• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's working now-Post what's working for you.

Scott M

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ice2012-13_zps092bd8a9.jpg

Got out today around 3 on a small area lake that generally produces smaller sunfish in decent numbers at early ice.

As you can see by the marcum in the picture the sunnies were lighting up the water column for the majority of the hour and a half I was out. For the first 30-45 minutes you couldnt get the jig to the bottom without a bite. Most fish were in the 6-7 inch range. Here is the first of the year

ice2012-131jpg_zpse90ca1c3.png

The rest were all pretty close in size. Tied on a yellow ratso and fished with waxies, larvae and plain. All worked but some better than others at times. Biggest fish seemed to bite without any meat using a slow rise tactic.

All in all about 20-30 fish in 1.5 hours.

Small bays, inlets to small bays, the right kind of weeds. A lot of times it seems like they will pick an area where the weeds are a little more sparse and sit there most of the summer until they move to the nearest deeper flat.

I havent hit crappies yet. Doing well on big male blue gills. Still trying to hunt down the perch. Going to clear lake in northern iowa friday, hoping the walleyes and perch bite is better than it has been the last few days. Caught 18 nice blue gills this am.

We've been doing very well using Northland impulse mayflies!!. It's reduced the amount of smaller fish we catch, which is a good thing IMO and the bigger gills just pound it!

I'm very impressed with this product, the white glow and white and pink have worked best for us.

Was out on a central MN lake yesterday and found some fish in 11 or 12 FOW right on the bottom. Put down a fairy jig with a couple euros on it and could tease them up a foot or two off the bottom but couldn't get them to strike. Had another rod with a hexi-fly (which is a horizontal presentation instead of a vertical one) so I put a couple euros on it and put it down there. Game on. Those sniffers became biters and I spent the next 2 hours pulling in plenty of sunfish and crappies (as did my son for the last hour and a half). The fished moved around on this flat but if you were either patient or jumped to some new holes, they could be found consistently. Kept a mixed dozen for supper and tossed the rest back for another day. Here's my fishing buddy with a couple of the better ones from the day. full-17742-30244-20130217_174920.jpg

full-17742-30245-20130217_175014.jpg

Was out yesterday and the bite was super slow! Seemed like the only time they bit was when i droped dowm someting new. Caught my first crappie on a frostie tiped with a waxy,next one came on a fathead with a finnese plastic and the last one came on a frostie with a minnow!

nastynate, you just described my sat a.m. i went deep and shallow, nothing marked deep but crappies & sunnies were shallow 15ft or less, caught have dozen very sparatic & lethargic biters. each came only after i had changed lures/bait AGAIN! from jiggin with minnow to very light plactics, rattlin flyers, and all colors, only time i would get a bite is after changing lures and bites were very lite, nothing over 8 inches, all went back

I'm catching fish by dragging a 1/16th oz. roadrunner jig through winter spots. I tried minnows, but had a problem losing them on short strikes. Small twister tails worked better. Caught about 20 in 2 hours. Spot was deeper water adjacent to a weed flat. Fish tended to either smack it or hit it on the drop unnoticeably.

Still getting crappies 21-24 fow, they are suspended at 12-16 ft. Using pink/white tube jig and a lil nipper jig, green/glow in 1/64th with a minnow. Noticed the same on the bite it was a smack on slow natural fall.