• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to do with old broken gun?

I have an old shotgun I bought used in the early 1970's. The pump action was broken a few years ago. I took it to Gander Mt., but they could not make the repairs. Was told that parts are no longer available. Anyone aware of a gunsmith that could make new parts? This was an inexpensive shotgun even when new. It is a JC Penney made by High Standard. Full choke 20 gauge chambered for 2.75" and 3". Please let me know if anyone has an idea of what to do with it.

if it can be fixed, Ahlman's (Morristown, MN) can fix it ... I've had them do several things for me ... I think they're reasonable ... ya could ask for an estimate or have 'em call if it's gonna be over a certain amount ... they have a full machine shop

sounds like a nice gun ... shame to not keep it goin'

if ya still wanna get rid of it, ya could take it to almost any gun show and offer it to anyone with a table of guns

if that's too far away, ya could call the local police (non-emergency), and ask them to come pick it up (I WOULDN'T bring it to the station :-o )

Alhmens is where you want to go. Mike the owner will set you up with what you need. they have a good full time staff of gunsmiths that mike and larry have personally hand selected. They won't do anything unless you give them the go ahead. it is a 1 hr 20 minute drive down to them but it is worth it. I lived down in that area and would stop in just to visit with mike and bruce. they are great guys. I am now in monti but from time to time I will make the drive to go and visit them at the shop. If they think it is not worth fixing then they may offer to buy it from you if you decide to part with it. they would take off the useable parts and maybe it could help fix someone elses gun.

I had a cheap Marlin .22 cal rifle that no longer worked and wasn't worth repairing. I called my local police department (in North St. Paul) and was really surprised that they didn't take old guns and ammo (I had some 10mm ammo I found hunting as well). I called the Ramsey County Patrol Division ((651) 481-1317 ‎) located in Arden Hills, and after a confusing conversation they did indicate they would take my gun and ammo. I guess this bewildered me as I thought the police department would want guns off the streets. They DO NOT come to your house to pick up your gun, you go there and drop it off. Imagine everyone's surprise when I walked in the police station with a gun in my hand. Hehe. I bet that "puckered them up" a little! Anyway, the police did tell me they do a background check on the gun to make sure it wasn't stolen. Also they do make a copy of your drivers license.