• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who hates spearing?

triggertrav

Seriously - i bust my tail all year long to get out during the coldest part of the winter and throw sharp objects at fish for a month/maybe two? I took this week off just to do that. My auger has broke twice, my saw is at the shop getting sharpened, my heater turned into a ball of flames yesterday, and my decoys magically swim out of the harnesses. But the coffee is amazing, the beer is plentiful, and i cannot wait to get out again.

Good Luck All.

I've had many a day like that and worse and not only out in the spear shack but thats when it seems to hit you the most when you sit in the shack and look down the hole only to reflect on the things that went wrong and how bad it was and can it get worse for me ...just then out of the corner of the hole you see something move and thru the steam of your breath you see mr pike looking at your fake decoy and at that moment in time evrything seems stop and all is ok in the world again, well at least in mine I forget about the junk thats happened and wait for that next moment to stop time.

The next time that you can get out to do it again isnt going to be soon enough.

its more than sport its a tradition that goes back a very long time and proud to be a part of it. and who says we dont look and release last season 15 plus pike over 10lbs swam by and look no tine marks thats part of the peace and serenity of it.

well at least for me.

Yes, spearing is much more than throwing a spear.

I certainly hope for all sportsmen that their sport is much more than catching a fish, shooting a bird, duck, deer, bear etc.

If it gets down to that for me, it is time for me to walk away.

Spearing is hunting for fish as one hunts for anything else (not to mention it is the most physically demanding of all sports in terms of setup). Find me an angler opposed to spearing because "there is no sport in it," and I will show you a man with a Vexilar, a GPS with lake map chips, and the newest cutting edge tackle and gear. I hope his fish fillets take the sour taste of hypocrisy out of his mouth...

Spearing has remain largely unchanged for hundreds of years. If anyone opposes spearing, I sure hope they don't hunt...that is hypocrisy, as well, in my mind, or are ducks flying into a spread of decoys somehow different than a pike eyeballing a sucker? You don't have to shoot every duck just as spear-fishermen can choose what to harvest, as well.

If everyone liked the same thing, it would be a very crowded world! Be thankful for what you have and not jealous, envious, or opposed to the enjoyment of others, and you will do a lot better in this world.

Gotta drag myself back out to the spear house, but first gotta finish up a new speaar!! gotta get back into making decoys too, so much work, so little time, at least the spear is only a 5 tiner so only about 2 hours left and it'll be done

I may be opening a can of worms here, but where is the sport?

Take it from here and sell me on spear and no release!!! cool

i'm having a hard time following where this is coming from??? no where did i see triggertrav complaining that he didn't come home with a limit, i took it as not being able to sit down/relax and enjoy the hunt with little effort as possible.

obviously, it didn't go as planned that week for him.

i'm curious as to where "where is the sport" came from in this posting? this last week, i've given up the opportunity to catch walleyes on rattle reels (with almost a guarantee based on past weeks) to go sit in a spear house with the chance to hunt for a pike (in which i've been unsuccesful so far...so it goes). i've seen fish swim through but missed the one that i was after (in response to your Look and Release)...

i think anyone would want to go out and fish/spear/shoot the bull with as little effort required to do so. and if you desire difficulties to come your way, well maybe need challenges/stress to make your trip worthwhile???...i don't grin

sorry but that 25-39 fow is productive as 10 of lees when it comes to spearing. I'm not trying to rub salt in any wounds but I have speared those depths and have done very well.

first off all you dont throw the spear that deep the pike come to the decoy ussally 3-5 foot under the ice. those pike are oppertunistic feeders and will take the dead pan fish that are right under the ice. besides pike dont look down to feed they look up. just look where there eyes are on there head and that will speak for its self.

All sportsman need to stick together. The anti's love nothing more then to see us divided. Just my opinion.

were to strong in my opinion! This sport has been around forever becuase alot of people love the sport! We take less then 1% of the fish for spearing!

Thanks BNS

Who said anything about being divided I will stand behind both spearing and angling.

Let them just ban spearing all together then whats next casting for pike and muskie Hmm I'm sure that the anti's will insist on that it fish harassment, then what fishing all togetther, then they'll start on the hunting side of it.

This Topic started out as WHO HATES SPEARING and I for one LOVE the Sport and Tradition that has been behind it since it has started.