not even considered a cat since. I really should get over the cat thing I guess. But man did I ever hate that thing. 3 piece track come on... Free air cooled what the...

I think I had an evinrude sled before that one, well step dad had it and I tried to claim it but I think it was an evinrude. If I recall it was basically a boat. It had reverse and a cigarete lighter on it. Dont remember the year of it. It was kind of cool really. Not sure what happened to it, I would imagine it went when he went. Ow the younger years...

Got a top speed story on the whip though. I was somewhere between 13 and stupid, years of age. Ice storm, road was thick with perfect smooth ice. Took the sled out and opend it up on tar county road in southern MN just to see how fast it would go. See at one time I would check everything I had for top speed. The SLED said 70 after many miles of slippage & picking up speed. Regarless of how fast it really was, more than 50 I can assure you that, and thinkinking back on that, if I had to stop I would not have been able to and things could have got really ugly. What a moron, ya for getting that cat.

Never really thought of waving my GPS around over my head while riding, (or any other time for that matter) but hey, I'll give that a try next time I'm out. winkwink

Just becareful, I was in a controlled environment (living room). You could get some serious tennis elbow if you get it goin too fast. laughgrinwink

I never spent much time on sleds, I was too busy riding wheelers while I was younger, but I hit a speedo-indicating 95 on my buddy's firecate without a helmet (I know, I know, spare me the rant, dumb-kid disease) and it felt like I was doing about 175. I was curious what it felt like so I lifted my head above the windshield. Just so you guys know, don't try it, it's enough to rip ya off the sled! It's weird, cuz riding sportbikes at 120 is like you're going 60, but for some reason it just feels like you're whipping at 90 on a sled!

120 MPH? On snow or on ice? Just my guess, but I would say on snow at least 200 HP and on ice maybe 175 HP??? Anyone here have access to speed from a dyno'd sled so we're not just blowing smoke??

The NSSR HSOforum has some listings of radar generated speeds on ice for various engine classes. You can project some ideas from that data.

It actually takes less HP than you might think to get to 120 mph. I'd guess about 150 or so. There have been plenty of old AC Thundercats that have broke 120 mph in radar runs or speed runs. A friend of mine used to run IS 700 in the NSSR and held the world record for a bit. He helped me set up my sled, a Polaris 700 XC. I ran 115 on radar with it. It's not that tough, especially if you free the sled up. Rolling resistance is a huge power killer.