• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's working now-Post what's working for you.

Scott M

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, could you fly guys talk in a language the rest of us can understand grin

so for you non-fly guys :P .... i was tossing around a #8 and #10 olive beadhead bugger on my ML and catching tons of gills..

btw.. down this way the gills are loaded up with eggs and ready to drop

I already posted this, but once again on a bead-headed pink squirrel (type of fly for fly fishing, just use a search engine image search for 'pink squirrel fly' for a pic) takes the cake. I was fishing on shore, and outfished the entire group of five teenagers using bobbers and worms.

Cast out, watch the fly sink, wait for it to disappear from eyesight.. It's in the fish's mouth!

I knew that 'gills and fly fishing would be fun together, but I never knew just how much. I've been using my 4wt more this open water season AFTER opener than my spinning rods, even though I could be chasing bass and pike.

I'd imagine that light mono or flouro makes casting them easy.. also a longer rod 6'6-7'.. i can cast #8 buggers with my Pflueger President matched with a ML St Croix...

mainbutter.. you think they are a blast on a 4wt... invest in a lighter fly rod.. they are an absolute blast on a 2wt! laugh

Casting small cranks: I've been using 4# line (Northland Bionic Camo)on a reel that has a large spool for easier line removal. The rods are anywhere from 6 1/2 - 9'. Lately I've been using a 9' Zebco "Slab Seeker" two-piece rod (inexpensive) that has a lot of "whip". Gets the bait out there quite a ways, 30-50', depending on wind, where I'm fishing etc.

Pushbotton - Here you go. White wooly's fished slow got the hits. Starting to heat up good where they chase fast fished flies.

DSC01981.jpg

These are about 1.5"-2" in length. When it heats up I'll throw buggers with a larger bead on a #6 or #8 hook. This usually gets the bigger fish to play.

Wooly Buggers are a type of minnow fly that are almost universal fish catchers. Tie them small and catch panfish, tie them medium to catch bass, and tie them big to catch pike/bass.

Greg - Aren't pannies on cranks great! I've never tried the Yo-Zuri before. I might have to pick a few up. I like the #3 Rattlin Rap and the smallest Salmo Hornet as well for crappies. They are great mid summer when they get tougher to find.

YES! You don't have to take out a loan to try out fly fishing. Though, some people might tell you otherwise.

For $95 you can get the Scientific Anglers Panfish kit with everything you need. For a start up kit, it's actually pretty decent. I started my fly fishing obsession with the Cortland kit and it left a little to be desired.

If you want to put your own set up together, don't skimp on the line. Buy the best you can afford. Usually the e b a y has a few spools of good line for ~$40. SA Mastery line is top notch.

Head over to the fly forum for a few threads on the subject of beginning fly fishing laugh

Yes you can get by with less $, I spent certainly under two bills.. (I THINK $150?) on a cabelas kit, everything you need (rod, reel, line, leaders, flies, pouch, fly box, rod case, and even an instructional DVD which was pretty good, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff). There are plenty of rod/reel combos for under $100, but because they throw in even just the line and rod case, it's a pretty good deal. If I was going to buy a second heavier setup to fish for pike and bass, I'd get the same kit again just in a heavier version.

Or you can just fish a fly under a bobber laugh instead of a hook and bait, just tie a fly. Something that sinks (usually has a little bead head on it) and looks furry or "bug-y" grabs bluegill attention nicely.

Now where's my camera so I can post a few pics of my recent catches?

I personally would suggest a Redington Crosswater 5wt.. great rod/reel setup for the price.. I picked up an 8wt earlier in the year and so far I have loved the feel of this rod.. personally thinking of picking up a 4pc 5wt Crosswater for a more packable rod for when I go backpacking... Also Redington rods are made by SAGE.. whom make amazing higher end fly rods.. Crosswater combo will run you $110 at the most

Thanks guys! I know this is getting borderline off topic and will check out the forum, but do think fly fishing for panfish, especially in the spring, can really increase your chances for success over the proverbial hook, line and sinker approach. Appreciate all your input to this thread.

I've had times where it was very difficult to catch crappies on my standard spinning rod presnetations so I switched over to my fly rod and did pretty good. There are times and yes, you don't have to spend too much $$$ to get started.

OnAFly - Love the panfish crankbait bite. I've found myself making a new small crankbait box just for this purpose. FUN!

Thanks guys! I know this is getting borderline off topic and will check out the forum, but do think fly fishing for panfish, especially in the spring, can really increase your chances for success over the proverbial hook, line and sinker approach. Appreciate all your input to this thread.

also for flies for pannies.. you really don't have to go out and buy anything expensive.. if you plan on just using your fly rod for pannies.. i would go get one of those cheap-o South Bend fly sets...

btw.. my first fly rod was a Shakespeare combo that i bought from FF for like $30.. and it'll definitely do the job

Did well this past weekend up in NW WI with a crappie minnow under a float off of the dock... in 6 FOW, had the crappie minnow chillin about 1.5 feet off bottom.

The "panfish" size leeches worked well also.

I had a few on a snap bean, but did not try that for tooo long.

I keep leaving my fly rod at home when I head north though, I really need to just put that in my car for next time... there have been days where there was an obvious hatch... crappies all over the surface, and none of em paying attention to that tasty minnow hangin out in the middle of em all.

Was up near Park Rapids fishing for walleyes. We were using crawlers with a soft body floater and stinger hooks. We caught a few walleyes but the fun came when we were catching gills 8 to 10 inches. We didn't light the world on fire but we found the gills this way and set up on them with normal gear and picked more up a long with some crappies.