• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

insulating your portable?

HaRdWaTeR jUnKy

maybe this has been a topic already, but has anyone tried using the thin silver bubble insulation or any other type of insulation in thier portables...i saw a guy that has his ceiling lined with this but never got the chance to ask him how it worked, does anyone else have any other good ideas for this, instead of throwing $1000 towards an r2tec or clam thermal?

Reflectix on the ceiling will make a big difference for keeping your shack warmer and a lot less condensation. Should cost you around $30 and only taks about 30 minutes to install for a flip over style shack.

I am looking to add insulation on my hub style shacks (Clam Hub & Eskimo Quickfish 6). Reflectix is too rigid. Does anyone know of a good blanket type insululating solution, preferably with a side that has a reflective coating/layer??

If I can find the right blanket solution, I should be able to install & remove very easily by using velcro (assuminng it is a fabric material) attached to the ceiling poles.

Thats one drawback to the non-thermal hub shacks from my experience. Thin fabric walls and a lot of condensation.

Reflectix on the ceiling will make a big difference for keeping your shack warmer and a lot less condensation. Should cost you around $30 and only taks about 30 minutes to install for a flip over style shack.

Just did my 3 man now to test it out, pretty easy to install and seems to stay well.

I ran reflectix all of last year in one of my portables and really enjoyed the stuff. Just bought a nanook and plan on throwing some in there as well. Many benefits besides being significantly warmer....

-Condensation no longer drips

-They block off light during the day and fully closed, but allow even light distribution when the windows are open or running an external light source. One strip of LED's is BRIGHT in a reflectix portable.

-Fabric flapping in strong winds is eliminated or cut down drastically depending on where you place it.

-They fold easy and out of the way.

-Hanging fans, lights or other items from support poles won't wear holes in the fabric.

3m43o73p75Te5Sf5R29b8a8e2ebfa19ad13.jpg

Skunked, I picked mine up where you save BIG money....they typically run a sale on it around this time so keep your eyes peeled. Otherwise FF would probably carry it.

I went to Home Cheapo asking for Reflectix, and the guys looked at me like I was requesting moon rocks. Do I need to travel down to Fleet Farm for this stuff?

The other store you said does have in the heating and cooling area.

Anyone that has done this, how does it fold down? Does it bunch up a lot? Could you send a pic of what it looks like when folded down. I am thinking about doing it also on the Voy, but don't want to be out on the lake at 20- below at night trying to fold the thing up if it's going to be a pain! frown

I put it in my one man and I don't notice it's there. It doesn't bundle or anything, it just folds down and you can't tell it's there with the travel cover on.

Might be more difficult with a bigger shack, I don't know. All I know is that it works well in my one man.

buy the big roll of reflectix. I use it just on the inside

top, going over the suport polls and let it hang down a few inches. 10 to 15 degrees warmer with it on. 1st i set up the house than slide refectix over the polls. then when i'm done i roll it back up and trough it in the back seat of my truck. the stuff never gets in my way. one of the best and easiset way to insulate. if you do have to tape any parts of it, do it in a warm house, some, cold tape doesn't want to stick very good.

No noticable folding issues with my 3 man, but only put it up and down a couple times so far. I ran mine over the poles and cut slits for the velcro and refastened to the poles seems to stay where I put it, I had to use the 16" wide stuff couldnt find anything wider. I did use packing tape on the seams but had it in the house and warm so far so good, that stuff is alot tougher than it looks.

I too use reflectix in my otter and it is awesome stuff . It is easy to fold up and mine has been going strong for three years going into its fourth . No condensation on the ceiling and it really spreads the light . I never bothered doing the walls .

TD

I picked up the medium size roll of reflectix ($17-18), it was just the right amount to cover the ceiling on my predator. Grabbed a roll of the reflectix tape while I was at it, only a couple bucks and it was enough to tape the seams on one side. I'd recommend getting two rolls so you have enough to hit the front and back of the seams.

You can tell it makes a huge difference for light, I haven't tested if for heat yet but I don't expect it to let me down. Will find out this weekend for sure.

Alright all you reflectix pros. I recently installed this in my wild 2 man on the ceiling and the rear, from just above the door all the way across to the sled. Right now I just have the back cut extra long and just kinda hangin there until i think of what to do with it. How did you guys fasten it at the bottom by the tub. Should I just pin it to the canvas, tuck it into the clips or what?

Alright all you reflectix pros. I recently installed this in my wild 2 man on the ceiling and the rear, from just above the door all the way across to the sled. Right now I just have the back cut extra long and just kinda hangin there until i think of what to do with it. How did you guys fasten it at the bottom by the tub. Should I just pin it to the canvas, tuck it into the clips or what?

I'd get some 3M velcro tape to attach it to the tub. I like velcro because it allows the reflectix to detach easily rather than tear apart if it gets caught on something while you pop open the canvas. Make sure both mounting surfaces are clean and it should stick pretty good!

Has anyone tried using the silver Emergency Blankets or Space Blankets that you find in the camping, hiking, hunting areas? I thought someone had posted something about that before .... I always wondered about that idea because it's thinner and less bulky than Reflectix????