• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are you ready for winter,

Hwood

Love the personality of number two, a sweet image as I've rarely seen images of this species in transitionary fur like this. The third is my favorite image though, what a fantastic environmental shot of this red squirrel, easily one of the best red squirrel enviro shots I've ever seen.

Wow,thanks all.

Ya know Steve I am going on about a year with a camera now and I should ask for feed back in hopes of ending up with more enjoyable picture. I may even be able to process some of the information I am given to do such a thing now. So, please do.

Tonight on my way home I saw a white animal zig-zagging back and forth all over the highway, sure enough it was a white hare.

The squirrel shot is superb. The composition is great and I like how ole redtail is leaning against the stump for support.

Gotta throw my 2 cents in too - the composition on the second bunny and squirrel are absolutely wonderful. Composing pleasing and unique images is really a very special talent, it appears you've nailed it! It's one of the things I struggle with constantly - not that I get the technical aspect that well either!

So congrats on a couple of amazing shots - and the other two are darn nice as well.

The third is my favorite image though, what a fantastic environmental shot of this red squirrel, easily one of the best red squirrel enviro shots I've ever seen.

I'm all over this one too! Simply put, it catches the eye and tells the story. That IMHO is what ultimately distinguishes a truly great photograph!

Ya know Steve I am going on about a year with a camera now and I should ask for feed back in hopes of ending up with more enjoyable picture. I may even be able to process some of the information I am given to do such a thing now. So, please do.

Hwood, I don't usually troll so shamelessly to see if a critique is OK, because a lot of folks just post pics in here to have fun sharing, and I don't want to take any of the fun out of photography for anyone.

So, sorry about that. I went there because I saw so much potential in that squirrel photograph. I do a lot of cropping on my own images on occasion to get rid of distracting elements I couldn't control at capture, and to emphasize key elements in an image.

In your fine squirrel image, the structure of the broken off wood, moss and lichen all made my eye want to go there, so in the following panoramic crop I just got rid of the things my eye wasn't interested in to emphasize the things it was.

You may like it better or you may not. Cropping is very much an individual expression of the photographic art. Hope doing this is OK with you, and if it's not I'll pull it.

panosquirrel.jpg

Thanks folks, glad you enjoyed.

Steve. The branches from the balsam that came out into the picture bugged me when I took the picture and I broke them off later. After seeing your crop I agree those balsams and some of the background wasn't doing much for the picture. I have been watching this stump return to the earth for several years now, always liked the looks of it. So I would say fair amount of my focus was on the stump itself. Just recently I opened it up a bit around the stump and started to look at it more when walking by. Still needed something, threw some corn into the pit and here we are. A grouse head sticking up between the spikes was the end result I had hoped for. (Boy,just came clean on that one). I like where you took the image, thanks for the interest.

I just now noticed the second Hare hiding in the back. His camouflage is working pretty good, at least as far as my eyes go. I think the squirrel picture is great. I like the way it appears as though he is leaning against the stump eating lunch without a care in the world.

That first picture is not that great but I worked hard to get those two rabbits in one shot. So someone was going to look at it, gosh darn it all. Just a couple more feet and I would have had a better angle but bunny one split.

I went back to the red squirl shot and spent some time on it by removing the branches I did not like, it turned out, ok. Did that more for myself and I am not trying to beat this thread to death by put the pic back up, but I noticed an interesting face after I was all done. Really did not see it all taking shape, just when I was done. Far right tree in the background just above center. Really sticks out once you notice it, if you see what I see that is.

4129202587_e2b4ed5b33_b.jpg

Rather large nose! You don't suppose it was one of the Viking explorers. I think it has horns sticking out of its hat. You aren't beating this to death. There was obvious interest in the photo, and between your willingness to receive and Steve's willingness to give constructive criticism we have all learned.